What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: scrambled eggs, smoked salmon

This morning realised we couldn't fly our 4 seater plane back so booked on Ryanair home - hence a day just 'hanging' around in rubbish weather.

L: (out of desperation!!) McDonalds 4 nuggets, cheeseburger - no bun, half small portion of fries

1 hour after 9.9, 2 hours after 6.9 - so we won't be doing that again but I guess it was an experiment! Gosh do I feel totally rubbish.

Ran into hypermarket and bought Palma ham and cheese chunks for journey home - not sure Ryanair does LCHF

And tomorrow we will be back on track and much better.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 4 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A cheeseburger without the bun is my go to desperation food at mc d! X

Borderline T2, serial yo-yo dieter but firmly sticking to LCHF with IF

D

debrasue

B: scrambled eggs, smoked salmon

This morning realised we couldn't fly our 4 seater plane back so booked on Ryanair home - hence a day just 'hanging' around in rubbish weather.

L: (out of desperation!!) McDonalds 4 nuggets, cheeseburger - no bun, half small portion of fries

1 hour after 9.9, 2 hours after 6.9 - so we won't be doing that again but I guess it was an experiment! Gosh do I feel totally rubbish.

Ran into hypermarket and bought Palma ham and cheese chunks for journey home - not sure Ryanair does LCHF

And tomorrow we will be back on track and much better.

I don't know if you find the same, Penfold, but if I feel I'm not 100% in control of what I can have to eat and when I can eat it, I get quite stressed, which can lead me to eat something inappropriate, which in turn makes me feel physically and mentally ******. To try and counteract that out-of-control feeling I just have to b-r-e-a-t-h-e and tell myself, "Calm down, it's only food, you're not at risk of imminent death" and then I can get a little calmer and more rational around it.
Don't be too hard on yourself - the MacDonalds wasn't the end of the world (in fact, I sought out a McMuffin as a matter of choice this morning, just because I wanted one) and if it slightly increases your BGs for a day or two, that's not the end of the world either. You'll soon be back on track.
I haven't been diagnosed very long (March 2016) and I threw myself wholeheartedly into LCHF when I discovered this website, but I find it easy to get tunnel vision around food when I have to focus on it so closely as part of my day-to-day regime. Do you ever feel like that?
Of course it's very important to stay on track, but maybe as time goes by we'll be able to get a little less stressed when things occasionally don't turn out quite as planned!
Big hugs x

Reactions: 3 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I sort of agree with you but I HAVE to be tunnel visioned or else I wane from the healthy path....

----------

Reactions: 2 people

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree @debrasue I seem to spend hours prep'ing food - and constantly find myself saying out loud how much carbs are in things! But control is so important to me so it matters. I'm learning to be kinder to myself, but also that preparation is the key - I took LivLife bread to France!!

My rule actually has become "do I need this food", ask yourself that and it makes a difference when I think I deserve a treat LOL

I know I'm doing ok, I was diagnosed just 2 months before you - I'm learning every day. It's sometimes nice to rant to all the lovely folks here as everyone 'gets it' don't they. As you say, over time, I firmly believe I'll be calmer - but I'm naturally a control freak (oops!)

Hope you enjoyed your McMuffin

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PS I've now done McDs and KFC post diagnosis - both made me feel rubbish :) just have to do Pizza Hut now and all my old demons will be exorcised

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
PS I've now done McDs and KFC post diagnosis - both made me feel rubbish :) just have to do Pizza Hut now and all my old demons will be exorcised

I reckon pizza will be the villain in this experiment!

