Sally49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rap music and tomato ketchup
Hi all,

I'm craving Diet Coke today. I'm on my 3rd can and it's still only 1.30pm.
What's going on? the cravings are mad. My blood sugar was 11.9 at 11.00am, after 33 units of Novorapid (I'm so bad at controlling this Type 2 I've been on insulin for 4 years now).

All thoughts welcome...

Sally

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
You've taken 33 units of novorapid for what - just as a correction dose? ...what carbs/sugar have you eaten today, and what was your BG when you started? Obviously don't know what your I:C ration is, but at, lets say 1:8, that's enough for nearly 265g carbs!? You may want to start considering changing your injection site and/or your insulin ... but be careful of stacking it as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You've taken 33 units of novorapid for what?! just as a correction dose? ...what carbs/sugar have you eaten today, and what was your BG when you started? Obviously don't know what your I:C ration is, but at, lets say 1:8, that's enough for nearly 265g carbs!? You may want to start considering changing your injection site and/or your insulin ... but be careful of stacking it as well.

She has type 2. Why would you assume her carb ratio is that high (numerically)?

Although unusual, someone with severe insulin resistance there is the potential to have an insulin:carb ratio of 1+ units per 1g of carbs.

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
She has type 2. Why would you assume her carb ratio is that high (numerically)?

Although unusual, someone with severe insulin resistance there is the potential to have an insulin:carb ratio of 1+ units per 1g of carbs.
I made the assumption, because I had insufficient information to speak factually, and hence the statement "Obviously don't know what your I:C ratio is". With a question like the one posed, if it was I who had posted, the best I would hope for is a few pointers, and in lieu of sufficient information, I think that's what I provided.
I will leave you to help to resolve Sallys question.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

I'm craving Diet Coke today. I'm on my 3rd can and it's still only 1.30pm.
What's going on? the cravings are mad. My blood sugar was 11.9 at 11.00am, after 33 units of Novorapid (I'm so bad at controlling this Type 2 I've been on insulin for 4 years now).

All thoughts welcome...

Sally

I think you've posted about struggling with highs before @Sally49 ? Do you count carbs?

It may be worth speaking to your DSN to see if your insulin doses need adjusting.

The Diet Coke could be a thirst craving because of high sugars. Did your blood sugar come down ok?