1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diet Coke - crazy for it

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Sally49, May 24, 2016.

1. Sally49

Sally49 Type 2 · Member

Hi all,

I'm craving Diet Coke today. I'm on my 3rd can and it's still only 1.30pm.
    What's going on? the cravings are mad. My blood sugar was 11.9 at 11.00am, after 33 units of Novorapid (I'm so bad at controlling this Type 2 I've been on insulin for 4 years now).

All thoughts welcome...

Sally

2. paulliljeros

paulliljeros Other · Well-Known Member

You've taken 33 units of novorapid for what - just as a correction dose? ...what carbs/sugar have you eaten today, and what was your BG when you started? Obviously don't know what your I:C ration is, but at, lets say 1:8, that's enough for nearly 265g carbs!? You may want to start considering changing your injection site and/or your insulin ... but be careful of stacking it as well.

#2 paulliljeros, May 24, 2016 at 2:16 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2016
  3. TorqPenderloin

TorqPenderloin Type 1 · Well-Known Member

She has type 2. Why would you assume her carb ratio is that high (numerically)?

Although unusual, someone with severe insulin resistance there is the potential to have an insulin:carb ratio of 1+ units per 1g of carbs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. paulliljeros

paulliljeros Other · Well-Known Member

I made the assumption, because I had insufficient information to speak factually, and hence the statement "Obviously don't know what your I:C ratio is". With a question like the one posed, if it was I who had posted, the best I would hope for is a few pointers, and in lieu of sufficient information, I think that's what I provided.
    I will leave you to help to resolve Sallys question.

5. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

I think you've posted about struggling with highs before @Sally49 ? Do you count carbs?

It may be worth speaking to your DSN to see if your insulin doses need adjusting.

The Diet Coke could be a thirst craving because of high sugars. Did your blood sugar come down ok?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook