Type 1 at 6 months old

Craftyjack123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
:dummy:Hi everyone
Just wondered if there were any parents of diabetic babies out there, our son has just been diagnosed type 1 at only 6 months old and even our lovely nurses only have parents of children over 1 to talk to us about and there's such a big difference in a 6 month old and a 1 year old. He's just got a pump fitted after a few weeks of injecting, but testing is still so upsetting for all if us having to do it every couple if hours and not being able to explain why to him, weaning has gone to pot after our long hospital stay too and now I'm scared and not sure where to start with moving forward, :dummy:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sorry I can't really help as I have no knowledge of what you are going through it must be really tough - hopefully someone who can help will see your post - welcome to the forum perhaps put a post in the T1 section as well maybe someone there can help

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I'm sorry about your son's diagnosis :( I got type 1 aged 3 but can't remember any of it, I can't think of anyone on here with a type 1 'baby' I've only seen toddlers etc but hopefully I am wrong and someone posts soon and can relate.. You do sound like your doing really well though :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to hear that @Craftyjack123 It must have been a huge shock.

I hope the pump is making things easier. I don't know any babies that young with diabetes, but when I was researching having my pump I read about a baby a similar age to your son who had a pump and he was doing well.

I'm going to tag @1Sarah1 as she has a toddler with Type 1 and a pump.

I hope you're getting good support from your son's team. I have a young baby and I can't imagine how,difficult it must be coping with diabetes on top of all the normal care babies need. You sound very calm in the circumstances.

Sending you and your son best wishes.

Craftyjack123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm sorry I can't really help as I have no knowledge of what you are going through it must be really tough - hopefully someone who can help will see your post - welcome to the forum perhaps put a post in the T1 section as well maybe someone there can help
Thankyou xx

Craftyjack123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Craftyjack123 Has it been confirmed your son has type 1?

Has he been tested for antibodies? Gene test?

http://www.diabetesgenes.org/content/genetic-testing-neonatal-diabetes

It has been confirmed by the consultant, after the severe DKA which hospitalised him, we were told he is on the boarder for neonatal but Exeter are actually coming up to our first clinic as they've requested his blood for their studies, we of course agreed as any research is important to helping others as well as for our case.

Reactions: 6 people

Craftyjack123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Tha
Sorry to hear that @Craftyjack123 It must have been a huge shock.

I hope the pump is making things easier. I don't know any babies that young with diabetes, but when I was researching having my pump I read about a baby a similar age to your son who had a pump and he was doing well.

I'm going to tag @1Sarah1 as she has a toddler with Type 1 and a pump.

I hope you're getting good support from your son's team. I have a young baby and I can't imagine how,difficult it must be coping with diabetes on top of all the normal care babies need. You sound very calm in the circumstances.

Sending you and your son best wishes.
thank you xxx

Craftyjack123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I'm sorry about your son's diagnosis :( I got type 1 aged 3 but can't remember any of it, I can't think of anyone on here with a type 1 'baby' I've only seen toddlers etc but hopefully I am wrong and someone posts soon and can relate.. You do sound like your doing really well though :)
Thank you xxx

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey,

Wasn't sure how to word my starting sentance to you because diabetes has made me the person who I am today. Strong, open minded and can adjust easily, after all you have too.

I've been diabetic from I was 2.5 years old. I'm now 21. I've struggled with it at times but I got a insulin pump 4 years ago.

From that I've had my wonderful boy, Ethan who's two next month and on Halloween night aged 16 months. He was close to DKA as I took him to hospital with high sugars a month before and they told me I was being an over protective mother and to stop worrying the chances he would get it off me were 2-5%. And long behold my baby was cursed with this chronic illness. He's adjusted so so well gives you his hand to do sugars, tries to tell me when he's low and acts up when he's high.

On December 9th he was given the same insulin pump as me accu chek spirit combo. I worried he would pull it, hate getting canulas in etc. But nope my little solider doesn't blink an eyelid. He gets on with normal toddler life. He doesn't let it affect him.

I'm sure your struggling but it gets easier, well as easy as it can. ( there's always a struggle). But I've never known Any different and now your baby has the pump he doesn't have to be because you just count his carbs. Weigh everything. Carbs and kal book are my bible lol.

Not sure if I've helped but thought I'd share our story.

You should get a pump bag made. We got PawPatrol

Best wishes xx

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 523
Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi @Craftyjack123 , I am so sorry to hear of your little babies diagnosis, your head must be all over the place, so an anxious and a scary time, I'm sure.
I hope you get all the help with much needed support at this difficult time, but, in time, things will get easier and more manageable.
Sending best wishes to you and your little one, take care.

