1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

BMI chart

Discussion in 'Weight Loss and Dieting' started by SWUSA_, Oct 22, 2016.

1. SWUSA_

SWUSA_ Type 2 · Well-Known Member

bmi-chart.png I wanted to make this BMI chart easily available to all[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. SWUSA_

Where are you at and are you happy there?
    Rules are:
    1. Comment about your own BMI only in your post.
    2. Written reply to someone else's post in this thread only if they ask for a response.
    3. Base any requested replies on health and science, and diabetes control not aesthetics.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
    #2 SWUSA_, Oct 22, 2016 at 2:53 AM
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  3. SWUSA_

I will start: I am at the top of 29 today. I would like to be at 28 next. I feel a little bloated a lot of the time but I am also fearful of getting too thin.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

My BMI is 24 or so, close to the top of the healthy range. I find it impossible to budge at the moment, though was around 4kgs lighter last year. However, ended up with a very boney and uncomfortable butt. Being that slim made sitting very uncomfortable. Even when overweight, my butt isn't that well padded so it's a balancing act. I wish there was some way of transferring the fat from my belly to my butt ... without plastic surgery that is :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. KevinPotts

KevinPotts Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I,m 20, good BG stability. Was 33 5 years ago...happy days:)

• Like Like x 2
  6. CapnGrumpy

CapnGrumpy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Apparently I'm undertall...

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  7. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

Well it seems only the very small can be morbidly obese I went over the 40 in that scale an Got diabetes too ,no I hated to be that fat it was handicapping me and I couldn't hardly move and a lot of other normal things. Sad I had to become diabetic before understanding that I had better go hungry for half a year to get lean again, low fat food certainly never helped anyways... but low calories and very few carbs did the job... now I am 33 on the scale and still going downwards

• Like Like x 2
    #7 Freema, Oct 22, 2016 at 6:24 AM
  8. SWUSA_

If you do not fall within the chart ranges then you can use one of the formulas below
    to calculate your BMI :

English BMI Formula

BMI = ( Weight in Pounds / ( Height in inches x Height in inches ) ) x 703
    or
    Metric BMI Formula
    BMI = ( Weight in Kilograms / ( Height in Meters x Height in Meters ) )
    or
    South Africa
    BMI= (Weight in Kilograms/Height in Metres)/ Height in metres

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #8 SWUSA_, Oct 22, 2016 at 8:07 AM
  9. SWUSA_

BMI Weight categories

BMI Weight Category

Less than 18.5 Underweight
    18.5 to 24.9 Healthy weight
    25 to 30 Overweight
    30 to 35 Obese
    35 to 40 Severely Obese
    40 and over Morbidly Obese
    It is important to note that it is not a completely accurate calculation as body composition differs between individuals. It doesn’t take into account body fat levels or the percentage of muscle to fat.

It has been designed as a general guide for adults.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SWUSA_

I have posted the formulas if you need them in the thread just above this post. Sorry I did not provide it in the first post. I had not noticed how limited the height choices were on the chart.

• Like Like x 1
  11. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

I'm not even on the chart even after loosing 6 1/2 stone...apparently no-one over 6 foot tall can be obese...

• Like Like x 1
  12. shivles

shivles · Well-Known Member

I'm 22 but I'm not happy with my body shape at all, my body fat percentage is too high which in my opinion matters much more than bmi

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Snapsy

Snapsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

19.5. Very tall, very slim, very broad-shouldered female.

Happy to be in the healthy range but deeply conflicted in that I don't feel my body is strong enough to accomplish what I want it to, yet I'm fearful of adding weight but needing to gain some.

Unhappy with shape but very happy with my blood glucose control.

:confused:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

My BMI is currently 22, midway in the 'healthy' range. I am happy with that, but I still have about half an inch more around my waist than I would like. Ideally your waist measurement (measured at navel level) should not be more than half your height.
    My waist measurement is 34" and my height is 67", so I need to lose the slab of fat around my navel, which is proving difficult to shift.

For anyone who doesn't know their BMI, you can calculate it with the NHS BMI calculator:
    www.nhs.uk/tools/pages/healthyweightcalculator.aspx

• Like Like x 1
    #14 Prem51, Oct 22, 2016 at 10:14 AM
  15. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

Have you tried progressive resistance training for gluteal muscles, e.g. doing squats or lunges and gradually increasing the repetitions and/or weight? Perhaps additional muscle would compensate for the reduced fat.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Hiitsme

Hiitsme Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My BMI is now about 20.5 down from 25 at diagnosis and I'm sure that has really helped with my blood sugar control, I had gone down to 19.6 but my GP wanted it above 20 as some blood tests were showing a possibility of being malnourished. I still have control but I'm scared of putting any more weight back on. Happy with my BMI though I did like it when it was at it's lowest.

• Like Like x 3
  17. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

22 (5ft 1": 117lbs) substantial glute and quads - just ran 11.4km in 70mins (including time spent not getting run over and checking blood sugar at 5k) if my BMI can get me there, I don't much care what colour it is :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

You're right but having just reached OAP age, high intensity types of exercise are not particularly appealing. With long term hip and back issues, fear of injury is also an issue.

If I was a lot younger, I'd probably be more enthused about it, but at my age, I do what I can and that I know I'll persist with - walking. At various times, I've started various exercise regimes, but my enthusiasm tends to wane very quickly. Walking outdoors is one activity I love and it's the only one that I've managed to do long term.

Resistance training and HIIT are both things I tell myself I "should" do, but rarely manage to commit to :(

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

I think you're right to be cautious - you don't want to injure yourself so you can't continue with the things you are already doing. The secret is to start really easy and progress really slowly. The great thing about resistance training is that it doesn't take long and only has to be done 2-3 times a week. If you focused on glutes you could get the whole thing done in 10 minutes a week. There 's a helpful page here:- http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/Pages/strength-exercises-for-older-people.aspx

• Like Like x 1
  20. SWUSA_

See the formulas posted above to calculate BMIs not on the chart and then use the categories to class your BMI. It is possible to be obese at any height but you have to try harder when you are over 6 feet tall because the weight is spread out over a longer distance on your body. I am jealous at just over 5 ft 6 inches.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook