T1s: How many carbs do you have a day-typically

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been diabetic for over 35 years now and have been taking around the same amount of carbs during this period

On a typical day I will have porridge/cereal for breakfast, around 50g, a snack of a biscuit or 2 a few hours later, 20g
For lunch again around 50g and for dinner around 60g with a 20g snack around 8pm

So in total around 200 g on a typical day

Now i know there is no definitive correct answer, we are all different, just curious to know how much you guys have on a normal day, with no specific diet plans, eg low carb high fat etc

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have approx 180g a day :)

If you have a Search, or even just a look back through the Type 1 pages, you'll find some threads and polls where people talk about the amount of carbs they eat. I find them fascinating. As you say, we're all different :)

MickyFinn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I would tend to have somewhere between 80g and 130g approx per day, so I am probably eating less than most.

I was only diagnosed as type 1in November last year, but I was already eating a low carb diet because I have had Crohn's disease for 11 now and found it helped my gut an awful lot, stay in remission and stay off mess for it since 2011. So I suppose I was already eating well for diabetes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
My daily average is 200g of carbs, due to a vegetarian diet. My BG control is quite good though: perhaps because most of my food is low GI.

Silas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta.
Been diabetic for over 35 years now and have been taking around the same amount of carbs during this period

On a typical day I will have porridge/cereal for breakfast, around 50g, a snack of a biscuit or 2 a few hours later, 20g
For lunch again around 50g and for dinner around 60g with a 20g snack around 8pm

So in total around 200 g on a typical day

Now i know there is no definitive correct answer, we are all different, just curious to know how much you guys have on a normal day, with no specific diet plans, eg low carb high fat etc
Hi,
I have had type 1 a little longer than you (44 years) and these days I vary my intake much more that I ever did in the earlier days.

I generally aim to take 55g of CHO2 per main meal but this can be less or more depending on the meal. I adjust my insulin accordingly and use the ACCU-CHEK Aviva Expert meter to calculate my dose. I may also top up with extra carbs if I am heading too low.

My weight has been stable for the last 40+ years and is around 70 kg and I am of average height at 5'9 1/2" (1.75m).
I sometimes think I should reduce my carb intake but I am an energetic person and unless my weight changes I will stick with what I am eating. I am an omnivore!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Varies from day to day but on average about 180g a day.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi about 80 to 100 per day. Today I had 70 carbs.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
About 50g per day, but have to admit that I don't like carb counting. I set out to avoid carbs. I guess and reckon I usually manage a fairly low carb count.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
120 gms carbs per day and have done so for over 50 years

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
between 180 and 250g a day, weekends I can eat stupid amounts.........

the less carbs the better is the conclusions I have drawn.....;)

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Somewhere between 120-180 usually, looking at my meters logs.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
I used to be on that 50 carbs per meal plus snacks diet.

Now, I'm at around 30 a day.

Reactions: 2 people

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Like others here, I try to limit my carb intake to approx 120 a day.

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I reckon less than 50g per day. I don't eat any bread, potatoes, rice pasta etc. Any carbs are from vegetables and dairy so I don't carb count as such . For most meals I have 2 units novorapid - up it a bit if I have pulses or eat lots.

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Varies which probably isn't great, at my best under 100gs a day at worse 200gs. But when I look at my fellow non-diabetics that is amazingly low!!!