Cathn61may

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people who think they know it all
It has been confirmed by the consultant, after the severe DKA which hospitalised him, we were told he is on the boarder for neonatal but Exeter are actually coming up to our first clinic as they've requested his blood for their studies, we of course agreed as any research is important to helping others as well as for our case.
I can't imagine what you are going through with your little baby. I was diagnosed when I was 6 that was hard enough. I have had Type 1 for 49 years. My thoughts are with you.

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
:dummy:Hi everyone
Just wondered if there were any parents of diabetic babies out there, our son has just been diagnosed type 1 at only 6 months old and even our lovely nurses only have parents of children over 1 to talk to us about and there's such a big difference in a 6 month old and a 1 year old. He's just got a pump fitted after a few weeks of injecting, but testing is still so upsetting for all if us having to do it every couple if hours and not being able to explain why to him, weaning has gone to pot after our long hospital stay too and now I'm scared and not sure where to start with moving forward, :dummy:
Hi @Craftyjack123 ive been type1 since I was 2 any my 2yr old is currently on a pump. I have baby twins (6m) so understand how hard it must be. My daughter wouldn't wean so understand how hard it must be with insulin etc. Are you carb counting? Assume milk? Have you been told to administer glucogel by syringe? Life feels very unfair sometimes. I hate having to test my daughter. Have you got funding for cgm as that's another option? I haven't put my daughter on it yet as feel like she has enough. We have just come out of hospital after a few days stay due to her having a seizure so apols for the delay. Things will get easier in time. I keep telling that to myself too.

Craftyjack123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Craftyjack123 ive been type1 since I was 2 any my 2yr old is currently on a pump. I have baby twins (6m) so understand how hard it must be. My daughter wouldn't wean so understand how hard it must be with insulin etc. Are you carb counting? Assume milk? Have you been told to administer glucogel by syringe? Life feels very unfair sometimes. I hate having to test my daughter. Have you got funding for cgm as that's another option? I haven't put my daughter on it yet as feel like she has enough. We have just come out of hospital after a few days stay due to her having a seizure so apols for the delay. Things will get easier in time. I keep telling that to myself too.

Bless you sounds like you're going through it too! Were carb counting just milk ATM as jacks only having finger bits and most ends up on the floor. We are looking at getting a continuous monitor now as were struggling to balance his BG And they seen to have to pattern at all were hoping this helps but obviously it will be ongoing and will still need to manually test regularly too. I did my first canula change with my partner rather than nurse this weekend which was scary but also helped me I think. We have tubes of glucogel been told to rub it into his cheek as it's quicker than swallowing but he's running high rather than low as they're adjusting insulin so slowly with him being so small, usually late teens early twenties. I hope your little girl is ok after hospitL and that things will settle bk for your family soon. Thankyou for your kind words xxx

Craftyjack123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Craftyjack123 , I am so sorry to hear of your little babies diagnosis, your head must be all over the place, so an anxious and a scary time, I'm sure.
I hope you get all the help with much needed support at this difficult time, but, in time, things will get easier and more manageable.
Sending best wishes to you and your little one, take care.
Thankyou xxx

Craftyjack123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey,

Wasn't sure how to word my starting sentance to you because diabetes has made me the person who I am today. Strong, open minded and can adjust easily, after all you have too.

I've been diabetic from I was 2.5 years old. I'm now 21. I've struggled with it at times but I got a insulin pump 4 years ago.

From that I've had my wonderful boy, Ethan who's two next month and on Halloween night aged 16 months. He was close to DKA as I took him to hospital with high sugars a month before and they told me I was being an over protective mother and to stop worrying the chances he would get it off me were 2-5%. And long behold my baby was cursed with this chronic illness. He's adjusted so so well gives you his hand to do sugars, tries to tell me when he's low and acts up when he's high.

On December 9th he was given the same insulin pump as me accu chek spirit combo. I worried he would pull it, hate getting canulas in etc. But nope my little solider doesn't blink an eyelid. He gets on with normal toddler life. He doesn't let it affect him.

I'm sure your struggling but it gets easier, well as easy as it can. ( there's always a struggle). But I've never known Any different and now your baby has the pump he doesn't have to be because you just count his carbs. Weigh everything. Carbs and kal book are my bible lol.

Not sure if I've helped but thought I'd share our story.

You should get a pump bag made. We got PawPatrol

Best wishes xx
Thankyou for your reply , it does all help and makes me feel I'm not the only one as it does sometimes, I've ordered a minion pump pouch for him too xxx sending love xxx

Ejayhk

Hi @Craftyjack123

Our daughter has just been diagnosed with type 1 at the age of 8 months. We are currently working out her insulin regime and so forth. We are doing injections, using a CGM and are hearing conflicting views on the use of an insulin pump at such a young age. I gather from your post that you are using one, and I was wondering how you are getting on with it. We would appreciate any information. Not easy to find people with experience of type-1 at such a young age.

Best wishes

Ejayhk