Type 2 Sugar Levels still High whats next

JessT24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

so it coming up 2 years now since i was told about my T2.

its been very hard to get my head around but now recently my bloods have come back as very high 63 , in feb they where 66 .

I have tried to cut out sugar altogether but when i do i get to week 3-4 of it and i end up really drained and craving sugar which then leads to a bottle of lucozade just to pick myself up .

I have also started with very bad aching feet for past few months this is worse when i get out of bed in middle of the night or in themorning or when i have sat down for a long while . i am on my feet alot of the days all the time . is this connected with T2?

i just dontknow where to start now whats the next step is it meds ?
does meds mean all my life ?
will i ever get it under control ?

Reactions: 3 people

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
What is your diet like? Lucozade is a pretty bad choice but I expect youknow that. Any excess weight to lose? Can you increase exercise? For me losing weight, cutting back on carbs and icreasing the amount I exercised transformed me. I have fallen off the wagon more times than I care to remember but I am lucky: I can make it work. For me it's more in my mind. If my mind is 'in the zone' then life is easier.

Reactions: 5 people

JessT24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What is your diet like? Lucozade is a pretty bad choice but I expect youknow that. Any excess weight to lose? Can you increase exercise? For me losing weight, cutting back on carbs and icreasing the amount I exercised transformed me. I have fallen off the wagon more times than I care to remember but I am lucky: I can make it work. For me it's more in my mind. If my mind is 'in the zone' then life is easier.
I walk every day at the moment trying to do more exercise is hard as I a single mum to two boys I work part time the only time I have no kids is 1-3 in which I finish work and go home for lunch sit for 30 mins and back out the door again .

I know lucozade very bad but when I feeling that drained I need a high sugar fix I have to otherwise I cant meet my childrens needs .

diet not to bad to be honest home cook alot I dont do much fruit or veg .

Carbs are heavy in my diet but I dont know what I can swap or do with that

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

6cats

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is very difficult. I was so terrified when I was diagnosed that I stop all cakes, biscuits etc. It's not only sugar it's carbohydrates that as as bad. I went on the LCHF diet, not rigidly, but I am careful. Indo have the odd sweet and the odd biscuit. My Hb1 level has dropped from 135 to 48 in 5 months so it works. Diet Doctor is a good site as well as Diabetes UK. It is life changing but it's a 'no choice's thing. We all fall off the wagon it about clambering back on and staying there!?!?!

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Ok. Why don't you give us a few sample meals that you like and we will see if we can offer low carb suggestions. Are you testing your blood sugar at home? But ditch the Lucozade. It's hard for me to think of a worse drink for a diabetic friendly diet.

JessT24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It is very difficult. I was so terrified when I was diagnosed that I stop all cakes, biscuits etc. It's not only sugar it's carbohydrates that as as bad. I went on the LCHF diet, not rigidly, but I am careful. Indo have the odd sweet and the odd biscuit. My Hb1 level has dropped from 135 to 48 in 5 months so it works. Diet Doctor is a good site as well as Diabetes UK. It is life changing but it's a 'no choice's thing. We all fall off the wagon it about clambering back on and staying there!?!?!

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
What LCFH ?

JessT24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ok. Why don't you give us a few sample meals that you like and we will see if we can offer low carb suggestions. Are you testing your blood sugar at home? But ditch the Lucozade. It's hard for me to think of a worse drink for a diabetic friendly diet.
Pizza , spag bol , curry and wraps , fish , chios and beans , sausage casserole with mash ........ lunchs I stuck on sarnies because there easy and quick or crackers but crabs aswell , I am a sucker for cheese as well xx

JessT24

Type of diabetes
Type 2

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
If you haven't been given blood glucose test meter I suggest you buy one and keep a food diary for a couple of weeks. Test when you first get up, before each meal, one hour after meals and two hours after meals. Lots of us bought S D Codefree meters as they are fairly cheap and test strips are about the cheapest.
Your diet has lots of carbs. I love carbs but they turn to sugar so cut back. LCHF is low car healthy ( or high) fat. It's a better way of eating for diabetics.
You said you were not keen on vegetables. Which ones do you like? Cheese, eggs etc all fine to eat. Have you read the Welcome message for new members from @daisy1 ?

JessT24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you haven't been given blood glucose test meter I suggest you buy one and keep a food diary for a couple of weeks. Test when you first get up, before each meal, one hour after meals and two hours after meals. Lots of us bought S D Codefree meters as they are fairly cheap and test strips are about the cheapest.
Your diet has lots of carbs. I love carbs but they turn to sugar so cut back. LCHF is low car healthy ( or high) fat. It's a better way of eating for diabetics.
You said you were not keen on vegetables. Which ones do you like? Cheese, eggs etc all fine to eat. Have you read the Welcome message for new members from @daisy1 ?
Yeah just read that not I not been onnhere for a while .

I like eggs , carrots , pepper , meats , tuna only with mayo ,pickled beetroot

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The ONLY way you can lower those blood sugar levels without medication, or more medication, is to seriously reduce those carbs. It isn't just sugar. It is all carbs. If you don't, your levels will never come down and you will make yourself very ill eventually.

All those foods you mention are really bad apart from cheese.

