Weekly weigh in - Fridays

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
Scales this morning read 12st 1lb. My lowest in more than two decades, I had set my goal at 12st 6lb but to be honest there is a probably a pound or two around the middle as I can still pinch an inch, although physically my muscle tone in the arms, shoulders and back has started to look a more defined, so all is going good, I can see it taking another month or two to shift the last few pounds.

Reactions: 2 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Scales this morning read 12st 1lb. My lowest in more than two decades, I had set my goal at 12st 6lb but to be honest there is a probably a pound or two around the middle as I can still pinch an inch, although physically my muscle tone in the arms, shoulders and back has started to look a more defined, so all is going good, I can see it taking another month or two to shift the last few pounds.
Sensational Effort. What are you using as means of setting your final goal? BMI?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Forgive me for jumping into respond to you without going right back through all your comments on weight loss, but where you state, ".... there is a probably a pound or two around the middle as I can still pinch an inch....", I would urge you to take it steady if you are actually at your target weight.

When I decided I had lost enough weight to be very slim, I found it took some time to get my balance right, and I continued to lose weight (who would have thought it?!), whilst achieving the balance. You could find the same, perhaps.

I would also suggest that as adults, there is a point in our maturity, and again forgive me as I have no idea how old you are, where the elasticity in our skin starts to go a bit, and the shrinking of our skin sometimes lags behind the weight loss. If you have any excess skin at all, that can, to a non-professional eye, look a bit like excess weight, so take it steady making those judgements.

Well done on getting nicely trimmed up though.

Chris Thailand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been fat and I've been thin. I was a fat child and thin in my twenties then fat through my thirties and forties. Now, in my fifties and diagnosed T2, I've lost 20 kilos and am down to 70 kilos but, to be honest, I look like I gave birth to quintuplets last week I have so much hanging flesh! I can also circle my thighs with my hands which worries me. Now, here's the thing, I know that I'm wearing a 30 inch trouser instead of a 40 but, to me, I look the same in the mirror as I did before. I just don't see the difference.
Bummer, eh?

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been fat and I've been thin. I was a fat child and thin in my twenties then fat through my thirties and forties. Now, in my fifties and diagnosed T2, I've lost 20 kilos and am down to 70 kilos but, to be honest, I look like I gave birth to quintuplets last week I have so much hanging flesh! I can also circle my thighs with my hands which worries me. Now, here's the thing, I know that I'm wearing a 30 inch trouser instead of a 40 but, to me, I look the same in the mirror as I did before. I just don't see the difference.
Bummer, eh?
I read somewhere that the hanging flesh can actually still be fat to lose. Only you know the difference. Its also one of the reasons why I choose to lose only 1-2lb per week. I know it will take ages for me to get to a normal weight but Id rather do slow and steady. As to looking different, do you feel different? If not maybe you need to look harder at the old you, do you feel more energised, are you walking further, do you feel happier? What was the reason behind you losing weight, have you achieved that? Sometimes we can be hard on ourselves because we see the changes every day. The fact that you can now circle your thighs with your hands means you know you have lost the weight and can see that difference. You see you are wearing 30inch trousers and not 40 inch. You do see the differences you just are not processing the facts or maybe feeling what a brilliant achievement you have done.

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
Sensational Effort. What are you using as means of setting your final goal? BMI?
Thanks muzza3
My final goal currently is to be as fit and ready for surgery, which should have been early this month, unfortunately it didn't happen, However its now been filed by the surgeon so anytime within 17 weeks as the surgeon previously filled out a request form but didn't submit it, also after speaking with the surgeon about the recovery, he thinks will be about 6 weeks, so I'll be inactive for a time, so a few more loses now is going to help cover me during that period, as when I do have surgery even walking will be out of the question.

Long term is to stay active and get back to business which why, my ideal weight would be 12st 6lb which is good for my spine and hips as both have permanent damage from arthritis so carrying less weight is beneficial.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
Forgive me for jumping into respond to you without going right back through all your comments on weight loss, but where you state, ".... there is a probably a pound or two around the middle as I can still pinch an inch....", I would urge you to take it steady if you are actually at your target weight.

When I decided I had lost enough weight to be very slim, I found it took some time to get my balance right, and I continued to lose weight (who would have thought it?!), whilst achieving the balance. You could find the same, perhaps.

