No testing

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
Thank you ... I have now got a machine and will be testing a couple of times a day.
Thank you for your response ☺

Well done Kevin, you have taken a big step towards controlling your health. Welcome to the forum btw, use it, lose hours (maybe days) reading posts and articles. The advice here is amazing and I know the people here were instrumental in me controlling my diabetes. You can control your diabetes, don't let it control you. Kevin, we are all with you.

Kevin10320

Well done Kevin, you have taken a big step towards controlling your health. Welcome to the forum btw, use it, lose hours (maybe days) reading posts and articles. The advice here is amazing and I know the people here were instrumental in me controlling my diabetes. You can control your diabetes, don't let it control you. Kevin, we are all with you.
Thank you Kate ☺

Kevin10320

Well, I just had my second appointment with my diabetic Nurse and it was a much more positive experience. Firstly, I have now been given a free machine with lancets and test strips on repeat (I had borrowed a spare machine from my father in law as he has just been given a new one but am happy to say I won't need it now).
The reason behind this is that I had already changed my diet a great deal when my wife started a special weight loss programme at the obesity clinic at Addenbrookes. As I had gained a couple of stone (as I felt absolutely terrible for so long prior to diagnosis) I decided to adapt my diet to similar to what my wife was eating. Cut out all sweet foods such as cakes, biscuits, had cut my portion sizes, increased vegetables (not of the root variety but all others), limiting carbs and where I could changing the carbs I have to wholemeal and as a result, I had lost the 2 stone I had gained even before diagnosis. I went through diet with the nurse on this visit and she agreed that all of the obvious foods that would send my sugar skywards have been addressed. She decided that I should test each morning so as I could eliminate foods. Feeling so much more comfortable about it all now. Thank you so much for all the help and advice, I really do appreciate it ☺

Reactions: Liam1955

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
So pleased at your good news! It'll make it so much easier to lose weight with the 2 of you doing the diet. Glad the docs and nurses are listening to you.

Kevin10320

So pleased at your good news! It'll make it so much easier to lose weight with the 2 of you doing the diet. Glad the docs and nurses are listening to you.
Thank you Nicksu ☺
My wife has lost over 5 stone and myself 2 stone and we have the healthiest basket in the supermarket now ☺

Reactions: Serena51

Kevin10320

A doctor has to prescribe something before it becomes free. If a doctor does not prescribe a meter, you cannot get one for free, whether on benefits or not. If a doctor decides you need to test, he may give you a meter and prescribe test strips, which would then be free. Meter manufacturers give GPs a load of meters to hand out for free, and the GP may give you one of these, but you will be a lucky man if he puts the test strips on prescription. No harm in asking though.
Was so shocked when I didn't even have to ask for the test strips to be put on repeat prescription, I was just given them. I think my sugar levels are currently on the high side (12.3 this morning but that was my fault as I had 2 cookies yesterday!). They only want me to test once a day in the morning but at least I can now monitor ☺

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was so shocked when I didn't even have to ask for the test strips to be put on repeat prescription, I was just given them. I think my sugar levels are currently on the high side (12.3 this morning but that was my fault as I had 2 cookies yesterday!). They only want me to test once a day in the morning but at least I can now monitor ☺

To be honest, Kevin, testing once a day is better than nothing, but to learn most, most quickly, an intensive programmes of testing before and after every meal would be a significant advantage. Doing that you can learn how your body reacts to the food you like to eat.

The tricky thing about this condition is that it impacts everyone differently. OK, there are common trends where lots find that bread, or breakfast cereal or potato, or rice (and of course all the obviously sugary things) impacts them, but some finds they're ok with something unexpected. For example, I have always been able to eat rice without too many issues, and @Brunneria finds she can handle some sweet things better than foods containing wheat (I think). For ma, that personal information is important. Who wants to shun foods they enjoy if they don't have to?

It may be that you don't have enough strips to do that, but if that's the case, it really would still be worthwhile perhaps testing breakfast one day, lunch the next and dinner the day after, and back around again.

The fasting number is just a stab in the day, and many have found the figure which can least reflect their overall control.

Reactions: callyandy

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with AndBreathe that the time to test individual foods to see how they work for YOU is to test more regularly than once a day.

The general advice is to test before eating, then 2 hours after. If the blood glucose level has risen more than 2mmol/l in that time, then something you ate was too carby. There are several options - avoid the food completely, reduce the portion size, or swap the ingredients for things that are more blood glucose friendly.

If you just test once a day, it is a bit like pinning the tail on a donkey since blood glucose can rise and drop steeply in an hour.

