First 7 Day Fast COMPLETED!!

Gingerjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Very new to all this only diagnosed one week ago, trying to manage with diet and no Metformin. If I do IF for one or two days a week and take Nuzest then go LCHF is this ok? Thanks

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very new to all this only diagnosed one week ago, trying to manage with diet and no Metformin. If I do IF for one or two days a week and take Nuzest then go LCHF is this ok? Thanks

Since you are very new to this, I would strongly advise you to take things steadily. Introduce changes one at a time, and make sure that your new way of life is sustainable. There is no single prescription of diet, exercise and/or medication that works for us all.

I take my hat off to Kevin for his achievements, but no way in hell would I choose to do what he has done. I do much better with one at a time changes, and settling into new lifestyle activities. It allows me to thoroughly assess each change to see if it is beneficial, and it lets me transition in a sustainable way. Then I can keep the ones that work and discard the things that don't. This means my life remains pleasantly recognisable. ;)

If I had tried what Kevin did, it would have been too much, too soon. I might have overcome the first hurdle or three, but sooner or later I would have stumbled, fallen, and probably thrown the baby out with the bathwater. lol. It takes a particular kind of commitment and personality to do such rapid change - and I am definitely not that kind of person.

Everyone reading this probably knows exactly how many life changing diet and exercise commitments they have started, sustained and maintained during their life. I have too many failed diets under my belt to fall for another strict regime. Your mileage may vary (and I envy you if it does :D )!

Also, from my reading and personal experience, it is MUCH easier to transition onto intermittent fasting after you have adjusted to low carbing. Your body is already half way into ketosis, the carb cravings are gone, your appetite will have shrunk, and you have adjusted to less food and fewer snacks. Plus, if you are one of the people who loses weight (if you want to) on LC, then the intermittent fasting often isn't necessary. The weight loss alone, however fast, or slow, will de fat your liver (if that is the cause of your type 2). And if a fatty liver is NOT the cause of your T2, then no amount of fasting or weight loss will cause a reversal. Why would anyone go to the extremes of Intermittent Fasting if they are losing weight at a healthy rate, and feeling better already?

Regarding the Nuzest, it is a dietary supplement. Nothing more, nothing less. There are other brands. Probably worth you reading around and deciding on the best one for you, your requirements and your lifestyle.

Sorry @KevinPotts this post is not in any way intended to criticise you, or belittle your achievements. I am just aware that there has been a recent almost Born Again frenzy on the forum for extreme dieting and extended fasting. These are short sprints races, often unsustainable in the long run. Type 2 diabetes is a marathon, not a sprint, so raising expectations too high is a dispiriting thing for the majority if the sprint doesn't reverse their condition (I believe the latest statistics on the Newcastle Diet put the reversal rate at 6 months in the region of 43%. That is a 57% disappointment rate).

I guess I would rather be a rock steady tortoise than a hare - but then I have been dealing with glucose intolerance issues for over 40 years now, so my marathon is quite a long one and I have made plenty of failed attempts at sprinting on the way.

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Since you are very new to this, I would strongly advise you to take things steadily. Introduce changes one at a time, and make sure that your new way of life is sustainable. There is no single prescription of diet, exercise and/or medication that works for us all.

I take my hat off to Kevin for his achievements, but no way in hell would I choose to do what he has done. I do much better with one at a time changes, and settling into new lifestyle activities. It allows me to thoroughly assess each change to see if it is beneficial, and it lets me transition in a sustainable way. Then I can keep the ones that work and discard the things that don't. This means my life remains pleasantly recognisable. ;)

If I had tried what Kevin did, it would have been too much, too soon. I might have overcome the first hurdle or three, but sooner or later I would have stumbled, fallen, and probably thrown the baby out with the bathwater. lol. It takes a particular kind of commitment and personality to do such rapid change - and I am definitely not that kind of person.

Everyone reading this probably knows exactly how many life changing diet and exercise commitments they have started, sustained and maintained during their life. I have too many failed diets under my belt to fall for another strict regime. Your mileage may vary (and I envy you if it does :D )!

Also, from my reading and personal experience, it is MUCH easier to transition onto intermittent fasting after you have adjusted to low carbing. Your body is already half way into ketosis, the carb cravings are gone, your appetite will have shrunk, and you have adjusted to less food and fewer snacks. Plus, if you are one of the people who loses weight (if you want to) on LC, then the intermittent fasting often isn't necessary. The weight loss alone, however fast, or slow, will de fat your liver (if that is the cause of your type 2). And if a fatty liver is NOT the cause of your T2, then no amount of fasting or weight loss will cause a reversal. Why would anyone go to the extremes of Intermittent Fasting if they are losing weight at a healthy rate, and feeling better already?

Regarding the Nuzest, it is a dietary supplement. Nothing more, nothing less. There are other brands. Probably worth you reading around and deciding on the best one for you, your requirements and your lifestyle.

Sorry @KevinPotts this post is not in any way intended to criticise you, or belittle your achievements. I am just aware that there has been a recent almost Born Again frenzy on the forum for extreme dieting and extended fasting. These are short sprints races, often unsustainable in the long run. Type 2 diabetes is a marathon, not a sprint, so raising expectations too high is a dispiriting thing for the majority if the sprint doesn't reverse their condition (I believe the latest statistics on the Newcastle Diet put the reversal rate at 6 months in the region of 43%. That is a 57% disappointment rate).

I guess I would rather be a rock steady tortoise than a hare - but then I have been dealing with glucose intolerance issues for over 40 years now, so my marathon is quite a long one and I have made plenty of failed attempts at sprinting on the way.