I would also suggest that as adults, there is a point in our maturity, and again forgive me as I have no idea how old you are, where the elasticity in our skin starts to go a bit, and the shrinking of our skin sometimes lags behind the weight loss. If you have any excess skin at all, that can, to a non-professional eye, look a bit like excess weight, so take it steady making those judgements.

Well done on getting nicely trimmed up though.

Thanks AndBreathe,
I agree and understand where your coming from,

I've not long turned 48, I'm very lucky that my skin has really good elasticity, I've never had a six pack so not expecting any miracles my last 2lb or 3lbs loss is from pretty much normal eating, in terms of 4 or 5 good healthy meals a day, I've added in more carbs and have been testing BG to see which are ok and which are now destined to be ditched to the bin.
I might add that I eat to my meter to avoid liver dumps, but I also eat when I'm hungry so it's not a ridged approach by any means, I just eat sensible foods and in moderate portions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks AndBreathe,
I agree and understand where your coming from,

I've not long turned 48, I'm very lucky that my skin has really good elasticity, I've never had a six pack so not expecting any miracles my last 2lb or 3lbs loss is from pretty much normal eating, in terms of 4 or 5 good healthy meals a day, I've added in more carbs and have been testing BG to see which are ok and which are now destined to be ditched to the bin.
I might add that I eat to my meter to avoid liver dumps, but I also eat when I'm hungry so it's not a ridged approach by any means, I just eat sensible foods and in moderate portions.

I'm a little curious about your approach to liver dumps. Personally, I don't eat to try to avoid them, necessarily. I eat my meals and if I have a liver dump, I have one. If I don't I don't. Again, personally, I view a liver dump as my body looking after me, if I'm getting low in the tank, but I also see it as quite healthy. I view the underlying action of the liver dump to by cycling the liver's stores of stored energy, so pretty much exercising it.

I can sometimes feel a liver dump happening, although I don't find it such an unpleasant feeling. Others have shred that they find it disconcerting.

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
I'm a little curious about your approach to liver dumps. Personally, I don't eat to try to avoid them, necessarily. I eat my meals and if I have a liver dump, I have one. If I don't I don't. Again, personally, I view a liver dump as my body looking after me, if I'm getting low in the tank, but I also see it as quite healthy. I view the underlying action of the liver dump to by cycling the liver's stores of stored energy, so pretty much exercising it.

I can sometimes feel a liver dump happening, although I don't find it such an unpleasant feeling. Others have shred that they find it disconcerting.
It's pretty simple for me, I walk and go to the gym at odd hours, at least 5 days of the week I'd normally up by 3am have breakfast then walk 35mins to the gym do a full hour sometimes 2hrs, so I don't like having a liver dump as I'm not taking any medication, therefore if my liver dumps I will still need to eat to aid recovery and provide protein from a workout, what I don't want is a high starting BG and it continuing to rack up my BG levels during the day. I'm certainly not worried about liver dumps as when they happen it normally for good reason, but at the moment I value the nutrients from a meal, more than my liver store of energy, before and after exercise.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well Good Morning All

Sunday is my weigh in day
86kg today or 189.5lb which is a loss of .6lb
I could whinge or complain but that would be foolish as it is my 12th successive week of weigh-loss
Target is 172.4lb so 17lb to go I will look for a good week this week
FBG are very good with a low of 3.9 and a high of 4.7 this week

Cheers

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's pretty simple for me, I walk and go to the gym at odd hours, at least 5 days of the week I'd normally up by 3am have breakfast then walk 35mins to the gym do a full hour sometimes 2hrs, so I don't like having a liver dump as I'm not taking any medication, therefore if my liver dumps I will still need to eat to aid recovery and provide protein from a workout, what I don't want is a high starting BG and it continuing to rack up my BG levels during the day. I'm certainly not worried about liver dumps as when they happen it normally for good reason, but at the moment I value the nutrients from a meal, more than my liver store of energy, before and after exercise.

I don't need to recover from a liver dump. It does me no harm. I eat when I am next due to eat and get on with my day.

Your starting "high BG" is likely to be following a lower starting point, so my personal conclusion is it averages out, over a very short time.

