HELP INSULIN PROBLEMS

cuxy88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I was wondering if I could have a bit of advice I have been insulin dependant diabetic for 23 yrs now and my currant hba1c is around 120 no matter how hard I try it is not going down I was on the pump but the took it off me after 3 yrs coz it was not helping now in am back on injections (nova rapid and troujeo I think that is the spelling) for 4 months now and still no luck in levels going down the sugars are running quite hi too no matter wat I do i was wondering if there is any other insulin that would work better for me like a set does insulin if that is possible tried to look on line but it all is very jumbled and confusing so I thought I would ask some one who would no been in contact with my diabetes team and they are getting worried about my health and confused about what is going on but not sure what to do with my insulin any help would be good or even any one on here in the community thanks.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, can you give us an idea of what a few days bg readings look like?
What a typical days food might be?
do you carb count?

Do you have any other health problems? Suffer from stress?

When you went from the pump back to injections have your bg readings stayed almost the same or was there a slight increase/decrease?

Sorry for all the questions but they are important to try help you out :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @cuxy88

Have you always struggled with control?
Do you count carbs?
How much insulin are you currently taking?

Yes, we're all asking questions, I'm afraid : D But if you can give us some more information, it'll help with suggestions.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's great that you're trying and looking for answers, don't give up.
I'm sure with some more info the experts on here (the people that live with T1) will be able to get you going in the right direction

cuxy88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @cuxy88

Have you always struggled with control?
Do you count carbs?
How much insulin are you currently taking?

Yes, we're all asking questions, I'm afraid : D But if you can give us some more information, it'll help with suggestions.
No only since I was 20 I am 28 now I carb count and 35 long lasting and 2 units per 10g

Sent from my SM-T555 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could you be insulin resistant? Has your consultant given any reason why you're high so much?

Do you correct your highs and do the correction doses work for you?

If you're able to post an average day's blood sugar results here, with food if possible, then hopefully you'll get some suggestions about things to try, depending on when your highs are.

cuxy88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No only since I was 20 I am 28 now I carb count and 35 long lasting and 2 units per 10g

I also have other medical problems I suffer from hyper joint mobility syndrome and partly deaf and recently found out I have liver complications so maybe some stress and sugars over a few days are running between 15 and 26 mmol too many to list testing every two hrs over 24 hrs I eat a normal diet and i weigh about 12 stone

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you done some basal testing to try to identify where the problem might be? I'm guessing you probably have.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with other health issues too. I know very little about the liver, but could that be affecting your sugars in any way? Or even the stress of it?

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I have been type 1 for 50yrs. But I am no expert, my last hba level was 50. I am on Toujeo and Humalog. I have done the DAFNE course and recommend it. It might be good to do a basal check to see if it is the basal dose or bolus causing the most problems.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Those insulin doses are a bit on the high side of 'average' which implies you may have some insulin resistance and have a bit of stored fat. Can you clarify what you mean by a normal diet as diabetics can't tolerate a 'normal' western diet and need to keep the carbs down.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What a typical days food might be?

Hi. Yes, do let us know about your diet and weight.

Can you clarify what you mean by a normal diet as diabetics can't tolerate a 'normal' western diet and need to keep the carbs down.

If you let us know what kind of foods you are eating there may be something very obvious that we can point out which may help.

It could be connected with one of your other health problems, have you discussed this with your doctor/DSN?

cuxy88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Bread, pasta, meat, vegetables, potato, no spices can not tolerate it, chocolate and sweets but not a lot cut down a lot, salads, sauces can not list all the meals, I cook a lot of various meals but all have these in at some point.

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you don't mind me asking, what other medications, if any, are you on?

Some can cause insulin resistance.

Also, are you correcting your highs to get down to acceptable levels? I find that if my BG is above 12 mmol/L it takes more insulin than I'd expect. For example, usually 1 IU of Novorapid brings my BG down by ~2.4 mmol/L but I would need 1.5-2 IU to reduce by ~2.4 mmol if it was quite high.

Basal testing would be a good idea if you haven't already done this as it's important to get a good basic foundation to build on with appropriate bolusing. Here's some info on Basal testing if you need it http://integrateddiabetes.com/basal-testing/

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Bread, pasta, meat, vegetables, potato, no spices can not tolerate it, chocolate and sweets but not a lot cut down a lot, salads, sauces can not list all the meals, I cook a lot of various meals but all have these in at some point.

That sounds carb heavy. So you carb count?

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Correcting 2 unit of insulin per 0.5 mmol I want to come down by getting down the going back up and i have a steady carb balance in my meals

That seems a very high correction ratio, most would be something like those quoted by @1abRat I believe. That would suggest you aren't absorbing the insulin properly I think. Where are you injecting? If you're not rotating your injection sites you could be injecting into damaged areas which stop the insulin being absorbed.

Also have you been taught to carb-count? It's not really about a balanced diet but the actual amounts of carbs being eaten.If you haven't done it already I'd ask your hospital about the DAFNE course.