Are you getting free prescriptions? The reason I ask, is that there are a lot of different prices for the blood glucose meter test strips. Many of us on here use the cheapest ones we can find and so far, I think the SD Codefree is the best deal. I can buy a pot of test strips for about £7 with free P&P which is actually less than the cost of paying for a prescription (if you pay for them, as I do). You can get discounts for multiple purchases. I find that a very compelling argument for buying my own, using them whenever I want, and not having the hassle of submitting repeat prescription requests and running backwards and forwards to the surgery and the pharmacy. Any meter will tell you the info you need, the trick is to find one at the price you can afford to use often enough to get the info you need.

Sorry if this sounds like a product placement ;) but really, it kind of is. I think that we T2s do best if we Eat to Our Meter (avoid foods that our meter identifies are bad for us), and the only way to do that is by extensive testing. Once we have done that, and know how our body reacts to our food choices, and we have tailor made our diet to suit ourselves, then testing becomes much less important, and a daily or even less often check becomes all that is necessary.

Hope that helps. :)

Reactions: KateA and Serena51

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Kevin 10320, I'm quite new to type 2 as well, and waiting for my meter to come in the post. I can't add much more that what has already been said., but as you are cutting your carbs, please remember to raise you healthy fat consumption.

We're also on a fairly tight budget, but I've found that having cut the sweets and treats, my shopping bill actually comes out about the same as before. It's true that the fats fill you up so snacking isn't an issue.

The low carb programme is very good and all the support there and here really helpful.

Also try http://cronometer.com to help you count your carb intake. It's all in american, so you have to be a bit creative with your food description, but the tool does all your counting for you.

You've had and continue to have a really hard time,:grumpy: we can't promise it will get easier, but there are some great stories of success here, and people are so generous with their advice and support. Hang in there. It's early days.

Cally:)

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My ancient machine has just caught up with the last 2 pages of your forum. So my message might not be appropriate to you so much now. However, the love and hugs it was sent with still apply:D Hahaha

Kevin10320

I agree with AndBreathe that the time to test individual foods to see how they work for YOU is to test more regularly than once a day.

The general advice is to test before eating, then 2 hours after. If the blood glucose level has risen more than 2mmol/l in that time, then something you ate was too carby. There are several options - avoid the food completely, reduce the portion size, or swap the ingredients for things that are more blood glucose friendly.

If you just test once a day, it is a bit like pinning the tail on a donkey since blood glucose can rise and drop steeply in an hour.

Are you getting free prescriptions? The reason I ask, is that there are a lot of different prices for the blood glucose meter test strips. Many of us on here use the cheapest ones we can find and so far, I think the SD Codefree is the best deal. I can buy a pot of test strips for about £7 with free P&P which is actually less than the cost of paying for a prescription (if you pay for them, as I do). You can get discounts for multiple purchases. I find that a very compelling argument for buying my own, using them whenever I want, and not having the hassle of submitting repeat prescription requests and running backwards and forwards to the surgery and the pharmacy. Any meter will tell you the info you need, the trick is to find one at the price you can afford to use often enough to get the info you need.

Sorry if this sounds like a product placement ;) but really, it kind of is. I think that we T2s do best if we Eat to Our Meter (avoid foods that our meter identifies are bad for us), and the only way to do that is by extensive testing. Once we have done that, and know how our body reacts to our food choices, and we have tailor made our diet to suit ourselves, then testing becomes much less important, and a daily or even less often check becomes all that is necessary.

To be honest, Kevin, testing once a day is better than nothing, but to learn most, most quickly, an intensive programmes of testing before and after every meal would be a significant advantage. Doing that you can learn how your body reacts to the food you like to eat.

The tricky thing about this condition is that it impacts everyone differently. OK, there are common trends where lots find that bread, or breakfast cereal or potato, or rice (and of course all the obviously sugary things) impacts them, but some finds they're ok with something unexpected. For example, I have always been able to eat rice without too many issues, and @Brunneria finds she can handle some sweet things better than foods containing wheat (I think). For ma, that personal information is important. Who wants to shun foods they enjoy if they don't have to?

It may be that you don't have enough strips to do that, but if that's the case, it really would still be worthwhile perhaps testing breakfast one day, lunch the next and dinner the day after, and back around again.

The fasting number is just a stab in the day, and many have found the figure which can least reflect their overall control.

Thank you ... this makes sense. I don't know how many strips will go on prescription as the doctor is sorting out the repeat later this week. Right from the moment of diagnosis, I wanted to know what foods were better for me. At least I can start to get a clearer understanding now ☺ Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it.

Kevin10320

It certainly does help ☺ Thank you for taking the time to reply ☺ Much food for thought ... Once I know how many teststrips I will get on prescription then I can do an action plan ☺ I will get some control over this even if I have to buy additional teststrips ☺

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi

May I ask though what the GP or nurse has done to confirm T1 or T2. As you say you put weight on I would guess at T2, but just wondering whether they did any further blood tests to confirm your type?

Testing before and after meals is important and without this limitting to 1 test per day is useless.