No need to apologise, this is an excellent post:)

I have an incredibly forceful will and determination and if you are not temperamentally disposed to my level of radical more harm than good is likely.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

@Brunneria thoughtful post is well worth listening to:)

Steady and committed is the way to go:)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Kev ;)

How are you doing now? Still basking in your success and testing different foods? Are you finding you stay nicely in range, or are you finding spikes at all? (I spike worse with grains that root veg, and I always wonder if there are food intolerances involved...)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks Kev ;)

How are you doing now? Still basking in your success and testing different foods? Are you finding you stay nicely in range, or are you finding spikes at all? (I spike worse with grains that root veg, and I always wonder if there are food intolerances involved...)

I'm finding this second three months tricky to be honest.

Quite a lot of spiking, but at least I'm finding what I can and cannot tolerate, so once I'm back into my strict regime, but with a broader range of foods, I'll be fine:)

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm finding this second three months tricky to be honest.

Quite a lot of spiking, but at least I'm finding what I can and cannot tolerate, so once I'm back into my strict regime, but with a broader range of foods, I'll be fine:)

You've certainly taken a quite extreme approach Kevin, and for a million and one reasons, the extended fasting wouldn't be for me.

Like you, I made a fairly significant impact on my diabetes, in short order; going from 88 to 37 in 4 months. It was only four months because I'd been out of the UK from 3 weeks post-diagnosis, so I wasn't around at the 3 month point.

For me, I just trimmed back my carbs, focusing on reducing my blood numbers. I didn't pay any heed to my weight, aside from the fact it was clear I was losing weight when my shorts were getting loose and some things plain old didn't fit any more.

From my first HbA1c, I just stuck with my diet. I certainly didn't cut back any more, but my HbA1c dropped a bit more, as did my weight. My HbA1cs have been pretty stable thereafter, with a 2 point notch from 31-33 when I have a protracted period of medical investigations, then surgery. Hopefully it'll remain stable for time to come.

Adopting the approach I did, I haven't had any cravings (well, aside from the very odd time I could breathe in a baguette; especially when at the counter of a proper French boulangerie, in Tropical Frogland). My greatest challenge was halting weight loss. How have you found that aspect?

I've ended up extremely fit, well and very slight indeed and I seem to have sort of meandered to that point. I've never taken any meds or supplements.

This thread, and the recent exchanged just illustrate yet again how there are many ways of skinning this cat, for those lucky enough to have bodies able to repair themselves along the way.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You've certainly taken a quite extreme approach Kevin, and for a million and one reasons, the extended fasting wouldn't be for me.

Like you, I made a fairly significant impact on my diabetes, in short order; going from 88 to 37 in 4 months. It was only four months because I'd been out of the UK from 3 weeks post-diagnosis, so I wasn't around at the 3 month point.

For me, I just trimmed back my carbs, focusing on reducing my blood numbers. I didn't pay any heed to my weight, aside from the fact it was clear I was losing weight when my shorts were getting loose and some things plain old didn't fit any more.

From my first HbA1c, I just stuck with my diet. I certainly didn't cut back any more, but my HbA1c dropped a bit more, as did my weight. My HbA1cs have been pretty stable thereafter, with a 2 point notch from 31-33 when I have a protracted period of medical investigations, then surgery. Hopefully it'll remain stable for time to come.

Adopting the approach I did, I haven't had any cravings (well, aside from the very odd time I could breathe in a baguette; especially when at the counter of a proper French boulangerie, in Tropical Frogland). My greatest challenge was halting weight loss. How have you found that aspect?

I've ended up extremely fit, well and very slight indeed and I seem to have sort of meandered to that point. I've never taken any meds or supplements.

This thread, and the recent exchanged just illustrate yet again how there are many ways of skinning this cat, for those lucky enough to have bodies able to repair themselves along the way.

Some really interesting insights from you, thanks:)

I am a regular gym attendee so I'm still putting on muscle which helps with my alround strength and fitness and my weight has been stable at 69.9kg for a full month. When I think back to the 120kg I was at one time, I feel so much better:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to do an extended fast! Already gone past 25hrs and will try to get to 48 hours or beyond.....I'm a bit narky today so that'll probably be worse tomorrow but I may as well try!!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @KevinPotts

Are you ok? I've not seen you around for a while so thought I'd check in!

D x

Yes doing great thanks Deb. Lots on in the garden and prepping to start new job as a Citizen Advise Advisor.....and summer out and about with the family. But feeling healthy and happy:). Thanks for asking. Kev

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hood to hear all is fabulous! And well done for the CAB job - very important and probably life changing for the people who need your help. Xxx

hornplayer

New to fasting and taking baby steps. Loving it so far though. I feel so much better. A bit scared if I'm honest though. A bit like the first time I bought butter and bacon instead of fat free yogurt lol.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just trust your body to tell you what it needs. Are you doing low carb? That definitely makes it easier x

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
....will and determination and if you are not temperamentally disposed to my level of radical.......
Probably just flagged yourself up on every Government computer between Cheltenham and Washington D.C.
Just sayin'.....:wideyed:

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Nuzest "green-gunk" looks interesting. A bit of research shows it is cheaper to buy on Amazon than direct from the website.

Will give it a try.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nuzest "green-gunk" looks interesting. A bit of research shows it is cheaper to buy on Amazon than direct from the website.

Will give it a try.

Further research will show you its cheapest to buy in 1kg bulk from Oz, ship it to the UK and still save around 25%:)

Together with my Clean Lean Protein, 1tablesp each of milled chia seed and flax seed (H&B) and 1 tablesp of organic apple cider (Amazon) and 1 tablesp of Udo Erasmus' (Amazon) Essential fatty acid oil, the addition of 10g of Good Green Stuff complete my "daily first thing" regime:)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My next 7 day fast starts tomorrow evening at 7pm!