Insulin and Metformin

Spharl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My son has been insulin dependent for the past 14 years. At his last clinic appointment he was prescribed Metformin to take long term as well as insulin, has anyone had experience of this? The side effects look nasty so we are very hesitant to start on the tablets.

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted member 83869

Being put on metformin 2 weeks ago was the best thing since the pump! I haven't had any side effects and they are only listed on there as they have to be that doesn't mean he will have any! Since being on metformin my bloods have rarely been above a 10!! If it doesn't work out for him then you can always stop taking them but tbh I wish they had put me on metformin years ago instead of messing about just talking about it!

YorkshireAli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been on Metformin and insulin for about 18 months now I think, and it seems to be helping my insulin resistance. The one thing I had a problem with at the beginning was being prescribed bog-standard Metformin (the cheaper kind, apparently), which had pretty horrible side-effects. Very uncomfortable, to put it mildly! But my prescription was amended to the slow-release form and that's been absolutely fine - I'm on 2000mg (2 tablets twice a day).

Andy-Sev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on Metformin for 4 months and not had the problems you hear others are having. I only have to take one tablet a day at breakfast which I do mid breakfast and wash it down with 200ml of water which seems to do the trick.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Metformin makes a slight improvement with blood sugar when on insulin. It does help reduce insulin resistance a bit so is good for those who have excess weight. If it gives bowel problems then ask for the Slow Release (SR) version.

Spharl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for your comments everyone, really appreciate it. It's much better to hear from actual users than solely rely on product info online. We're still in discussions about whether to start on it but you've made me feel better about him trying it. Thanks again.

xxAJxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does metformin help to control blood sugars in a type 1 that cant get blood sugars under control at all, ive been type 1 for 9 years and no matter what i do i cant seem to regulate my bs, either high or low and very rarely within normal range, and what exactly is insulin resistance? Sorry for asking all this on someone elses post, i cant quite figure out how to post this seperately :(

Lyndseyx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Been Type 1, for 40 years. Been on 500mg X 4 of Metformin for 8 years. Prescribed for weight control which helped. Reduced insulin by 50%. No side effects, other than a bit of flatulence at night. Lol, good luck x

D

Deleted member 83869

I'm on the pump and since being on 2000mg of metformin a day my daily basal insulin has reduced by 2u already....may not seem a lot but on the pump that is hahaha

Applenerd81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs
I have been on met Sr. On and off, I found my blood glucose more unpredictable and didn't lose any weight (as I had hoped). Switched to lchf (diet) and ditched met, statins and lisinopril - weight, blood lipids and glucose never been better. I found met. to be a waste.

alaska

Type 1s developing insulin resistance and needing to take metformin is becoming more and more common.

Metformin will help but the best thing he can do is to ensure his diet is not reliant on processed foods.

He should (as should all of us) eat largely home prepared meals with a good vegetable content and find time to get out and be active at least one every other day.

DAFNE recommend that people with type 1 should not be injecting more than 24 units of basal insulin in a day. If he's taking more than 24 units of basal insulin per day this will encourage insulin resistance.

DAFNE note that when patients reduce their basal insulin down to 24 units, the patients typically maintain the same sugar levels despite being on a lower basal dose.

He shouldn't change his dose based on what a forum member says but if he can speak to a DAFNE trained educator about this matter, it could be helpful for him.

Ed

YorkshireAli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1s developing insulin resistance and needing to take metformin is becoming more and more common.

Metformin will help but the best thing he can do is to ensure his diet is not reliant on processed foods.

He should (as should all of us) eat largely home prepared meals with a good vegetable content and find time to get out and be active at least one every other day.

DAFNE recommend that people with type 1 should not be injecting more than 24 units of basal insulin in a day. If he's taking more than 24 units of basal insulin per day this will encourage insulin resistance.

DAFNE note that when patients reduce their basal insulin down to 24 units, the patients typically maintain the same sugar levels despite being on a lower basal dose.

He shouldn't change his dose based on what a forum member says but if he can speak to a DAFNE trained educator about this matter, it could be helpful for him.

Ed

I never knew this - I don't remember them saying this on the DAFNE course I did. Interesting though. I'm trying to lose weight, am on LCHF (without cheating!) and am reasonably active, walking my dog every day - so in theory I should be dropping the pounds, but I'm not. I'm on 30 units of Lantus a day, and a daily total of around 10 units or less of Humalog. I'm wondering now whether I should reduce the Lantus and up the Humalog instead?

Off to call my DAFNE lady....

Reactions: 2 people

Gummybear1969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi im new to this. Been type 2 for 9 years on metformin and they work great for me I take 4×500g a day and have had no problems at all

Gummybear1969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I never knew this - I don't remember them saying this on the DAFNE course I did. Interesting though. I'm trying to lose weight, am on LCHF (without cheating!) and am reasonably active, walking my dog every day - so in theory I should be dropping the pounds, but I'm not. I'm on 30 units of Lantus a day, and a daily total of around 10 units or less of Humalog. I'm wondering now whether I should reduce the Lantus and up the Humalog instead?

Off to call my DAFNE lady....
When I was on they 2 insulin es I put on 4 stone I'm now on metformin and refuse point blank t9 use insulin