----------

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasted all day til dinner and just had pulled duck wraps and finished off with a lemon mug cake and cream. Stuffed

----------

PosyPip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
B - chocolate flaxseed pudding
L - cheese and then a bit more cheese!
D - avocado (still stuffed from the cheese)

s.sollis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
B: Camomile tea.
L: tuna/mayo on lettuce, tiny slice honey and ginger cake.
D: roast chicken, mashed Swede, brussle sprouts, half a potato made into two roast potatoes, one mini Yorkshire. Was looking forward to this all day, got 3/4 way through and had a bad hypo. Actually thought I was going to faint with this one, 2.2. So didn't finish dinner and had glass of orange juice and couple of sweets.
S: coffee with milk at sisters, was just about to say may have a bit of coyo later until I just looked at the time. I thought it was only early still. Oh well bed time I guess, busy day with medical appointments tomorrow. Night all :hilarious:

D

debrasue

B: Camomile tea.
L: tuna/mayo on lettuce, tiny slice honey and ginger cake.
D: roast chicken, mashed Swede, brussle sprouts, half a potato made into two roast potatoes, one mini Yorkshire. Was looking forward to this all day, got 3/4 way through and had a bad hypo. Actually thought I was going to faint with this one, 2.2. So didn't finish dinner and had glass of orange juice and couple of sweets.
S: coffee with milk at sisters, was just about to say may have a bit of coyo later until I just looked at the time. I thought it was only early still. Oh well bed time I guess, busy day with medical appointments tomorrow. Night all :hilarious:
Good luck tomorrow, Sian. I hope you're soon feeling better. Hugs x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin' All

Yesterday:
Fast day, so nothing til 7pm when I had moussaka and green salad, followed by chia seeds, cream and cocoa powder as a pud

Today:
Fat fast day, so nothing but coffeencream and broth and cream until 7pm when I had bangers and cauli mash. no pud, but just snaffled some black pepper cashesws.

V pleased with bgs throughout.

Feeling great.
Will probably eat 3 square tomorrow, then IF again on Friday.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria moussaka can be LCHF without too many changes?

Very much so.
Just sub the potato for extra aubergine or courgette

There are some LC sauce recipes out there, if you want to have a look, but being the laziest cook in the universe, I just dab blobs of cream cheese on top of the filling, then sprinkle on grated cheese and finish with a scatter of grated fresh parmesan.

It isn't a Traditional M, but it tastes great. :D

Useful tip: Make it up in HUGE amounts, put the ingredient layers together in portion sized freezer proof dishes, and then fill half the freezer. If you ever can't be bothered, they make a great all-in-one (veg and protein together) dish, ready and waiting for you...

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Breakfast - Sardines
Lunch - Chicken breast and raw cabbage
Dinner - Cabbage and chicken mexican style
Supper - Strawberries and almonds BBQ flavor. .Aldi had a Spanish week here recently and I bought loads of the BBQ flavor tinned almonds. Unfortunately they only sell them once per year :-(

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Wed 1/6/16
B Scrambled egg 1 slice of gluten free bread
S 1pkt pork scratchings half a can zero coke
L chunk of cheddar cheese / Alpro coconut yogurt / raspberries
D egg / tuna salad half a lidl roll / strawberries / cream

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
Greek natural yogurt and 4 strawberries diced. Lunch will be cheese salad don't know what will be for tea yet.

D

debrasue

Very much so.
Just sub the potato for extra aubergine or courgette

There are some LC sauce recipes out there, if you want to have a look, but being the laziest cook in the universe, I just dab blobs of cream cheese on top of the filling, then sprinkle on grated cheese and finish with a scatter of grated fresh parmesan.

It isn't a Traditional M, but it tastes great. :D

Useful tip: Make it up in HUGE amounts, put the ingredient layers together in portion sized freezer proof dishes, and then fill half the freezer. If you ever can't be bothered, they make a great all-in-one (veg and protein together) dish, ready and waiting for you...
I think I must be an even lazier cook than you, @Brunneria - I just put ready-grated cheddar and double cream in a jug and nuke it for 2 minutes in the microwave, then whisk it. Makes a totally gorgeous cheese sauce - rich and velvety. :hungry:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:) I do that when I want a cheese sauce, but prefer something different on moussaka... I like the crunchy top with the velvety cream cheese all melty underneath. :wacky: