mikthetype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey there ! This is a pretty embarassing topic for me to discuss with my doctor and feel that type 1s can relate better. I have been recently diagnosed and I am afraid to have any sexual contact with my boyfriend because of hypos. How to you usually handle the situation? How much and what food do you eat before to avoid having ill timed hypos. Would really appreciate some feedback :)

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How recently diagnosed are you? Have you had m/any hypos? Are you aware when you are dropping - do you have good hypo symptoms?

Even so, yes having spontaneous sex (if you're doing it right) might be a time when hypo symptoms can go unnoticed. But so long as your partner knows your diabetic, knows what to do if you are hypo & you keep some hypo treatment handy there's no reason not to. Any physical activity can drop blood sugar. If you do notice your hypo while you're "busy", then do try to treat it straight away - you know "darling I'm having so much fun I have to have some sugar" could be taken as a compliment! :oops:

Reactions: 2 people

mikthetype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How recently diagnosed are you? Have you had m/any hypos? Are you aware when you are dropping - do you have good hypo symptoms?

Even so, yes having spontaneous sex (if you're doing it right) might be a time when hypo symptoms can go unnoticed. But so long as your partner knows your diabetic, knows what to do if you are hypo & you keep some hypo treatment handy there's no reason not to. Any physical activity can drop blood sugar. If you do notice your hypo while you're "busy", then do try to treat it straight away - you know "darling I'm having so much fun I have to have some sugar" could be taken as a compliment! :oops:

Thanks for responding! About 7 months but it all still feels new to me, I am hesitant about things since I am very sensitive to insulin and exercise brings my blood sugar down rapidly. Another concern is that when I am busy or distracted I don't always feel a hypo right away

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I would suggest having some carbs shortly before sex such as a piece of fruit etc.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I would suggest having some carbs shortly before sex such as a piece of fruit etc.

Depends on ones stamina..? Fruit is ok for a short spike. One might wish something a little longer acting... Giggidy!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glucose tablets are good (or Lucozade) and then something longer acting like a flapjack/biscuit. Quick to eat and quite concentrated carbs.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another concern is that when I am busy or distracted I don't always feel a hypo right away

Hi, I'm not sure if you are male or female..? But believe me (from a guy's point of view.) no matter how big the "distraction" you will notice the first signs of hypoglycemia.. It has the habit of "taking the wind out of one's sails".?! It's one of the earliest warning signs I know.. Unfortunately you can't take this "canary" swimming...
I can't see it being any different for a woman either.
If your partner is confident, secure. & you go low? Let em know, treat & come back brighter..

If your partner takes it "personal"? :rolleyes: Remember to treat the hypo. Then "start the car".. ;)

mikthetype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm not sure if you are male or female..? But believe me (from a guy's point of view.) no matter how big the "distraction" you will notice the first signs of hypoglycemia.. It has the habit of "taking the wind out of one's sails".?! It's one of the earliest warning signs I know.. Unfortunately you can't take this "canary" swimming...
I can't see it being any different for a woman either.
If your partner is confident, secure. & you go low? Let em know, treat & come back brighter..

If your partner takes it "personal"? :rolleyes: Remember to treat the hypo. Then "start the car".. ;)
Haha perfect advice thankyou

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha perfect advice thankyou

No problem.. Lol. I'm still unsure of your gender. (It doesn't matter.) but don't forget the contraception!!
Health & safety. Someone's gotta mention it. (yer probably sorted for the carbs.)

Above all, have fun..!

mikthetype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No problem.. Lol. I'm still unsure of your gender. (It doesn't matter.) but don't forget the contraception!!
Health & safety. Someone's gotta mention it. (yer probably sorted for the carbs.)

Above all, have fun..!
Im female :) thanks !

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Tell him to bring flowers and chocolates. Every. Time.

And 'I'm fainting from excitement' never really goes down badly.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

emmabai1ey11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have hypos after sex, sometimes you don't want to spoil the moment of course, but leaving it is not a good idea. Been there done that. It just doesn't work. I keep my hypo foods by the bed, my partner doesn't mind me shoving jelly babies in my mouth half way through!
take care x

Your illness does not define you. Your strength and courage does.

mikthetype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tell him to bring flowers and chocolates. Every. Time.

And 'I'm fainting from excitement' never really goes down badly.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app
Haha that would be nice ❤❤ thankyou xx

mikthetype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have hypos after sex, sometimes you don't want to spoil the moment of course, but leaving it is not a good idea. Been there done that. It just doesn't work. I keep my hypo foods by the bed, my partner doesn't mind me shoving jelly babies in my mouth half way through!
take care x

Your illness does not define you. Your strength and courage does.
Oh well you have to make the most of it right :)thankyou I like the idea of jellybabies ;)tc xx