You need a blood glucose meter. This is the only way to learn just what your meals are doing to you, and what you can do about it. We were almost all told not to test by our doctors/nurses, but that is crazy advice. Testing before a meal and a couple of hours later is the only way to do it. So, if you are serious about helping yourself buy a meter and start testing.

Try eggs cooked any which way, bacon, eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms, any meat, any fish as long as it isn't covered with batter or breadcrumbs, salmon, vegetables that grow above ground (not root veggies), salads, dairy, berries.

Avoid bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, cereals and flour.

Have a good read round the forum, and ask questions.

Reactions: 2 people

JessT24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The ONLY way you can lower those blood sugar levels without medication, or more medication, is to seriously reduce those carbs. It isn't just sugar. It is all carbs. If you don't, your levels will never come down and you will make yourself very ill eventually.

All those foods you mention are really bad apart from cheese.

You need a blood glucose meter. This is the only way to learn just what your meals are doing to you, and what you can do about it. We were almost all told not to test by our doctors/nurses, but that is crazy advice. Testing before a meal and a couple of hours later is the only way to do it. So, if you are serious about helping yourself buy a meter and start testing.

Try eggs cooked any which way, bacon, eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms, any meat, any fish as long as it isn't covered with batter or breadcrumbs, salmon, vegetables that grow above ground (not root veggies), salads, dairy, berries.

Avoid bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, cereals and flour.

Have a good read round the forum, and ask questions.
Thank you
The testing is it a good way of doing it its just I suggested it to my mum and she said no ....

ah the fish is in batter I dont do fish with out ewwww .......

What can I replace for the carbs

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I hate to say it...but your mum is wrong. Test! test! test! (At least until you know what keeps your blood sugar low)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Does your mum want to help you? Explain to her that testing is essential if you are to lower those high levels and hopefully avoid all the nasty diabetes complications. Your mum is wrong.

What can you replace the carbs with? The foods I mentioned above. Meat and fish, fill up on vegetables, eat eggs, cheese and salads.

This is an excellent low carb programme you can join

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/lowcarb/

also have a look at this

http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
Carraway has given you a number of excellent pointers. Read up about LC diet. There are many options that will help you to forgo big carbs full of sugar.. I know from personal experience that a normal diet is hard to forego. This is the supreme test. I'm sure you will win through despite falling off the wagon from time to time.
Testing is the only way to know which foods to avoid. So getting a meter is the answer. I was told no to a meter but I talked the DN into parting with one but I do have to buy the test strips and needles.
Keep reading this forum. You will get so much encouragement and advice. I do.
I do have an unused new meter if you would like it.
Keep smiling. The children need you to be happy.:D

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@JessT24

This is a quote from a thread you started 12 weeks ago asking about the need to test, and everyone gave you good advice.

Thank you everyone , I be purchasing a testing kit out my own pocket as dr won't prescribe. I hope to get it all under control to avoid going on medication. Thanks again

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/some-advice-please.100328/

I assume you went away and didn't buy one? I hope you have a re-think.

Reactions: 4 people

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Jess
I can relate to exactly where you are and what you are saying - and I should have known better, being a trained nurse :( When I was diagnosed Type 2 several years ago, I wanted to test but the Diabetes Nurse said no, there was no need to test. So, I went away feeling testing wasn't important and therefore my blood sugar level wasn't so important either; after all, I was only type 2 and only on Metformin.

However, I did decide to buy a meter and did test from time to time. Needless to say, I would test when I knew I had been 'good', or very hungry and not test when I knew I'd been eating things I shouldn't. Yes, it's easy to hide ...

When I was prescribed Glipizide, I was given a meter. Wow! My diabetes is now 'important' !!! It's strange how things can seem, eh? So, I decided I would 'get to grips' a bit, and have lowered my carbohydrates significantly. My favourite foods include fresh white bread, real butter, mashed bananas on this lovely bread; pasta; pizza, potatoes and, of course, lots of chocolate. So, yes, I can understand why you are saying 'what will replace these fillers'. Well, I've actually cut down portions, rarely eat potatoes, only eat 1 slice Bergan a day (breakfast), no pasta, no rice and, believe it or not, rarely chocolate. I rarely feel hungry though, now. I never thought I'd ever be able to say that. Often, for lunch, I have just salad, with dressing; no meat, no potatoes, no dessert. Believe it or not, that can carry me through 3 hours! There must be some carbs in the salad so I need to check.

So, for someone with a very sweet tooth and a 'chocoholic' (seriously), it is possible but you just need to find the right motivation. I don't have will-power! It isn't in me! I have to be convinced it's what I want. I feel better these days and I've lost 2 stones. I've more to go ...

Stick with it, get a test kit and go for it. Once you get on top of it, you will feel much better in yourself. Yes, I fall off the wagon too, like everyone else, but then I have to get back on. I'd be too ashamed to tell you what I eat when I fall off ;)

We're all behind you
Julie

Reactions: 6 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with all the advice above. We ALL love those foods but I love watching my kids grow up, keeping my eye sight and feeling my toes better. It's just stinking food. Eat what keeps your bs low and watch your kids grow up, keep your ey site and feet. It JUST food. It's not life. We all gave up so much. You can too.

Said with best of intentions.

Reactions: 4 people