No testing

Kevin10320

Hi all
I was diagnosed with diabetes around a month ago after feeling poorly for many months. I didn't present with the usual symptoms, I am a 39 year old man with a 26 bmi and my blood pressure is perfect. There was even a question about whether I was type 1 or type 2. I was told I didn't need to test my sugars but I don't actually know whether I am high or low when I am feeling poorly, I have tried to lower my carbohydrates and increase my fruit and veg but I still feel awful. I just don't feel I can help myself without knowing what lowers my blood sugars? I am waiting on blood results to confirm whether I am type 2 (although the doctor feels it probably is). Metformin and Metformin MR made me even more poorly so I am now on Linagliptin 5mg. It seems to help some of the time. I have my Desmond course in November so I am hoping this might give me some answers as right now I feel like I am walking blindly. Any thoughts anyone?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes one thought springs immediately to mind Get A Meter and test most T2s here test even though most have to buy a meter and strips as T2s are seldom given meters on prescription

Reactions: Kevin10320

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome @Kevin10320 to a place you would rather not be. I will ask @daisy1 to post the basic information for newly diagnosed, it contains a wealth of information.
It seems those who are not on medication known to cause 'hypos' are told not to test. I strongly advocate testing on a regular basis - If it aint measured, it aint managed - and getting a meter was the single best piece of advice I have ever received regarding my Diabetes

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.

Firstly I will tag @daisy1 who will post some very useful information for newcomers.

Secondly, increasing fruit is not a good idea. Fruit contains sugar. It is natural sugar, but non the less, it is sugar and will raise your blood glucose levels. Tropical fruits tend to be the worst. Berries are the best option if eaten as part of a meal with yogurt or cream, and not as a stand-alone snack.

Increasing the veg is a great plan as long as the veg isn't one of the more starchy types such as many of those that grow underground.

Last but definitely not least, you do need a meter. You can use this to test yourself before you eat and again 2 hours after first bite. This will show you exactly what that meal has done to your levels and allow you to tweak that meal for next time. Most of us are told we don't need to test. That is bad advice. If you don't test out your meals you have no idea which foods affect you. By testing you can eliminate the worst culprits and cut down on others.

Do read round the forums, and if you can't find the answers you want, ask questions.

Kevin10320

Thank you for your reply
I have asked my Doctor and my diabetic Nurse because I just don't know what is good for me and what isn't but they still refused to let me have a testing monitor.
I am my wife's carer (she is wheelchair bound) and we are on benefits so I just cannot afford to buy the machine and accessories. I just feel alone and fed up with feeling so poorly. I am so exhausted that just getting out of bed is sometimes impossible. I just want to get well again. This has been going on since last November as we initially thought that my exhaustion was sleep apnoea related (I was intubated after a car accident which damaged my pharynx which is what caused it and not weight related) and it was only when my sleep clinic requested testing for diabetes that I was diagnosed. Just want to be able to help myself but I feel like no one wants to help me. I also suffer from depression and this is all really lowering my mood.
Hi and welcome @Kevin10320 to a place you would rather not be. I will ask @daisy1 to post the basic information for newly diagnosed, it contains a wealth of information.
It seems those who are not on medication known to cause 'hypos' are told not to test. I strongly advocate testing on a regular basis - If it aint measured, it aint managed - and getting a meter was the single best piece of advice I have ever received regarding my Diabetes

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Oh good lord! They need to revise their ideas, particularly since you are your wife's carer. If you can manage to scrape together £25 you can buy a testing kit from Boots. I don't think that the GP would normally give you one anyway.

Your GP can then put your testing strips and lancets on a repeat prescription. You need to emphasise to your GP that you are your wife's carer though. This usually carries a fair bit of weight with them. If you are not given the tools to manage your condition, then how do they expect you to cope, particularly since its not just yourself that would be impacted by you being ill but also your wife?

Also, you do realise that you will get free prescriptions and free eye tests being diabetic don't you?

Kevin10320

Hi Bluetit, thank you for your reply.
I actually meant I had increased my vegetables (not fruit) and this is non root vegetables. My wife has increased it as part of our diet (her Dad is an insulin dependent diabetic) so she does have some insight. I have lessened the amount of bread, potatoes, rice and pasta and when I do have these, I go for the wholemeal option where possible. I have cut out sugar from my diet and I check all of the food i eat for sugar levels to try and help myself.
I am still feeling poorly and I don't know if it is because I have high or low blood sugars. I have explained this until I am blue in the face but no one wants to listen, it is so frustrating and I suspect this is having am affect on my sugar levels as well.
Hello and welcome.

