The 8 week blood sugar diet

JonHayter

Hi I was just wondering if anyone out there is on this diet. I have just started it on Monday and have lost 4lb already. My fasting bloods are down from 7.5 to 5.9 although they do fluctuate. I am finding it hard going as I'm craving bread especially in the mornings not too bad the rest of the day. If anyone else is doing this diet I would love to hear how you are getting on as I think I'm going to need a lot of support to do it for 8 weeks!

I'm going away for the weekend so I'm not sure how I'm going to cope with eating out!

Cheers

Mallins
I got diagnosed at the start of December last year, and after the initial shock and then reading through the "rubbish" given to me by the NHS I got the great advice of "embrace it!" I did some research and found the book in W H Smith's.
Without a doubt this has changed my life! My sugars were initially 26 and I was put on 2000mg of Metformin. Since January I've lost 2and a half stone 6 inches off my waist and I'm down to 1000my of Metformin aiming at 500 next week, aiming to be drug free by May!
Yes I go to a gym now walking 3 times a week but this book is awesome it's massively changed my life. I follow the diet 5 and a half days a week using the rest of the week for "sensible" (sometimes!) treats as a reward!
Can't recommend it highly enough.
Good luck

Reactions: 7 people

badass

Hi I have also started the diet and I'm nearing the end of week two. I lost just under 10lbs in the first week and have lost more slowly in the second week and like you my blood sugar readings have fluctuated between 6.4 to 9.7. I have noticed I am sleeping well and feel more energized than I have for a long time . Keeping going , it will be worth it.
Hi Grenada, I am also just coming to the end of second week , I have lost 10lb so far and blood sugars down to 5 and 6 so very happy , I had a little wobble last night so had a small square of Lindt 90%cocoa chocolate and it seemed to take the edge off my craving , that is the first time I have really struggled , keep it up I think it will be worth it

Reactions: 2 people

summer dreamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bought the book and reading through now. I've been vegetarian for 30 years but realise that what I had always thought was a healthy diet has made me ill........way too many carbs.
Bizarrely a friend has recently had a baby without having any antenatal care, it did not go well. Her experience made me think about how entrenched she is in her beliefs about childbirth, to the point of being dangerous. It was a lightbulb moment as I've realised that's how I am about being vegetarian. I need to get a grip on my diet and lose a serious amount of weight........or die. That's the stark reality!
I tried 5:2 for 6 months but didn't lose any weight at all. Really hope I can overcome the battle in my head, eat clean, eat healthy and get well.

Summer x

Reactions: 6 people

captainlynne

Finishing the 8-weeks tonight. Have lost 27 pounds, fasting bloods from 10.9 to under 6 (used to struggle getting it below 7). BP down. Feeling great, more energy, thinking more clearly. Dropped almost 2 dress sizes. More weight to lose so may just go for the next 8-weeks.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bought the book and reading through now. I've been vegetarian for 30 years but realise that what I had always thought was a healthy diet has made me ill........way too many carbs.
Bizarrely a friend has recently had a baby without having any antenatal care, it did not go well. Her experience made me think about how entrenched she is in her beliefs about childbirth, to the point of being dangerous. It was a lightbulb moment as I've realised that's how I am about being vegetarian. I need to get a grip on my diet and lose a serious amount of weight........or die. That's the stark reality!
I tried 5:2 for 6 months but didn't lose any weight at all. Really hope I can overcome the battle in my head, eat clean, eat healthy and get well.

Summer x
I'm not veggie myself, but there are plenty low carb eating veggies on here, who manage their condition through diet and exercise.

Have a look on the wider forum at the What have you eaten today and veggie recipe threads for starters.

Reactions: 4 people

rozell1950

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I was just wondering if anyone out there is on this diet. I have just started it on Monday and have lost 4lb already. My fasting bloods are down from 7.5 to 5.9 although they do fluctuate. I am finding it hard going as I'm craving bread especially in the mornings not too bad the rest of the day. If anyone else is doing this diet I would love to hear how you are getting on as I think I'm going to need a lot of support to do it for 8 weeks!

I'm going away for the weekend so I'm not sure how I'm going to cope with eating out!

