BMI chart

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
bmi-chart.png
I wanted to make this BMI chart easily available to all
Healthy-weight-chart.html

Reactions: Prem51

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Where are you at and are you happy there?
Rules are:
1. Comment about your own BMI only in your post.
2. Written reply to someone else's post in this thread only if they ask for a response.
3. Base any requested replies on health and science, and diabetes control not aesthetics.

Last edited:

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I will start: I am at the top of 29 today. I would like to be at 28 next. I feel a little bloated a lot of the time but I am also fearful of getting too thin.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My BMI is 24 or so, close to the top of the healthy range. I find it impossible to budge at the moment, though was around 4kgs lighter last year. However, ended up with a very boney and uncomfortable butt. Being that slim made sitting very uncomfortable. Even when overweight, my butt isn't that well padded so it's a balancing act. I wish there was some way of transferring the fat from my belly to my butt ... without plastic surgery that is :D

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I,m 20, good BG stability. Was 33 5 years ago...happy days:)

Reactions: Prem51 and SWUSA_

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 20785 I wanted to make this BMI chart easily available to all
Healthy-weight-chart.html

Well it seems only the very small can be morbidly obese I went over the 40 in that scale an Got diabetes too ,no I hated to be that fat it was handicapping me and I couldn't hardly move and a lot of other normal things. Sad I had to become diabetic before understanding that I had better go hungry for half a year to get lean again, low fat food certainly never helped anyways... but low calories and very few carbs did the job... now I am 33 on the scale and still going downwards

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51 and SWUSA_

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
If you do not fall within the chart ranges then you can use one of the formulas below
to calculate your BMI :

English BMI Formula

BMI = ( Weight in Pounds / ( Height in inches x Height in inches ) ) x 703
or
Metric BMI Formula
BMI = ( Weight in Kilograms / ( Height in Meters x Height in Meters ) )
or
South Africa
BMI= (Weight in Kilograms/Height in Metres)/ Height in metres

Last edited:

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
BMI Weight categories

BMI Weight Category

Less than 18.5 Underweight
18.5 to 24.9 Healthy weight
25 to 30 Overweight
30 to 35 Obese
35 to 40 Severely Obese
40 and over Morbidly Obese
It is important to note that it is not a completely accurate calculation as body composition differs between individuals. It doesn’t take into account body fat levels or the percentage of muscle to fat.

It has been designed as a general guide for adults.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Apparently I'm undertall...
I have posted the formulas if you need them in the thread just above this post. Sorry I did not provide it in the first post. I had not noticed how limited the height choices were on the chart.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not even on the chart even after loosing 6 1/2 stone...apparently no-one over 6 foot tall can be obese...

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm 22 but I'm not happy with my body shape at all, my body fat percentage is too high which in my opinion matters much more than bmi

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
19.5. Very tall, very slim, very broad-shouldered female.

Happy to be in the healthy range but deeply conflicted in that I don't feel my body is strong enough to accomplish what I want it to, yet I'm fearful of adding weight but needing to gain some.

Unhappy with shape but very happy with my blood glucose control.

:confused:

Reactions: SWUSA_ and Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My BMI is currently 22, midway in the 'healthy' range. I am happy with that, but I still have about half an inch more around my waist than I would like. Ideally your waist measurement (measured at navel level) should not be more than half your height.
My waist measurement is 34" and my height is 67", so I need to lose the slab of fat around my navel, which is proving difficult to shift.

For anyone who doesn't know their BMI, you can calculate it with the NHS BMI calculator:
www.nhs.uk/tools/pages/healthyweightcalculator.aspx

Last edited:
Reactions: SWUSA_

Dark Horse

My BMI is 24 or so, close to the top of the healthy range. I find it impossible to budge at the moment, though was around 4kgs lighter last year. However, ended up with a very boney and uncomfortable butt. Being that slim made sitting very uncomfortable. Even when overweight, my butt isn't that well padded so it's a balancing act. I wish there was some way of transferring the fat from my belly to my butt ... without plastic surgery that is :D
Have you tried progressive resistance training for gluteal muscles, e.g. doing squats or lunges and gradually increasing the repetitions and/or weight? Perhaps additional muscle would compensate for the reduced fat.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My BMI is now about 20.5 down from 25 at diagnosis and I'm sure that has really helped with my blood sugar control, I had gone down to 19.6 but my GP wanted it above 20 as some blood tests were showing a possibility of being malnourished. I still have control but I'm scared of putting any more weight back on. Happy with my BMI though I did like it when it was at it's lowest.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
22 (5ft 1": 117lbs) substantial glute and quads - just ran 11.4km in 70mins (including time spent not getting run over and checking blood sugar at 5k) if my BMI can get me there, I don't much care what colour it is :)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried progressive resistance training for gluteal muscles, e.g. doing squats or lunges and gradually increasing the repetitions and/or weight? Perhaps additional muscle would compensate for the reduced fat.
You're right but having just reached OAP age, high intensity types of exercise are not particularly appealing. With long term hip and back issues, fear of injury is also an issue.

If I was a lot younger, I'd probably be more enthused about it, but at my age, I do what I can and that I know I'll persist with - walking. At various times, I've started various exercise regimes, but my enthusiasm tends to wane very quickly. Walking outdoors is one activity I love and it's the only one that I've managed to do long term.

Resistance training and HIIT are both things I tell myself I "should" do, but rarely manage to commit to :(

Dark Horse

You're right but having just reached OAP age, high intensity types of exercise are not particularly appealing. With long term hip and back issues, fear of injury is also an issue.

If I was a lot younger, I'd probably be more enthused about it, but at my age, I do what I can and that I know I'll persist with - walking. At various times, I've started various exercise regimes, but my enthusiasm tends to wane very quickly. Walking outdoors is one activity I love and it's the only one that I've managed to do long term.

Resistance training and HIIT are both things I tell myself I "should" do, but rarely manage to commit to :(
I think you're right to be cautious - you don't want to injure yourself so you can't continue with the things you are already doing. The secret is to start really easy and progress really slowly. The great thing about resistance training is that it doesn't take long and only has to be done 2-3 times a week. If you focused on glutes you could get the whole thing done in 10 minutes a week. There 's a helpful page here:- http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/Pages/strength-exercises-for-older-people.aspx

Reactions: SWUSA_

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm not even on the chart even after loosing 6 1/2 stone...apparently no-one over 6 foot tall can be obese...
See the formulas posted above to calculate BMIs not on the chart and then use the categories to class your BMI. It is possible to be obese at any height but you have to try harder when you are over 6 feet tall because the weight is spread out over a longer distance on your body. I am jealous at just over 5 ft 6 inches.