Sneaky injections through clothing?

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
A friend of my father used to inject insuline through his trousers in his thigh, for example at the restaurant, and no one ever noticed it. Someone here ever practiced something like that? Of course the sterility of the needle gets lost...

OHD_Foxy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Stress, Diabetes
I've been told you can do it through thin clothing such as tights, leggings etc but I don't think you should do it through things like jeans, jumpers. Not very educated on the subject but I don't think it would be a good idea because the needle could get bent or blunt (or both) before it has even pierced the skin which could make the injection more painful for you. :(

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
I was told sternly not to inject over clothing and not to pinch and inject.

The needles I use are 4mm, and what ive been told is that because they are so small, it needs to be direct contact to skin.

As for the not pinching, I find that pinching and injecting hurts way less, but was told that if I pinch, I may inject down into muscle, and not the top layer of fat, and in that instance, the insulin wouldn't work.

Which begs the question, what if I had a low body fat % and was all muscle (ha!). Would I not be able to inject into my abs?

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I spent 25 years injecting through clothes. The main concern is blunting the needle, as long as it's only from time to time it never caused issues. What I would say is that bleeders make a mess of your clothes if injecting through...

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Agree with @tim2000s I only injected through clothes if I had no other choice as I'm prone to a bleed and the mess isn't worth it !

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I prefer to inject in my stomach for a bolus & I prefer to wear dresses, so I quite often inject through my dress for lunch. I do make sure it's only a thin layer of material & to use a new needle every time. It's not ideal & it's not recommended, but I've not had any problems with sites.

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My cousins used to inject through their clothes (jeans, etc) all the time & never had a problem.

My sister and I have never done it due to the same reasons as above posters but you could always try once and see how you get on.

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I used to inject through thin clothes before I had my pump, but it can bleed and stain your clothes and also the needle holes can turn into bigger holes and rips unless you're very careful.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I used to inject through clothes whenever out in the wide world -- always used a new needle though.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Of course the sterility of the needle gets lost...

Yes it does, plus the modern day pen needle has an ultra-fine tip which is easily damaged when injecting through clothing, if your just starting out with diabetes it's not a good habit to get into IMHO.

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Of course it's not a good habit to practice daily, but in some occasions could be useful... :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Of course it's not a good habit to practice daily, but in some occasions could be useful... :)

If needs must, but it's not a good habit to get into from the onset.

I have done it before, but that was 30+years ago when the needles were like nails and unlike the modern Ultra-Fine needles we thankfully have now :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
A friend of my father used to inject insuline through his trousers in his thigh, for example at the restaurant, and no one ever noticed it. Someone here ever practiced something like that? Of course the sterility of the needle gets lost...

If needs must and only through a thin layer of clothing. Sometimes I had to do this years ago, when working on Reception at a car dealership, I just had to do it sometimes, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to when newly diagnosed but not at all any more after my DSN showed me a picture of a used needle under a microscope all bent and covered in fibers etc...not pretty. But...if needs must...then so be it...just don't make a habit of it

LucyM88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sometimes I inject through leggings or tights if I'm at a restaurant or something and at the table I don't want to start stripping off! I could go to the bathroom of course, but sometimes you don't think and it's more convenient to do it there and then. I would never inject through jeans or jumpers though.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Cathn61may

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people who think they know it all
It all depends what I am wearing normally inject in my tummy. So I can roll down waistband. Or if a dress or skirt just pull it up under table and inject and flash a bit of leg i That is why a pen is great.

Nelmo14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think you should only inject through tights and very thin materials so the needles don't blunt and hurt you.