My diabetes has gone

KittyKatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. I saw my GP today for my now annual hba1c results. They remain at 31. They have been 31 at the last five or so tests in the 18 months. He seemed amazed, even baffled.

I told him I was mostly low carbs but occasionally had bread and potatoes. He told me "whatever it is you're going, it's working. I've never seen anything quite like it before." (really?)

He suggested I return in two years for another blood test.

But I have no plans to ever have cake, chocolate or biscuit again. I'm glad to have been free of their toxins for the past two years:)

Ironically I'm now worried that without the fear of diabetic complications, I might not keep to a strict diet and put on weight again. Crazy, I know.

Reactions: Jo123 and Prem51

Sauron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Morons
Sounds like your doing an amazing job any blips will soon be sorted by yourself or the doctors

Reactions: Prem51 and Freema

KittyKatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks people. But I'm actually still rather suspicious of the new diagnosis. I have a feeling it's kept at bay because I don't exhaust my pancreas as I used to. Also I'm an apple shape who has gone down 5 clothes sizes so I think less fat from the midriff helps.
I'm going to do a week of bread, rice, pasta or potatoes with my meals and check my bloods. ;)

Reactions: Prem51

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks people. But I'm actually still rather suspicious of the new diagnosis. I have a feeling it's kept at bay because I don't exhaust my pancreas as I used to. Also I'm an apple shape who has gone down 5 clothes sizes so I think less fat from the midriff helps.
I'm going to do a week of bread, rice, pasta or potatoes with my meals and check my bloods. ;)

please do some writing and tell exactly what you have done along the Whole way ? you are amazing

do you do a lot of work-out or trekking or sports ..?

Last edited:

KittyKatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat low carbs. I have cheated occasionally with potatoes or bread but absolutely no chocolate or biscuits for over two years. (I used to scoff whole birthday chocolate cakes from the supermarket :hungover: but have absolutely no interest in them now) I cook my meals from scratch, nothing processed. Just meat, vegetables, butter, cheese, eggs and nuts. If I make cauli or broccoli cheese I used ground almonds instead of flour. I drink water, diet coke/diet pepsi or full-cream coffee.
Exercise is walking, nothing more :)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat low carbs. I have cheated occasionally with potatoes or bread but absolutely no chocolate or biscuits for over two years. (I used to scoff whole birthday chocolate cakes from the supermarket :hungover: but have absolutely no interest in them now) I cook my meals from scratch, nothing processed. Just meat, vegetables, butter, cheese, eggs and nuts. If I make cauli or broccoli cheese I used ground almonds instead of flour. I drink water, diet coke/diet pepsi or full-cream coffee.

amazing am so happy for you <3

Reactions: coby

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Wow! You are amazing and so disciplined too

Reactions: Prem51 and Freema

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
That's what I'm aiming for - being able to say that I don't need any medication to control my blood sugars. As you say, discipline is the key - recognise you have been given a warning for the abuse you have put your body under - it told you it couldn't cope any more, and you dealt with it. Low carbs are the answer (and isn't it amazing being able to have cream when we have been told by the diet industry that it is bad for you?!). I love flavoured water too - couldn't go back to full sugar coke - yuk!

I'm a walker too, have changed my work hours so that I can get at least half an hour in every day.

You are an inspiration to those of us who are still on the journey.

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes. I saw my GP today for my now annual hba1c results. They remain at 31. They have been 31 at the last five or so tests in the 18 months. He seemed amazed, even baffled.

I told him I was mostly low carbs but occasionally had bread and potatoes. He told me "whatever it is you're going, it's working. I've never seen anything quite like it before." (really?)

He suggested I return in two years for another blood test.

But I have no plans to ever have cake, chocolate or biscuit again. I'm glad to have been free of their toxins for the past two years:)

Ironically I'm now worried that without the fear of diabetic complications, I might not keep to a strict diet and put on weight again. Crazy, I know.
That's amazing. Congratulations. Very well done.

Jbicheno

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done you. From what you have said I am doing very similar to you and have lost over 4 stone and dropped 3 dress sizes. I test my blood regularly and it is always within NHS 'normal' range. Hopefully that will be reflected in my next HBA1C (my 2nd since diagnosis around 6 months ago). You are an inspiration.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done you. From what you have said I am doing very similar to you and have lost over 4 stone and dropped 3 dress sizes. I test my blood regularly and it is always within NHS 'normal' range. Hopefully that will be reflected in my next HBA1C (my 2nd since diagnosis around 6 months ago). You are an inspiration.
And so are you :) Well done. Keep posting :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@KittyKatty very well done. Keep posting, that should make sure you stay on the straight and narrow. Your GP probably hasn't seen anything like it as most people follow the official guidelines to eat carbs with every meal.

Reactions: Freema

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are not diabetic now, you never were (although the 8.9 A1c would indicate that you are). There is no cure. More tests are needed to give you a proper diagnosis. It sounds like you simply discovered your diabetes in the very early stages and have controlled it with the meds and lifestyle changes
I agree in the case of T1, but it is entirely possible to reverse T2 with a lot of hard work and perseverance, which is what the OP has done.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is amazing , so congratulations . Its a journey I hope to complete myself - including the dress sizes ( two down so far)

I do have one question though. If you have dropped five dress sizes and got rid of all medications you probably look and feel fantastic and better than you have done in years. Why do you even care how foods that were toxic to you behave now?. Surely even if the answer is you " could " eat them because you are " cured" - why would you want to open yourself up to the temptation of finding you can then eating more of them? even if you are free from diabetes, isn't that a potential path to the dress sizes expanding again?

If it were me I think I would leave them well alone. The carb cravings were the downfall for many of us. It sounds to me similar to a recovered alcoholic saying now I managed for five year without - one small drink won't hurt. So if you feel you must test to make sure you are fully recovered, please don't forget its just a test and then leave them in the garbage can again.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Apologies for repeating myself, it is not my intention to put the dampeners on anybody's hard work but the fact remains, if you can eat 250 gms of carbohydrate each and every day without your BG going bonkers then you are indeed probably not diabetic. However, a lot of us will have to watch our carb intake for ever and no matter what medication we take.

Bit like dieting really, people will eat less than their BMR (which in turn will be less than what they were eating), lose weight (hopefully, not always clear cut) and then go back to their old habits and back goes the weight.