Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
I will watch that too.

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The earlier thread about the various Inside Out diabetes-related programmes in different BBC England regions is here.

As they used to say: 'except for viewers in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, which have their own programmes'.

The London programme only is shown later this week on BBC News Channel (14:30 29/10 and 10:30 on 30/10).

There is an associated BBC News report here, drawing on more than one of the editions.

Reactions: ickihun

mophead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just watched the programme in the NorthWest...the usual "it's a life style disease" line,heavy on the amputations,ulcers,liver failure but nothing about how to cope with the problem.Nothing new.

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Certainly had a long feature on the East Midlands version which was also the one shown on HD.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, I thought it was good. It clarified the difference between T1 and T2 and mentioned this forum a lot, giving the web address and talking about the 250K forum members. Yes, it did show amputations etc but this was obviously intended to scare people into taking diabetes seriously. Sadly there was no mention of Late onset T1 (LADA) and some members of an Indian family all listed as T2 looked like LADAs to me as they were slim. No doubt they will eventually go onto insulin and the NHS will say it proves T2 is progressive. This remains a big research issue.

A

asparagusp

Still can't figure out why after the antibody test in July which said I was Type 2, why I am that, as I have always been slim .....

Last edited by a moderator:

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds as though it was more in depth than the south west one as, unless I misheard, it didn't mention this forum at all!

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
The best part was the forum part! It was all fear until that bit - the forum showed it wasn't all doom and gloom!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well, I thought it was good. It clarified the difference between T1 and T2 and mentioned this forum a lot, giving the web address and talking about the 250K forum members. Yes, it did show amputations etc but this was obviously intended to scare people into taking diabetes seriously. Sadly there was no mention of Late onset T1 (LADA) and some members of an Indian family all listed as T2 looked like LADAs to me as they were slim. No doubt they will eventually go onto insulin and the NHS will say it proves T2 is progressive. This remains a big research issue.
Not in north west, it mentioned diabetes uk but not this forum.
It was mostly what Manchester university has done for foot ulcers and the ethnic risk for south Asians.
Nowt about prevention except the usual rubbish about eating junk food and sugar!

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having now skimmed through 4 regions it seems that they all showed the core feature of the man with few toes and the teenage girl. Two of these (East & West Midlands) showed the diabetes.co.uk article. What was interesting about many of the more local content was its challenge to the NHS that if resources were targeted earlier into education,monitoring, and diet, then the amount spent on the downstream complications could be reduced. One area for example has reduced amputations significantly by beefing up foot examination services. One region looked at dietary reversal - although emphasis as presented was on calories.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well the south east variant was a re-hash of pananoidama coupled with a 'What an area of the region - Medway' is doing showing images of older calorie enhanced folk on treadmills - like fish out of water and losts of blurred images of a street sceen of people walking past fast food outlets
Frankly it is getting boring, and there is a chance I wont watch something down the line that IS important

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Still can't figure out why after the antibody test in July which said I was Type 2, why I am that, as I have always beem slim .....

So was my dad.. He was T2 too.. (fizzy pop, fast food, & even using a cashpoint was a perversion.) ;)
There are also plenty of other T2s on this forum got it the same... It's just the cards dealt.
There.are many causes of T2 & other types. If I didn't know any better? I'd swear blind you believe the "myths" even though "living the dream"?? o_O

Reactions: lovinglife