Type 2 High blood sugar 25to28

billmoira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi please can someone tell how they feel when there blood sugar levels are 25 or 28 thanks

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @billmoira ,

Welcome to the forums. Why don't you tell us how you feel when your glucose levels are that high?

It is not good to be walking around with with high glucose figures, you really ought to be seeking urgent medical advice before it makes you ill.

Tanny35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @billmoira

I have occasionally has bloods that high before. And it is a horrible feeling.
These are the symptoms I experienced when I got them - total weakness throughout my whole body and severe lethargy, I felt sick and really thirsty. And the main symptom I get which is a give away for an abnormal high is a really strange feeling in my nose and face.
I agree with the above comment tho, as a type1 I would inject myself wit insulin to bring it down.
If it's persistently that high for you, you should seek medical advice before u get poorly.
Hope it comes down for you

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

billmoira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi thanks for your reply you probably think this is a excuse but i had been driving and feet unwell and having a hyperaemia stop my car some call the police said i was drunk.
I was ask to take a breath test but as i was unwell i got very angry my mouth was very very dry in need of a drink of water i told the police i am a diabetic and siad i need of water and police siad no

Last edited by a moderator:

billmoira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @billmoira

These are the symptoms I experienced when I got them - total weakness throughout my whole body and severe lethargy, I felt sick and really thirsty. And the main symptom I get which is a give away for an abnormal high is a really strange feeling in my nose and face.
I agree with the above comment tho, as a type1 I would inject myself wit insulin to bring it down.
If it's persistently that high for you, you should seek medical advice before u get poorly.

Thank you for your reply

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi thanks for your reply you probably think this is a excuse but i had been driving and feet unwell and having a hyperaemia stop my some call the police said i was drunk.
I was ask to take a breath test but as i was unwell i got very angry my mouth was very very dry in need of a drink of water i told the police i am a diabetic and siad i need of water and police siad no

Have you lost weight as well? Excessive thirst is a sign that the body wants you to drink more liquids in order to flush out ketones.

This is potentially quite bad. Please seek medical attention.

billmoira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @billmoira

Hi please can you tell me if you think when you feel like that would you be able to take a breath test thank you for your time bill

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
When I was first diagnosed, I was told to go to A&E if my blood levels reached over 25

I would suggest contact 111 and asking their advice as soon as you can if your levels are that high

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi please can someone tell how they feel when there blood sugar levels are 25 or 28 thanks
@billmoira I know when I was that high I wondered whst all the fuss was about.
I walked around and was as active as normal. Did my shopping and worked long shifts at work.
BUT.....
your body hasnt just reached that high over night. Because your body has managed to get used to those high numbers thirst and occasional sleeping wipe outs was all I experienced.
However the damage to your system is sometimes irreversible.
Do something NOW.
if these high sugars damage your eyes would you be hapoy to live permanently that way?
Myself I was craving sugary foods too.
The only solution is medical intervention and reduced carbs. Sugary ones first, then pasta, bread and potatoes. Reduction will help, a lot.
If your hungry nibble on salad finger foods and have a pan of cooked veg at the ready.
Give it a go. Good luck. Give yourself a chance to get those dangerous numbers down.
Any blood glucose level higher than 7.8 can cause damage.

billmoira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@billmoira I know when I was that high I wondered whst all the fuss was about.
I walked around and was as active as normal. Did my shopping and worked long shifts at work.
BUT.....
your body hasnt just reached that high over night. Because your body has managed to get used to those high numbers thirst and occasional sleeping wipe outs was all I experienced.
However the damage to your system is sometimes irreversible.
Do something NOW.
if these high sugars damage your eyes would you be hapoy to live permanently that way?
Myself I was craving sugary foods too.
The only solution is medical intervention and reduced carbs. Sugary ones first, then pasta, bread and potatoes. Reduction will help, a lot.
If your hungry nibble on salad finger foods and have a pan of cooked veg at the ready.
Give it a go. Good luck. Give yourself a chance to get those dangerous numbers down.
Any blood glucose level higher than 7.8 can cause damage.
Thank you

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi thanks for your reply you probably think this is a excuse but i had been driving and feet unwell and having a hyperaemia stop my car some call the police said i was drunk.

What was your blood sugar before you got in the car? Did your hyperglycaemia come on suddenly?

With blood sugar that high, I would be feeling ill and would have blurry vision.

Did you manage to take the breath test ok?

billmoira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What was your blood sugar before you got in the car? Did your hyperglycaemia come on suddenly?

With blood sugar that high, I would be feeling ill and would have blurry vision.

Did you manage to take the breath test ok?
No have been fine for refusing. Thanks

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Appeal and get gp to write a letter as to what hyperglycemia does to breathlessness. On occasion I was very breathless. I put it down to being overweight but maybe hypers give you that too.
Has your gp advised you on diabetes and driving? Dvla's requirements?

Edited by a mod

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Have you got some legal advice? Will that fine be the end of it?

I ask because I'm not sure it's that easy to prove you were physically unable to give a blood test. Did the police do a blood test instead?

billmoira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you got some legal advice? Will that fine be the end of it?

I ask because I'm not sure it's that easy to prove you were physically unable to give a blood test. Did the police do a blood test instead?
I had paramedic come to me and did not put my suger level in there report

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had paramedic come to me and did not put my suger level in there report

Did they use their own meter? Would there be a record of the result there or elsewhere? Was that how you knew you were hyperglycaemic or had you tested your own blood sugar when you pulled over?

Even if the paramedics didn't record it, wouldn't the police have entered it in their notes?

Tanny35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did they use their own meter? Would there be a record of the result there or elsewhere? Was that how you knew you were hyperglycaemic or had you tested your own blood sugar when you pulled over?

Even if the paramedics didn't record it, wouldn't the police have entered it in their notes?

I have had paramedics before, and each time they have recorded the bg results. So hopefully they will have them recorded.

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@billmoira If you feel you've been fined unfairly, you can appeal. IF you're uncertain, then perhaps it would be best to consultant someone with legal expertise. Hopefully, they would be able to advise you about the likelihood of success and ask appropriate questions Eg did you try and fail to give a breath test? What did the police do then? Did the paramedics check for ketones? Did you have to go to hospital? Were more tests taken there? How was your driving?

Breathlessness is not a common symptom of hyperglycaemia but ketoacidosis can cause irregular breathing. However, I presume the paramedics checked for that?

While no one here can advise you about this legal issue, the advice above about seeking medical help for your high blood sugar is very sensible.

You haven't said whether you test at home nor what medication you're on. Your meds might need adjusting if you're going as high as this. Do see your GP as soon as you can (or seek more urgent medical help if you feel ill).

You could check out the Type 2 section of this forum for general advice and support. There are lots of helpful people here. But do speak to a doctor initially as you'll feel a lot better with blood sugars in range. For yoyr own peace of mind, a doctor coukd also give you a more general check to make sure all seems ok with your general health too, bearing in mind your experience above.

Best wishes

Azure

P.S
Information about hyperglycaemia (high blood sugar) here:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/Diabetes-and-Hyperglycaemia.html

"What are the symptoms of hyperglycemia?
The main 3 symptoms of high blood sugar levels are increased urination, increased thirst and increased hunger.

High blood sugar levels can also contribute to the following symptoms:

billmoira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thanks for your reply the paramedics told me they used there own meter