best bread for a Type2.

Thyroiddiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I wondered what is best bread for me i am carb counting and need to get bread that is easy to get i cant afford to get speialist bread online so need one that is available from supermarket
I have 100 % rye I don't think a lot of the breads advertised as low carb are really low carb.enough for diabetics.

amber22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ellagy
I made these rolls last week. I took them out of the oven after 50 minutes and they were beautifully well risen.
Then they collapsed and were soggy inside.
I don't know where I went wrong. I used ground almonds. Is that correct or do they need the higher protein almond flour like the one made by Sukrin?

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
@ellagy
I made these rolls last week. I took them out of the oven after 50 minutes and they were beautifully well risen.
Then they collapsed and were soggy inside.
I don't know where I went wrong. I used ground almonds. Is that correct or do they need the higher protein almond flour like the one made by Sukrin?
Mr E is the cook in this household and he used ground almonds. They haven't collapsed but they are sometimes hollow. They do look a little underdone if you pull them apart. I hope you make them again, as I love them! They really are bread like to my mind! I will be trying them toasted tomorrow!

Reactions: amber22

amber22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mr E is the cook in this household and he used ground almonds. They haven't collapsed but they are sometimes hollow. They do look a little underdone if you pull them apart. I hope you make them again, as I love them! They really are bread like to my mind! I will be trying them toasted tomorrow!
Thank you. Yes I will try them again.
I have just looked at this page of Maria's site and will use the suggestion for deflating rolls to reduce the baking powder to 11/2 teaspoons.
http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/the-best-low-carb-bread/

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Take one loo roll and butter it and there you are.
:eek::eek:
I wonder if loo rolls are made from Ryvita or vice versa - I could never get on with its cardboardy taste pre-diabetes and I've never considered eating it since... However my little dogs enjoy chomping on an occasional loo roll (neat) but I suspect they'd enjoy a buttered one even more as they're rather enthusiastic about the fatty part of my LCHF diet.

Robbity

PS Recipe for a loo roll sandwich:
loo roll then filling then loo roll again
(based on my little sister's recipe for apple pie done for her homework 50 odd years ago:
Pastry then apple then pastry again
- I still laugh about it when I'm baking, but I never found out what her teacher thought of her magnificent culinary effort though... :p:p

Reactions: Brunneria

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Someone on these forums recently suggested a particular low-carb bread, Livlife, which I've tried and it's lovely. I've only found it available on one of the supermarkets, though, and it's £1.59 (£31.8/100gm) for a small sliced loaf but it is only 14.6gms carbs /100mgs and is 3.8gms/slice - yes, a small slice. It does compare favourably to Burgen, which is 25.0gm/100mgs carbs, 11gms a slice for the larger loaf and 9.1/slice for the smaller loaf (29.3gms/100gms ??? - think there must be a misprint somewhere along the line so check it out)

So, it's LivLife (31.8p/100gm) for me now :) although I don't eat it very often, only when I need some carbs (ie low glucose levels) Burgen, larger loaf, is £0.19/100gm; smaller £0.20/100gm)

:)

A

asparagusp

Again I advocate Nairns Organic Super Seeded oatcakes at 5g per oatcake! They are so so yummy!

Streety

Type of diabetes
LADA
It depends what you're wanting to 'sandwich'. I thinly slice cucumber to make salmon rolls. Backed or fried large slices of cauliflower could contain filling. Making wraps from scratch with a low carb flour substitute. Almond and Coconut flour are examples. Nut breads are another option but will be pricey.
Sadly, I've yet to see a really good example of low carb bread.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
None! If I'm going to allow myself extra carbs, I'd much rather do it eating fruit than tastless bread (or oat cakes - yuck). After living without grains for this long, the only one I occasionally miss is rice. The rest, especially wheat, are so tasteless - I really don't understand why anybody wants to eat them, but to each their own.

554dgk.jpg
The fact that one of the world experts on gluten (Dr Alessio Fasano) stated that "no human can digest gluten" makes me even more bemused about why anyone wants to eat the stuff - it's one of the "usual suspects" in any kind of autoimmune disease - completely avoidable and an unacceptable risk in my world. Oh well, down off my
554dgk.jpg

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm a type 1 who chooses to lower-carb. I find it easy to simply not ever have bread, regardless of whether it's 'standard' or lower carb. I have found ways to neither want it nor need it. And I really, really don't miss it, after nearly a year of creatively avoiding it.

I don't have toast, cereal or porridge for breakfast - just eggs, or a massive fry-up at the weekend, sans toast or bread.

I don't have a sandwich for lunch - I have either homemade soup with no bread, or a huge very ingredient-varied salad. Both of these take much longer to make than a sandwich, but I do both soups and boxed salads in batches every few days. I can easily take either of these to work with me, or if I'm out on a job at lunchtime I take salad*, not soup! Easy to eat in the (parked) car or wherever.

I LOVE making and eating food. Cooking and food preparation are great loves of mine. I make the time to do it, because it's worth it.

Removing bread entirely, rather than using a replacement product, suits me very well.

:)

*and I try not to forget to take a fork and a napkin.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Susikav and Indy51

Lilliepop

So what are good substitutes of bread?
I'm wheat and gluten intolerant as well as prediabetic so it's so difficult for me. But have started eating organic rice cakes
With lots of butter or what ever you want 4g per slice from Amazon. They are very nice never thought I would say that about rice cakes

statler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
salad
Warburtons protein range. Easy to get hold of and not like chewing on a bag of linseed. A good compromise on my levels. Only way to tell is try and test. I prefer the thins

Reactions: Prem51