I value all my nutrients, but to try to clarify, I look upon my liver dump in a similar way to how I look on eating food from my weekly shop. I always have food in the house, but from time to time, it makes sense to check through the fridge and pantry to ensure nothing is getting a bit stale. Quite possibly my liver glucose can't "get stale", but I see it as just being cycled through, just as I would use the milk I bought the other day before I ate what I picked up in the supermarket today.

I'm not trying to persuade you, or anyone else, to induce liver dumps, and for the avoidance of doubt, I don't try to induce them in myself, but my Libre usage informs me they're not an alien occurrence in my life, and save for a slightly odd feeling at the base of my throat sometimes, they have no impact on how I feel and certainly don't lead to any energy dips.

Perhaps I'm just an odd phenopmennnononononononon,

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
Well Good Morning All

Sunday is my weigh in day
86kg today or 189.5lb which is a loss of .6lb
I could whinge or complain but that would be foolish as it is my 12th successive week of weigh-loss
Target is 172.4lb so 17lb to go I will look for a good week this week
FBG are very good with a low of 3.9 and a high of 4.7 this week

Cheers

That's impressive muzza3:p and very positive :)

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
I don't need to recover from a liver dump. It does me no harm. I eat when I am next due to eat and get on with my day.

Your starting "high BG" is likely to be following a lower starting point, so my personal conclusion is it averages out, over a very short time.

I value all my nutrients, but to try to clarify, I look upon my liver dump in a similar way to how I look on eating food from my weekly shop. I always have food in the house, but from time to time, it makes sense to check through the fridge and pantry to ensure nothing is getting a bit stale. Quite possibly my liver glucose can't "get stale", but I see it as just being cycled through, just as I would use the milk I bought the other day before I ate what I picked up in the supermarket today.

I'm not trying to persuade you, or anyone else, to induce liver dumps, and for the avoidance of doubt, I don't try to induce them in myself, but my Libre usage informs me they're not an alien occurrence in my life, and save for a slightly odd feeling at the base of my throat sometimes, they have no impact on how I feel and certainly don't lead to any energy dips.

Perhaps I'm just an odd phenopmennnononononononon,
Nothing too odd, everyone's different and finding what works for them is the key, in my spare time, I'm averaging 80miles walking, plus in the gym, weights and a tennis match every week at the moment, if I then add in everyday stuff like, work and daily chores my days are long, since I started testosterone I tend to only sleep for about 4hrs a day, so that leaves 20hrs so I prefer not to want my BG to run down to a level my liver needs to step in, I want steady BG numbers not peaks and troughs.
I personally don't see a problem with the odd LD as it there when needed, I just don't want or see multiple highs and lows being my norm.

summer dreamer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Finally started losing again now down 8 1/2lb. I've started eating a little more. Not sure if it's that or the vitamins kicking in, either way I'm relieved. A very long way to go but it feels achievable again now.

Summer x

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Early weigh in this week (went for my HbA1c results)
Ive lost 6lb this week. Must be the 3 I gained last week and 3 more this week.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
L
Finally started losing again
emoji4.png
now down 8 1/2lb. I've started eating a little more. Not sure if it's that or the vitamins kicking in, either way I'm relieved. A very long way to go but it feels achievable again now.

Can I ask how long your stall was and what more did you start eating? I am stalled as well. I have two weeks until vacation. I would only like to lose 3 more pounds but have had a two week stall

Russetfox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Fresh tomatoes :(
Thursday weigh in, lost 1.75lb this week so now 14st 0.5lb. Average blood sugar 4.7 mmol this week. :D

Tried starting couch to 5k program yesterday, was on run 4/8 when dog ran off to greet a stranger and broke momentum, oh well try again tomorrow, have ordered a waist belt lead for him so maybe that'll help, or he can just drag me around the field making me run anyway,lol.:headphone:

summer dreamer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
L

Can I ask how long your stall was and what more did you start eating? I am stalled as well. I have two weeks until vacation. I would only like to lose 3 more pounds but have had a two week stall

Hi Kristin, on average about an extra 200 calories a day, but still low carb. I'm still losing this week not sure if it's the Vitamin D and Calcium and Magnesium supplements kicking in or the calorie increase. Either way I'm happy! I had about 3 weeks of gaining and losing the same pound.

Good luck.

Summer x