Cheers

Mallins
Yes I've just started it
I haven't felt hungry I am mainly following the suggested menu plan at the back of the book , I have been following the 5/2 diet only eating 800 calories two days a week and only ate in the evening each day , saving the calories for my main meal , I have lost two stone on this diet , but this alone hasn't brought my blood sugar , and blood pressure down enough , just got my BMI down to 29 , I always start my day with a glas of hot water with half a lemon squeezed into it , I think it help stave off hunger pains , the book recommends going onto 5/2 diet after the eight weeks to maintain the weight loss ,
264e65fbd3a05b6407b01e00e4ffa23a.jpg
got mine today going to start Sunday

rozell1950

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Cheers

Mallins
Hi Mallins. I've started today. Have come off gliclazide as I was having hypos if I tried to ditch carbs. Must re read the book. Eating out is a problem. Had steak and salad today! Good luck on your journey

FloraDora

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Greek yoghurt with berries
No carb ploughmans
Chicken breast on a bed of crushed cannellini beans, green veg

I have ordered the book (delivery on Monday) can someone give me a typical days diet please so I know what to expect
o

FloraDora

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh the energy is wonderful! Away in our camper van at the moment. Instead of struggling to walk anywhere and staying in watching the world go by, I am out there enjoying life. Making plans for tomorrow and the next day - something that has not happened for quite a while.

Incidentally, was quite easy to plan what to eat while away. Spag bol with courgette noodles for day one, chicken breast with mashed cannellini beans day two, chorizo with toms and chickpeas the next day. Fruit & yoghurt, or eggs and bacon for breakfasts, salads for lunch.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Greek yoghurt with berries
No carb ploughmans
Chicken breast on a bed of crushed cannellini beans, green veg

o
Greek yogurt and berries , my favourite

peter_brom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes

Cheers

Mallins
hi have been on it for 2 weeks lost 7lb in the first week on the bread state just don't have any in the house I am finding that I feel quit full if I need to snack I eat apples or pears nuts and eggs with a bit of mayo with it being full fat it seems to cut the hunger pains if there is something that you crave don't have it in the house so you can't have it I found that if I was hungry I ate what was over from dinner ie: turkey burger I also make them with pork so onwards and upwards

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Cheers

Mallins

Good Luck! I have read the book and am starting it on Wednesday after a weekend away.
Mt last reading was 7.1 up from 6.2 but I had managed to out on 1/2 stone due to an injury to my ankle which took 5 months to sort out (reversed over by a SUV!) which stopped my excersise regime. Also triglycerides went up to 3.00 which I suspect is the problem. However back down from 79.6 kilos to 75.8 this morning, an aiming for 73, or even 70 if all goes well. Am diet controlled still and want to keep it that way if possible, having lost my Dad at 55 due to Diabetes. Playing with it at present. Tried Cauliflour rice last night with roasted cumin! It was ok.
Keeping off the red wine is challenging but this diet does allow some when not loosing weigh. Will report how I get on in a week or two!

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I've lost 2lb in a week Not huge number but in the right direction I'm 5"7 and 11 st 6 . It's my waist measurement that's a problem, in the red zone of the diabetes tape measure 195cm. All my extra wait is around my belly.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
That's fab captainlynne . Any tips / hurdles you think we should know ?
Did you stick to the recipes or calorie count ?

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi Folks
Just started week 8 and have lost 30lbs and blood sugar readings are well down. Now planning for the next six weeks. Its been very good for me

Reactions: 7 people

Spark

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Well done everyone! Fantastic progress. I've just ordered a copy of the book, from reading the blurb, seems there are 3 options on this plan, 800 calories, low carb and low carb intermittent fasting. Which option are people doing? Can't imagine I would cope with the 800 calorie thing! I think I'd end up chewing the table

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Well done everyone! Fantastic progress. I've just ordered a copy of the book, from reading the blurb, seems there are 3 options on this plan, 800 calories, low carb and low carb intermittent fasting. Which option are people doing? Can't imagine I would cope with the 800 calorie thing! I think I'd end up chewing the table

To be honest I have found it ok.
I haven't eaten the table yet . Im doing the real food thing .
I'm eating real food most of the time ie not processed . Food that looks like food eg salad and green veg , berries , Greek yoghurt , chicken and trying hard to eat more fish ( not a great lover of fish but trying ). Friday dinner in my house is always something like chicken wings , nachos etc ( hubby likes to listen to Simon Mayo and experiment with different foods). This week we had chilli , rice etc , that was a dangerous night and I had to work hard not to nibble .