Firstly I will tag @daisy1 who will post some very useful information for newcomers.

Secondly, increasing fruit is not a good idea. Fruit contains sugar. It is natural sugar, but non the less, it is sugar and will raise your blood glucose levels. Tropical fruits tend to be the worst. Berries are the best option if eaten as part of a meal with yogurt or cream, and not as a stand-alone snack.

Increasing the veg is a great plan as long as the veg isn't one of the more starchy types such as many of those that grow underground.

Last but definitely not least, you do need a meter. You can use this to test yourself before you eat and again 2 hours after first bite. This will show you exactly what that meal has done to your levels and allow you to tweak that meal for next time. Most of us are told we don't need to test. That is bad advice. If you don't test out your meals you have no idea which foods affect you. By testing you can eliminate the worst culprits and cut down on others.

Do read round the forums, and if you can't find the answers you want, ask questions.
Th

Kevin10320

Hi Nicksu, thank you for the welcome and reply. The Diabetic Nurse did say that if I could provide a good enough reason then they would supply a testing monitor but I think it is a cost issue. If the worse happens, my father in law has just been given a new meter and if the doctor would provide lancets, needles etc, then I can have his old monitor (which is a year old) but unless they will prescribe the lancets etc there is no point having it.
I spoke with staff at the diabetic clinic at Addenbrookes hospital and every newly diagnosed diabetic is given a machine. Why is there such a postcode lottery. My head just wants to explode at the moment as I feel like I am fighting in the dark
Oh good lord! They need to revise their ideas, particularly since you are your wife's carer. If you can manage to scrape together £25 you can buy a testing kit from Boots. I don't think that the GP would normally give you one anyway.

Your GP can then put your testing strips and lancets on a repeat prescription. You need to emphasise to your GP that you are your wife's carer though. This usually carries a fair bit of weight with them. If you are not given the tools to manage your condition, then how do they expect you to cope, particularly since its not just yourself that would be impacted by you being ill but also your wife?

Also, you do realise that you will get free prescriptions and free eye tests being diabetic don't you?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many of us here self fund our meter and test strips. The Codefree is the most popular because it has the cheapest test strips available. These are not available in Boots or any other pharmacy, you have to buy them on line. Do ask your doctor if he can prescribe some for you, but don't be shocked if he says no. The Codefree strips are under £6 for 50 if you use the discount codes. Many other brands are £25 or so for 50. So if you buy the meter (you only do this once) you can buy strips according to your pocket.

Try here for the Codefree meter

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/

and don’t forget to declare you are diabetic in order to avoid any VAT.

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

D

debrasue

Hi, @Kevin10320 - welcome to the forum. You have definitely come to the right place and you are NOT alone!
I agree with what other posters have said - getting a meter is essential to managing your diabetes. My GP wouldn't let me have one, either, so I bought my own here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Codefree-G...&qid=1476274147&sr=8-3&keywords=codefree&th=1
This seems to be about the cheapest one on the market at £12.99 but it's perfectly adequate and does the job, which is all you need. The test strips for this meter are cheaper, too.
Then treat yourself and your wife to a full English breakfast - bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, good-quality sausage (i.e. low cereal content) and eggs, maybe add a few stir-fried courgettes, and take your BG readings after the first bite, and then 2 hours after that and see what the result is and how you feel.
Check out the low carb programme on this website, too - it will give you some great ideas on how to manage your diabetes successfully : https://www.diabetes.co.uk/lowcarb/
Good luck with your journey - keep browsing the threads, ask any questions you need to, and keep sharing. You'll soon see those numbers start to fall, and your optimism start to rise!
Big hugs x

Reactions: Serena51 and Snapsy

Kevin10320

Many of us here self fund our meter and test strips. The Codefree is the most popular because it has the cheapest test strips available. These are not available in Boots or any other pharmacy, you have to buy them on line. Do ask your doctor if he can prescribe some for you, but don't be shocked if he says no. The Codefree strips are under £6 for 50 if you use the discount codes. Many other brands are £25 or so for 50. So if you buy the meter (you only do this once) you can buy strips according to your pocket.

