Air bubble problems ~ Insight pump.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
how long do you have the vial out of the fridge before a change?

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There's no vial for the Insight, its a pre-filled cartridge and the fridge timing should make no difference. I take mine out of the fridge and use straight away, I do not get any bubbles.

The issue Type1Lad has is that he gets so many 1-2cm bubbles that he primes out the cartridge content almost daily.

Reactions: 2 people

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There's no vial for the Insight, its a pre-filled cartridge and the fridge timing should make no difference. I take mine out of the fridge and use straight away, I do not get any bubbles.

The issue Type1Lad has is that he gets so many 1-2cm bubbles that he primes out the cartridge content almost daily.
yeah, I'm hoping rep can sort it just did breakfast insulin and guess what another one popped out =.=

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are always some small bubbles but its fine. they are so small that it doesn't matter much. I would look for reasons for your highs somewhere else

Edit: If they are 1 - 2 cm then there must be something wrong with the pump.

Reactions: 4 people

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are always some small bubbles but its fine. they are so small that it doesn't matter much. I would look for reasons for your highs somewhere else

Edit: If they are 1 - 2 cm then there must be something wrong with the pump.
the small ones don't bother me the 1-2cm ones do =[

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't had bubble trouble (oh, the poetry!) with mine, but I have to say I've never looked. This thread has prompted me to keep an eye out, so thank you @Type1Lad .

I've always got my next cartridge in my bag - I have one little zippy case with my handset and testing gubbins in, and one with my inserter, spare hosepipe and cannula, emergency Flexpen, battery and cartridge. Each time I change the cartridge (6-7 days) I put THAT new cartridge in, and replace it immediately in the zippy with one out of the fridge.

I don't worry about my insulin having been out of the fridge for what amounts to nearly a fortnight at a time (time spent in zippy case plus time spent in pump), and so far I've had no problems with either bubbles or less than perfect insulin.

When I started pumping I too was advised to take the cartridge out of the fridge 12-24 hours beforehand, but the way I do it makes me feel more comfortable in terms of always having the next one on me, in case of any emergencies.

:)

Edited to say - I don't ever suspend insulin delivery. I don't pause or switch off the pump when I remove it to shower or swim. That was something we talked about at my pump start, and we were told that it causes no problems to just leave it running (after all this is not for hours at a time) and reconnect when ready. I therefore don't reprime before reconnecting, and come to think of it nor do I do a cannula fill.

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't had bubble trouble (oh, the poetry!) with mine, but I have to say I've never looked. This thread has prompted me to keep an eye out, so thank you @Type1Lad .

I've always got my next cartridge in my bag - I have one little zippy case with my handset and testing gubbins in, and one with my inserter, spare hosepipe and cannula, emergency Flexpen, battery and cartridge. Each time I change the cartridge (6-7 days) I put THAT new cartridge in, and replace it immediately in the zippy with one out of the fridge.

I don't worry about my insulin having been out of the fridge for what amounts to nearly a fortnight at a time (time spent in zippy case plus time spent in pump), and so far I've had no problems with either bubbles or less than perfect insulin.

When I started pumping I too was advised to take the cartridge out of the fridge 12-24 hours beforehand, but the way I do it makes me feel more comfortable in terms of always having the next one on me, in case of any emergencies.

Edited to say - I don't ever suspend insulin delivery. I don't pause or switch off the pump when I remove it to shower or swim. That was something we talked about at my pump start, and we were told that it causes no problems to just leave it running (after all this is not for hours at a time) and reconnect when ready. I therefore don't reprime before reconnecting, and come to think of it nor do I do a cannula fill.
to me it seems mine is a mechanical failure on the pump i was doing fine the other week but for the last week i have to prime prime prime :[

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would have to agree, @Type1Lad - it sounds as if it's a mechanical issue with the pump itself. I hope they sort you out soon - it must be a right pain to be having to think about whether the next bubble is about to appear!

Do keep us posted - it's really useful for us fellow Insighters to have awareness of any issues.

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would have to agree, @Type1Lad - it sounds as if it's a mechanical issue with the pump itself. I hope they sort you out soon - it must be a right pain to be having to think about whether the next bubble is about to appear!

Do keep us posted - it's really useful for us fellow Insighters to have awareness of any issues.

Will do meeting with rep Thursday but had to prime at least 10 out just now hoping to go onto a combo but we will have to wait till Thursday for that. =.=

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do the same as that is what the rep told me to do

Me too and so far not seen hardly any bubbles ?, there are a few I've seen reporting the same issues as above with lots of bubbles.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Roll on Thursday, @Type1Lad - good luck with the rep - in your position I'd probably request a replacement pump as you need to be able to trust it as an essential medical device, without the anxiety you're experiencing.

Bye bye bubbles (I hope!).

Reactions: 4 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Did you get the prob;em sorted out with the air bubbles? Mine has started doing the same

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
i am not on a pump but MDI. However a few months ago I was put on 200 strengh Humalog pens. No matter how much I try i cannot get rid of bubbles. I can get most out but not all and by the end of the day more have appeared. I wonder if it is caused by slight changes in temperature throughout the day. The insulin is sealed so if the liquid volume changes slightly it might cause (not air bubbles but vacuum bubbles, if the piston plunger is stiff) As the plunger does not move but the volume needs it too. Think of how an old fashioned temp gauge works. Perhaps Humalog is more suseptible to it?

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
its novorapid in the cartridges and todays bubble was the biggest yet, around 2 cm's

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Do you mean 2 millimeters? As 2 cm would be half the size of the cartridge.

Regards

Martin