Addenbrookes has very knowledgeable and caring dietitians/nurses and consultants for diabetes and obesity. Very glad to hear that both you and your wife have lost so much. A huge round of applause to you both for your achievements.

Cambridge & Peterborough CCG which Addenbrookes comes under is hugely in deficit and huge debts. They have already warned of cuts to GP money and services. Currently Addenbrookes have improved from being in special measures so its good to hear you have benefitted from their care. Unfortunately when I was there recently I saw very many amputatees and leg problem patients and a lot of patients on mobility scooters/wheelchairs. This may well be from lack of meters at GPs and patients not testing etc..

Kevin10320

Hi there,
In answer to your question about confirming type of diabetes, my GP asked for various blood tests to be taken (which he had to hand write on the form and couldn't be send electronically to the hospital) and sadly the only tests that were done were the electronic ones, they didn't even read the form when taking my blood and I just assumed they had done the tests requested! Wrong again . The results of the tests they did do have come back with no real surprises. I haven't been able to see my doctor since so at the moment, we are assuming type 2 for now. I am not actually under Addenbrookes for my diabetes as we live in Suffolk, only my wife goes there to the obesity clinic (they don't have these services in Suffolk unfortunately).
My doctor and nurse did originally say no testing at all, so for me, getting the machine and a supply of lancets and test strips was a break through ... I will work on them in regards to more testing ☺
It is a sad state of affairs that people are suffering due to lack of funding for testing etc ... but it is the story of our NHS right now.
I am very lucky to have got a machine, I think the main reason is because I am my wife's carer and if I am poorly then there is no one to look after my wife.
When I see my doctor again I will ask the question of whether the blood tests need to be done or whether he is sure I am type 2.
And thank you ... we are both very proud of our achievement of losing the weight we have. We are continuing to lose although my BMI is around 26-28 mark, not sure of the exact figure ☺

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Well I am glad that you got your referral to Addenbrookes. Very glad to hear of weightloss as so often the help NHS gives ref diets comes under fire. So you are both to me winning double prizes. So, so well done.

I know for myself that it is a postcode lottery.

Normally the GPs are pro active to keep carers healthy as it saves the govt a lot of money!! I was surprised that your healthcare professionals were iniatally letting you down.

It is good that you can use your weight loss as proof of your determinations to look after yourself and you can easily say that you are taking the same keen determination to manage your diabetes and to do your best to avoid complications that diabetics can get. They shoud stand up and fall over themselves to help you if you state that you know the levels you should be achieving, know that blood rises after food and that you want to test yourself after food to find out which foods if any affect your bloods and then to cut them out.

Really pleased for you but now will bethe time that you need to stand your ground, grow your knowledge and see if you can get your health professionals to take a genuine interest to help you look after your wife...

stozza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing really!
Hi all
I was diagnosed with diabetes around a month ago after feeling poorly for many months. I didn't present with the usual symptoms, I am a 39 year old man with a 26 bmi and my blood pressure is perfect. There was even a question about whether I was type 1 or type 2. I was told I didn't need to test my sugars but I don't actually know whether I am high or low when I am feeling poorly, I have tried to lower my carbohydrates and increase my fruit and veg but I still feel awful. I just don't feel I can help myself without knowing what lowers my blood sugars? I am waiting on blood results to confirm whether I am type 2 (although the doctor feels it probably is). Metformin and Metformin MR made me even more poorly so I am now on Linagliptin 5mg. It seems to help some of the time. I have my Desmond course in November so I am hoping this might give me some answers as right now I feel like I am walking blindly. Any thoughts anyone?
I can't honestly understand why doctors go down t.he 'no testing' route, of course you should test, how do you know what foods spike you or not, no one is the same, potatoes, pasta, rice and bread are the obvious ones but some fruit and veg spike you too, until you test you will never know? I have two code free meters bought from eBay, very reasonably priced and the strips are inexpensive too and come in pots of 50, have a look!

stozza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing really!
Hi Bluetit, thank you for your reply.
I actually meant I had increased my vegetables (not fruit) and this is non root vegetables. My wife has increased it as part of our diet (her Dad is an insulin dependent diabetic) so she does have some insight. I have lessened the amount of bread, potatoes, rice and pasta and when I do have these, I go for the wholemeal option where possible. I have cut out sugar from my diet and I check all of the food i eat for sugar levels to try and help myself.
I am still feeling poorly and I don't know if it is because I have high or low blood sugars. I have explained this until I am blue in the face but no one wants to listen, it is so frustrating and I suspect this is having am affect on my sugar levels as well.
Th
Hi Kevin, count carbs not sugars, the lower the carb content the better!

Kevin10320

I do now have a machine and test strips but have been told to test once a day ... I am doing it more often and if I have to, will buy additional teststrips if the doc won't give them to me. Once I have some idea of which foods do what, then I will test less luckily the machine I have has relatively cheap test strips thank you for taking the time to message me

Reactions: Indy51