5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833
Thank you Bluetit ... really appreciate your help.

Kevin10320

Debrasue, a big thank you for your reply. I will look into the codefree kit and see if I can at least get enough to test when I need too

A

asparagusp

Firstly if you are on benefits then you are entitled to free healthcare including the meter. Speak again with your medics ie tell them you are on benefits.

Secondly I am surprised they have prescribed medication before determining the type of diabetes you have and I don't think you should be taking any at the moment, Would others agree on this?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I actually meant I had increased my vegetables (not fruit) and this is non root vegetables. My wife has increased it as part of our diet (her Dad is an insulin dependent diabetic) so she does have some insight. I have lessened the amount of bread, potatoes, rice and pasta and when I do have these, I go for the wholemeal option where possible. I have cut out sugar from my diet and I check all of the food i eat for sugar levels to try and help myself.
I am still feeling poorly and I don't know if it is because I have high or low blood sugars. I have explained this until I am blue in the face but no one wants to listen, it is so frustrating and I suspect this is having am affect on my sugar levels as well.
Th

Hello Kevin. Welcome to the forum you never wanted to join.

Daisy will be along at some point with a very useful post with a fair amount of information you may find helpful in these early days.

I've been a member here for about 3 years, and sadly, we see fewer and fewer T2s being prescribed testing kit by their doctors, unless they are on hefty meds (Linagliptin isn't considered to be in this arena). It's so annoying and I do completely agree with your feelings of bewilderment and really wanting that feedback when you eat or when you feel "off".

The meters tend to be less of an issue than strips. A meter will last a while (mine is almost 3 years on, and still going strong), but the strips are consumables, so are a repeatable costs.

Responding to you comment about testing when you feel grotty to know whether you are high or low. The stark reality is that as a T2, you are not at huge risk of going properly low, until our bloods improve a bit. I say properly low because as our numbers come down, our bodies object and can give low symptoms.

For now, I think eating and drinking moderately makes sense, and it will be easier to make more considered suggestions once it becomes clear if you ate T1 or T2.

Good luck with it all.

Kevin10320

5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833
Thank you ... I will have a look and see whether we can scrap the money together. I am going to ask my doctor at my next visit if he will provide lancets and test strips if I get my own machine and see what he says. I won't hold my breath but I can but ask. Failing that, I will get the codefree somehow. Many thanks again

Reactions: doc007 and Freema

Kevin10320

Hello Kevin. Welcome to the forum you never wanted to join.

Daisy will be along at some point with a very useful post with a fair amount of information you may find helpful in these early days.

I've been a member here for about 3 years, and sadly, we see fewer and fewer T2s being prescribed testing kit by their doctors, unless they are on hefty meds (Linagliptin isn't considered to be in this arena). It's so annoying and I do completely agree with your feelings of bewilderment and really wanting that feedback when you eat or when you feel "off".

The meters tend to be less of an issue than strips. A meter will last a while (mine is almost 3 years on, and still going strong), but the strips are consumables, so are a repeatable costs.

Responding to you comment about testing when you feel grotty to know whether you are high or low. The stark reality is that as a T2, you are not at huge risk of going properly low, until our bloods improve a bit. I say properly low because as our numbers come down, our bodies object and can give low symptoms.

For now, I think eating and drinking moderately makes sense, and it will be easier to make more considered suggestions once it becomes clear if you ate T1 or T2.

Good luck with it all.
Thank you ☺

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Th

welcome here Kevin10320

I think you should ask to see a psychiatrist its a doctor too in both Medical illnessees and physical ones... then maybe something will happen... it is very often that diabetics also get depressions ... and you need som help and support so that you can cope with your life and feel okay again....

Reactions: Kevin10320

Kevin10320

welcome here Kevin10320

I think you should ask to see a psychiatrist its a doctor too in both Medical illnessees and physical ones... then maybe something will happen... it is very often that diabetics also get depressions ... and you need som help and support so that you can cope with your life and feel okay again....
Thank you Freema, if I do not get any help with this then I will got go down the not coping route
I have suffered from chronic depression since being involved in a horrific car accident in 1997 where I sustained a serious head injury. Since then I am anxious by nature. I just don't think the healthcare professionals are taking my diabetes seriously. The doctor has said I am quite young to have type 2 (if indeed it is type 2) and that diabetes is a progressive disease and I want to slow it down as much as humanly possible.