Dealing with a know it all non-diabetic

linnyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
People who are cruel to people or animals.
It's interesting to hear how often this misunderstanding arises - BUT i am afraid that there is little hope of change anytime soon. Diabetic since 21, am 44 now & my husband still gets confused & I have been with him since I was 15!!! Luckily I rarely get hypos & recognize the signs quickly. Love him to bits & he has a heart of gold, but it does confuse him x

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Basic level first aid here in Canada that is a requirement for many jobs has a section about diabetes. They stress that if you know someone is diabetic and acting drunk or off to treat for a low and offer sugar if they are conscious. They stress that you will not hurt someone if their sugars are high but could save a life if they are low. The key to it all is to educate as many people as possible. We have commercials on TV that tell you what to do for heart attack or stroke but not hypoglycemia. Maybe we should have those too.
Years ago the company I worked for had health education days for example, epilepsy, asthma, heart attacks. When I suggested to HR that maybe they should consider educating my colleagues on diabetic hypos, etc., they thought that as I was the only diabetic in the building it wasn't necessary and no one would be interested.

debz48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
I hate cruelty to animals.
Basic level first aid here in Canada that is a requirement for many jobs has a section about diabetes. They stress that if you know someone is diabetic and acting drunk or off to treat for a low and offer sugar if they are conscious. They stress that you will not hurt someone if their sugars are high but could save a life if they are low. The key to it all is to educate as many people as possible. We have commercials on TV that tell you what to do for heart attack or stroke but not hypoglycemia. Maybe we should have those too.
I totally agree with you chalup. You see numerous adverts about cancer, stroke and heart attacks. But what about diabetes, addisons disease and asthma???

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I had a very good friend that was T1 from the time he was a toddler and having many complications and wild swings. I saw him have a bad hypo on a few occasions and he always carried chocolate in his pocket. I would never have dreamed of touching his insulin for any reason.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I come along this kind of people all the time. One of them actually studies medicine and was convinced low blood sugars cause bradycardia (which is nonsense, as low blood sugars HUGELY raises heart rates)! What I've learnt from these people is ignorance is bliss. Even though they know you are a diabetic and you live off the rules of diabetes, most of them won't understand the fact that their conceptions are wrong. Just ignore them, and watch your health ;)

S

Shar67

I come along this kind of people all the time. One of them actually studies medicine and was convinced low blood sugars cause bradycardia (which is nonsense, as low blood sugars HUGELY raises heart rates)! What I've learnt from these people is ignorance is bliss. Even though they know you are a diabetic and you live off the rules of diabetes, most of them won't understand the fact that their conceptions are wrong. Just ignore them, and watch your health ;)

Well not in everyone, hypoglycaemia can cause bradycardia in some diabetics, type 1 or insulin dependant more at risk.
It is more related to nightime hypos and can kill.
I myself have always had low blood pressure and the heart rate of an athlete much to the confusion of many doctors and nurses, they all seem to think I will have HBP and high cholesterol, the highest bp I've had was 110/65 so normal, bp usual is 96/60 with heart rate of 55 to 60 bpm

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I myself have always had low blood pressure and the heart rate of an athlete much to the confusion of many doctors and nurses, they all seem to think I will have HBP and high cholesterol, the highest bp I've had was 110/65 so normal, bp usual is 96/60 with heart rate of 55 to 60 bpm
Oh my goodness. I have had this experience lol."You can't possibly have that blood pressure, you are a fat middle aged smoker" Then they take it 3 times and it is still low. I will tell them that is normal for me but no one listens. Any problems I have ever had with blood pressure is from it going too low. I quit smoking a year ago but my BP has not changed. 100/60 is quite normal for me.

cjj

tell them to **** off
It is funny, but it is not :) I am type 1 and recently had a conversation with a well meaning know it all non-diabetic who insisted that I must take insulin not carbs when I am low. Of course, there is always the you can't eat sugar discussion. I tried to explain that I could have carbs and need them when I am low, but she assured me that she was right and I was completely ignorant of what I was talking about. What kind if experiences do others have with this type of expert advice :)?

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

tell them to **** off, simple, job done, they wont be back in such a hurry.