1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Sneaky injections through clothing?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by P17BULL, May 17, 2016.

1. P17BULL

P17BULL Other · Well-Known Member

A friend of my father used to inject insuline through his trousers in his thigh, for example at the restaurant, and no one ever noticed it. Someone here ever practiced something like that? Of course the sterility of the needle gets lost...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. OHD_Foxy

OHD_Foxy Type 1 · Member

I've been told you can do it through thin clothing such as tights, leggings etc but I don't think you should do it through things like jeans, jumpers. Not very educated on the subject but I don't think it would be a good idea because the needle could get bent or blunt (or both) before it has even pierced the skin which could make the injection more painful for you. :(

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. tpaz

tpaz Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was told sternly not to inject over clothing and not to pinch and inject.

The needles I use are 4mm, and what ive been told is that because they are so small, it needs to be direct contact to skin.

As for the not pinching, I find that pinching and injecting hurts way less, but was told that if I pinch, I may inject down into muscle, and not the top layer of fat, and in that instance, the insulin wouldn't work.

Which begs the question, what if I had a low body fat % and was all muscle (ha!). Would I not be able to inject into my abs?

• Like Like x 2
  4. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I spent 25 years injecting through clothes. The main concern is blunting the needle, as long as it's only from time to time it never caused issues. What I would say is that bleeders make a mess of your clothes if injecting through...

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Agree with @tim2000s I only injected through clothes if I had no other choice as I'm prone to a bleed and the mess isn't worth it !

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I prefer to inject in my stomach for a bolus & I prefer to wear dresses, so I quite often inject through my dress for lunch. I do make sure it's only a thin layer of material & to use a new needle every time. It's not ideal & it's not recommended, but I've not had any problems with sites.

7. MH2010

MH2010 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My cousins used to inject through their clothes (jeans, etc) all the time & never had a problem.

My sister and I have never done it due to the same reasons as above posters but you could always try once and see how you get on.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Notorious

Notorious Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I used to inject through thin clothes before I had my pump, but it can bleed and stain your clothes and also the needle holes can turn into bigger holes and rips unless you're very careful.

9. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

I used to inject through clothes whenever out in the wide world -- always used a new needle though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Yes it does, plus the modern day pen needle has an ultra-fine tip which is easily damaged when injecting through clothing, if your just starting out with diabetes it's not a good habit to get into IMHO.

11. P17BULL

Of course it's not a good habit to practice daily, but in some occasions could be useful... :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

If needs must, but it's not a good habit to get into from the onset.

I have done it before, but that was 30+years ago when the needles were like nails and unlike the modern Ultra-Fine needles we thankfully have now :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. candi-girl

candi-girl Type 1 · Well-Known Member

yeah i often inject through my jeans.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

If needs must and only through a thin layer of clothing. Sometimes I had to do this years ago, when working on Reception at a car dealership, I just had to do it sometimes, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #14 Robinredbreast, May 17, 2016 at 12:31 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2016
  15. Natalie1974

Natalie1974 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I used to when newly diagnosed but not at all any more after my DSN showed me a picture of a used needle under a microscope all bent and covered in fibers etc...not pretty. But...if needs must...then so be it...just don't make a habit of it

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. P17BULL

Best is to buy jeans with holes :)

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. LucyM88

LucyM88 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sometimes I inject through leggings or tights if I'm at a restaurant or something and at the table I don't want to start stripping off! I could go to the bathroom of course, but sometimes you don't think and it's more convenient to do it there and then. I would never inject through jeans or jumpers though.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Cathn61may

Cathn61may Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It all depends what I am wearing normally inject in my tummy. So I can roll down waistband. Or if a dress or skirt just pull it up under table and inject and flash a bit of leg i That is why a pen is great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. westwoodsa

westwoodsa Type 1 · Member

Yes do it all the time through allsorts of clothing (not Coats) when out n about for the past 19 year's no problem

• Like Like x 2
  20. Nelmo14

Nelmo14 Type 1 · Newbie

I think you should only inject through tights and very thin materials so the needles don't blunt and hurt you.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook