What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Yesterday's efforts
B - McDonalds sausage & egg mcmuffin (no muffin, natch)
L - usual turkey salad & mayo from Subway
D - BACON

S - pint of beer and some red wine

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

MrsHutt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
B: cup of tea X 2
L: Lidl low carb roll, fried mushrooms, butter, jam
D: pork sweet and sour, 'better than rice', low carb home made banana and peanut butter ice cream - delicious!!
S: Atkins Bounty type thing

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. My food today was fine until this evening.
b. Raspberries and cream

L. Slice of ham with boiled egg. Low carb blueberry muffin

D. Indian restaurant. A popadom , mixed kebab and chicken jalfrezi with half a small nan. I just couldn't resist.

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: small fry up and a latte
L: not needed
4pm: LC hot choc
D: leftover curry from a few days ago. Mainly veg. Hotter now! :wacky: And a coyo.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
B: chia pudding
L: Nandos Mediterranean salad
D: cod with fennel and chicory dressed with mustard, ginger Mayo dressing

S: Chablis and sainsburys sugar free chocolate

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Eventful food day yesterday ...
B - McDonalds
No Lunch
D - Home made KFC style fried chicken with cauli rice, pepper & spring onions (and in an act of self-flagellation I made fresh chips for everyone else)
S - 2 Tesco mini salami, lashings of Merlot and a Budweiser

The chicken was excellent. Maybe not quite the same as the Colonel's secret recipe but pretty good. And I finally got a version of cauli rice that tasted good; all I did was dry fry it slowly for about fifteen minutes and it took on a nice nutty taste.

Here's a thing - somebody (and I can't remember who) posted on here that lager doesn't give them a spike, so I had to give that a go. Hello Mr Budweiser... BG before drinking - 5.3. One hour post - 6.4. Two hours post - 4.9 !! HA HA HA HA!
All I have to do now is figure out a way to genuinely enjoy lager. Apart from Bud & Peroni I don't really like them. I was always a real ale man *sighs wistfully*

Reactions: 10 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Everyone seems to have cream with coffee in there diets is there a reason for this as it something I have never thought of.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Thank you Geoffers Taylor didn't know that as I am new to all of this, been having skimmed milk since I was diagnosed, what kind of cream is best or does it matter?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@amgrundy Apparently skimmed milk has sugars added to give it more taste once the full fat has been reduced, so it isn't good for diabetes. Cream gives us the added fats to help replace the 'full' feeling we get from carbs. Double cream is even better.

Reactions: 4 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@amgrundy Double cream is much more calorific than single cream but it has lower carbs. Of course they both contain loads more fat than skimmed milk.

Many of us are not just eating low carb - we're eating high fat as well. That's something you should consider before switching to cream in your coffee,

Reactions: 9 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Fried Egg, 2xBacon, 2xChipolata, Tomato
L: Salmon & Rocket Pate on 1 Carrs Water Biscuit
S: Peperami
D: Large Rib Eye, Creamed Mushrooms & Roasted Veg
Stilton & Boursin on 3xCarrs Water Biscuits.........................................2 finger kitkat at 2:30AM

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
It was supposed to be a fasting day but it went a bit wrong from the outset. :(

B: should have been black coffee but OH accidentally put a couple of tbs of double cream in it. Waste not, want not - so I enjoyed it.

L: should have been nothing but I went chocolate shopping, got distracted by some very nice 75% and accidentally ate a little bar (only 7.6g of carbs)

D: Roast lamb rump steaks, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, a few broad beans, roast bulb of garlic, possibly some roasted rosemary celeriac (if the celeriac is okay - it's been in the fridge for over a week) if it's not okay then I'll roast the cauliflower- and some mint sauce.

It's my 'long weekend' from work this week so I'm off tomorrow and Tuesday and I'll fast those days. I don't normally like to fast on consecutive days but I will this week.

Reactions: 4 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Apart from the full fat / low carb benefits of double cream in your coffee, I also think it has psychological benefits. There is no way I could ever feel deprived when I start the day with a lush mug of rich creamy coffee - it's so very satisfying. It also helps counteract the dreaded dawn phenomenon aka liver dump.

Reactions: 9 people

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Eventful food day yesterday ...
B - McDonalds
No Lunch
D - Home made KFC style fried chicken with cauli rice, pepper & spring onions (and in an act of self-flagellation I made fresh chips for everyone else)
S - 2 Tesco mini salami, lashings of Merlot and a Budweiser

The chicken was excellent. Maybe not quite the same as the Colonel's secret recipe but pretty good. And I finally got a version of cauli rice that tasted good; all I did was dry fry it slowly for about fifteen minutes and it took on a nice nutty taste.

Here's a thing - somebody (and I can't remember who) posted on here that lager doesn't give them a spike, so I had to give that a go. Hello Mr Budweiser... BG before drinking - 5.3. One hour post - 6.4. Two hours post - 4.9 !! HA HA HA HA!
All I have to do now is figure out a way to genuinely enjoy lager. Apart from Bud & Peroni I don't really like them. I was always a real ale man *sighs wistfully*

How did you do the chicken then?

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
How did you do the chicken then?

@teacher123
A recipe by the chef Tom Kerridge.
Soak the chicken in buttermilk overnight. Mix 100g flour, 50g cornflour, lots of paprika, then basil, oregano, marjoram, sage, chilli powder, salt, & garlic. Scrape off the buttermilk and roll each piece of chicken in the mix.

I then differ from the chef. He shallow fries each piece until cooked. I'm nervous about getting that right, so I deep-fry each piece for only a minute to crisp the coating, then I bang the whole lot in the oven at 200 degrees C for about 40 minutes.

Proper yum.

FloraDora

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Berries and Greek Yoghurt. Slice of Lidl protein roll with butter and peanut butter
L: Ham, lettuce & homemade Waldorf salad
D: Courgetti Prawns

Reactions: 5 people