What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

D

Deleted member 43917

B - smoothie with some avocado, almond milk, coriander, red pepper, carrot & celery
L - sardines mashed with white wine vinegar, cucumber & red pepper
D - smoothie with some courgette, kale, red pepper, a small chunk of banana, and ginger; cheese sandwich
S - several teaspoons of almond butter

Reactions: 4 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffee n cream

L: chicken, creamy broccoli, The Bomb BK burger, no bun

D: courgette in butter, steak, egg, pepsi max

S: coffee n cream

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
B - smoothie with some avocado, almond milk, coriander, red pepper, carrot & celery
L - sardines mashed with white wine vinegar, cucumber & red pepper
D - smoothie with some courgette, kale, red pepper, a small chunk of banana, and ginger; cheese sandwich
S - several teaspoons of almond butter
I've been trying an avocvada/almond milk smoothie with blueberries and it's been awful. I didn't think to try it as a savoury. Thanks.

Reactions: 2 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yesterday
B - Peanut butter mug cake, coffee & cream
L - 2 "Heck" 97% sausages and "oopsie" bread. I'm not bothering with oopsie bread again
D - Bacon
S - pork scratchings and a session on the booze.

A single pint of lager doesn't seem to spike me.. Six, however ... :wacky:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Scrambled Eggs & Smoked Salmon
L: Grilled Haloumi with a lemon and caper dressing
D: Duck breast in a red wine sauce, asparagus, broccoli, green beans.
Various Cheeses with 4 Water Biscuits.
Shared 2 bottles of Cotes du Rhone Villages plus a JD & Zero.

Reactions: 3 people

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I need help to understand why people drink smoothie to reduce their blood sugars. I see perfectly good low carb high fat meals pre blending that are being turned into a faster absorbed drink. I thought you were trying to reduce the blood sugar rushes not increase the speed in which your food turns into glucose.

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I need help to understand why people drink smoothie to reduce their blood sugars. I see perfectly good low carb high fat meals pre blending that are being turned into a faster absorbed drink. I thought you were trying to reduce the blood sugar rushes not increase the speed in which your food turns into glucose.
I'm just trying to find ways to make avocado palatable!!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
]

I am confused about that too. I like the 'idea' of a smoothie but I like eating the food too and I am afraid of what it would do to BS so I haven't tried it.

I'm just trying to find ways to make avocado palatable!![/QUOTE

Avocado is one of my favorite foods but I don't care for it just out of the skin. I love it smashed with sea salt but there are plenty of other ways to eat it. You can add salsa, jalapenos, lime/lemon juice, coriander/cumin, cilantro. This might sound weird but I like putting turkey/chicken chunks with oregano and sage in a smashed one. I think however it is eaten it requires sea salt for my taste buds. Changes the whole thing. I also find it to be very BS friendly

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Yesterday
B - Peanut butter mug cake, coffee & cream
L - 2 "Heck" 97% sausages and "oopsie" bread. I'm not bothering with oopsie bread again
D - Bacon
S - pork scratchings and a session on the booze.

A single pint of lager doesn't seem to spike me.. Six, however ... :wacky:
Hi How do you make the peanut butter mug cake

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Slice a lidl protein roll sideways and toast. While it's toasting scoop out an avocado and mash with a squeeze of lime juice, a little salt and hot pepper sauce. Spread the avocado mixture on the 'toast' and scoff. Even my avocado hating husband likes this.

Wayne36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi not sure if this is the right post i'm new to this, i was diagnosed almost 2 weeks ago just want to know if blood/sugar levels are normal....I had dinner about 2 hours ago i had gammon, broccoli, brussels, courgette, aubergine, 3 small roast potato's and 2 pieces of parsnip with a bit of gravy, before my was blood/sugar was 8.6 and after it was 9.4 i'm thinking that's good and considering just over 2 weeks ago i was 30.6 i'm guessing i'm doing really well so i'm happy. Diabetic nurse said they only give monitors to people when they're hypoglycemic so had to buy my own monitor (My Life Pura X) but is was relatively cheap so wasn't really a problem thanks for reading!

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Slice a lidl protein roll sideways and toast. While it's toasting scoop out an avocado and mash with a squeeze of lime juice, a little salt and hot pepper sauce. Spread the avocado mixture on the 'toast' and scoff. Even my avocado hating husband likes this.
Yummy will be trying that:cool:

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi not sure if this is the right post i'm new to this, i was diagnosed almost 2 weeks ago just want to know if blood/sugar levels are normal....I had dinner about 2 hours ago i had gammon, broccoli, brussels, courgette, aubergine, 3 small roast potato's and 2 pieces of parsnip with a bit of gravy, before my was blood/sugar was 8.6 and after it was 9.4 i'm thinking that's good and considering just over 2 weeks ago i was 30.6 i'm guessing i'm doing really well so i'm happy. Diabetic nurse said they only give monitors to people when they're hypoglycemic so had to buy my own monitor (My Life Pura X) but is was relatively cheap so wasn't really a problem thanks for reading!
Hi Wayne36 I don't know what others think, same as me I guess but saying you were only diagnosed 2 weeks ago with a BG reading of 30.6 and now down to single figures I think you have done really well. No wonder your happy:happy: I am begining to think all doctors and diabetic nurses have there own ideas on Diabetic needs. I was 19.3 in Jan this year and given a meter and tablets straight away, this Diabetic NHS thing is so confusing. No wonder we are confused. Keep with us.:confused:

Wayne36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yeah it is confusing the diabetic nurse was like eat this don't eat that do this do that, well it's my body so i'll decide what's good and bad for me everyone's different so the same thing won't necessarily work for every person lol

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If its the taste that you dont like why eat it at all. Plenty of other oils you can add.
If you want to find something for the texture mashing helps. Treat it like butter or mayonise, whip it and spread it for other foods. Nice juicy steak smeared with avocado butter. I think it changes flavour and texture if you process it differently. I love eating it as a fruit, just sliced You could always grate it and mix it with fresh vegetables

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi How do you make the peanut butter mug cake
Easy peasy. Two big tablespoons of peanut butter + 1 egg. Mix thoroughly in a mug and microwave for 90 seconds. Cake.

Some folks add vanilla, stevia etc, What's also nice is to push a small square of chocolate into the cake as soon as it leaves the microwave, so that it melts and becomes like a gooey choccie filling.

Tip - Tesco value peanut butter is only 62p and has way fewer carbs than many other brands.

Reactions: 5 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for all the avocado advice. It's not that I don't like them per se, but I've really gone off them by themselves, especially the texture. Since they're so good for a LCHF diet I want to persevere. I will try the mashing, lemon juice type approach and report back.

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Easy peasy. Two big tablespoons of peanut butter + 1 egg. Mix thoroughly in a mug and microwave for 90 seconds. Cake.

Some folks add vanilla, stevia etc, What's also nice is to push a small square of chocolate into the cake as soon as it leaves the microwave, so that it melts and becomes like a gooey choccie filling.

Tip - Tesco value peanut butter is only 62p and has way fewer carbs than many other brands.
I find lots of tesco value range has way fewer ingredients and taste lovely. They are almost back to basis food groups without the preservatives.