Who would have believed this was possible?

PoppyPetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you again for all your kind comments. I have been away for the week end and had great time. I allowed myself two glasses of wine to celebrate as for once I didn't have to drive ! Ate lots of fish and salads so all good there. Coby I guess you make a very good point about adding in the one hour test too. I didn't but other people may find it helpful. With my results it doesn't look like I had a problem with spiking because of the overall results but as you say it may well show some unwanted surprises. Thank you all again. I am so optimistic for the future. Newbies please, please listen to what these people on the forum say and take heart as you really can do this too. CheryAA I hope you manage the same results in November too. Please post as soon as you receive them!

A

asparagusp

I too am very pleased for you! Well done! Can I just ask whether your fat includes animal fats and what were your lipid readings?.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PoppyPetal ... I did the same as you ... tested a meal the same way and thought it was okay UNTIL someone suggested testing after ONE hour as well as two. I then found that I spiked high at one hour and hadn't had a clue this was happening. I'm back down by just under the two hours so just thought the foods were fine to have but I was wrong.
Many say testing after one hour is to soon we will always spike a certain amount after an hour even a non diabetic can have quite a high spike an hour from eating it is normal

PoppyPetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Asparagusp,

I hadn't actually had the time to check present and past results on this but they are as follows:
Trigs were 1.5 g/L or 1.77mmol/L now 1.4g/L or 1.69mmol/L so slightly down
Total cholesterol was 1.87g/L or or 4.84mmol/L now 1.92 g/L or 4.97 mol/L so that is slightly up.
LDL has gone from 0.95g/L or 2.45 mol/L to 1.20g/L or 3.10 mmol/L so that's not so good.
HDL has gone from 0.61g/L or 1.58 mol/L down to 0.42 g/L or 1.09mmolL so that's not good either.

Yes, I have been eating animal fats like belly pork, lamb casserole, mince and occasionally an odd packet of pork scratching. Is there anyone that can give me any advice on this? Would it maybe help to stick to nuts as snacks and cut out some of the animal fat? Any suggestions or advice on this might be helpful as these figures are in the wrong direction....

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Many say testing after one hour is to soon we will always spike a certain amount after an hour even a non diabetic can have quite a high spike an hour from eating it is normal
Ohhh !!! So are you saying that I should ignore the one hour spikes then? They are very high

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you again for all your kind comments. I have been away for the week end and had great time. I allowed myself two glasses of wine to celebrate as for once I didn't have to drive ! Ate lots of fish and salads so all good there. Coby I guess you make a very good point about adding in the one hour test too. I didn't but other people may find it helpful. With my results it doesn't look like I had a problem with spiking because of the overall results but as you say it may well show some unwanted surprises. Thank you all again. I am so optimistic for the future. Newbies please, please listen to what these people on the forum say and take heart as you really can do this too. CheryAA I hope you manage the same results in November too. Please post as soon as you receive them!

I have every intention of doing! lets hope its as good as yours :)

Reactions: Prem51

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Actually, non-diabetics rarely go above around 7.8, and most stay at 6.6 or below.

I allow myself to go to 7.8 - but I only know that if I test at an hours (typically the peak).

Reactions: Prem51 and kokhongw

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ohhh !!! So are you saying that I should ignore the one hour spikes then? They are very high
It's your choice, but personally - I would not ignore them. Spikes can damage internal organs - particularly if they happen nearly every meal.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@PoppyPetal Amazing reduction in HbA1c Well done and hope you can keep it that low, or thereabouts.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If your hour spikes are very high they are causing damage and I would not ignore them. Yes everyone has a spike at an hour but if you are eating foods that are correct for you the spikes will not be very high. Low carb foods will not have huge spikes, that is the whole point of eating low carb.

Reactions: coby

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
How can we not spike after food? If you are a type 2 the primary insulin response is shot. The secondary insulin response mops everything up if you maintain a diet that doesn't need very high insulin levels to deal with it.
Of course, after some time following a sensible diabetic diet the liver learns not to panic, and overall BGs come right down.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I might be in the minority here, but my advice is to adjust your diet so that your 1 hour level is never higher than 7.8. I'm probably biased though as that's the target I set for myself after reading this article:

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045678.php

I don't always get it right, of course, but I've adjusted my carbs over time to try for that most of the time and mostly I succeed. Depends on what you find realistic for your own situation.

Reactions: kokhongw and Prem51

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I might be in the minority here, but my advice is to adjust your diet so that your 1 hour level is never higher than 7.8. I'm probably biased though as that's the target I set for myself after reading this article:

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045678.php

I don't always get it right, of course, but I've adjusted my carbs over time to try for that most of the time and mostly I succeed. Depends on what you find realistic for your own situation.
I don't think you are necessarily in the minority. I try my best not to go above 7.8 as well. I actually prefer not to go above 7 for the most part but still do in the morning sometimes as I have killer DP. I see a lot of people on this forum who advise newbies to test at 2 hours only and I think they are missing the point somewhat. The spike is much closer to the 1 hour mark. I fell into a chinese takeout once, started at 5.8, at 1 hour I was 11 :wideyed:, and at 2 hours I was back to 5.8. If I had only tested at 2 hours I would have assumed this food was good for me to eat. I would have been very very wrong. The same people who only ever test at 2 hours often wonder why their A1c is higher than expected. This is why.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think you are necessarily in the minority. I try my best not to go above 7.8 as well. I actually prefer not to go above 7 for the most part but still do in the morning sometimes as I have killer DP. I see a lot of people on this forum who advise newbies to test at 2 hours only and I think they are missing the point somewhat. The spike is much closer to the 1 hour mark. I fell into a chinese takeout once, started at 5.8, at 1 hour I was 11 :wideyed:, and at 2 hours I was back to 5.8. If I had only tested at 2 hours I would have assumed this food was good for me to eat. I would have been very very wrong. The same people who only ever test at 2 hours often wonder why their A1c is higher than expected. This is why.
One of the best pieces of advice I ran across on Alan S's blog when I was first diagnosed was an outline on testing by Dr Lois Jovanovic: "Have patients determine the best time for postprandial SMBG by testing 45, 60, 75, 90, 105, and 120 minutes after a meal to detect their peak postprandial glucose concentration."

Do it once and then you know what the likely time for most peaks after your meals will be, though of course it will be somewhat variable depending on the macronutrient ratios of the meal.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
This is EXACTLY what was happening with me chalup! I thought (smugly) that I had mastered it ... as my levels are ALWAYS in the normal range at two hours ... even 15 minutes before the two hours! Someone suggested testing at 1 hour and that's what 'opened my eyes' as my readings are from 9.1 up to 11.1 at that stage!!!

paganlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
nhs. religion for the sake of it.
Fantastic! Well done!