Baked beans

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I'm definitely going to try all the recipes and options, and at the moment I'm monitoring everything just so I can figure out what I can enjoy without spiking. I just gave away all my butter and use flora because it has less unsaturated fat.... maybe I should have kept the butter... Talking of butter I love mushrooms cooked in a little butter... can we eat mushrooms?
Yes - a big mushroom is about one carb - I make soufflé omelettes with a filling of finely sliced mushrooms cooked in butter - about two carbs the lot. I also do tomato or cheese - or push the boat out and have both.

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi davyg. Unfoftunately I cant help you myself as I'm really struggling myself due to an eating disorder along with my diabetes.i just wanted you to know that the people on this site are amazing and will definately be able to help you, I just really want to say hi and welcome from me x

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DavyG this thread is really interesting with all the different ideas. How do you keep track of your carbs and calories? I find the myfitnesspal website really useful for this.

Reactions: Jogreen21

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had two slices of bread - once in the last 4 months the resulting spike was enough to get rid of it completely.
If you must eat pork pie eat the fatty filling and chuck away the crust ! it was the crust that caused the spike not the filling

Also be aware that the time you eat can make a difference , for me all food eaten in the morning has much worse effects than that eaten at 6pm so sometimes relative readings for different foods can be misleading

steak plus a stock cube plus a multivitamin and maybe a potassium , magnesium , calcium supplement - would pretty much cover everything on the nutrients front . though the more you switch it up and the more you find a way to eat vegetables the better off you will be .

Reactions: Jogreen21

DavyG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
all vegetables except potatoes and beans
@Resurgam I just looked on food.com at souffle omelettes and they look tasty and filling, when I saw the word souffle I instantly thought flour oh no! but it's not like a baked souffle, it makes omelettes fluffy without flour. I'm already imagining button mushrooms warmed through in butter then cooked in a fluffy omelette with a little cheese.

@Jogreen21 Hi Jo yes I've found so many useful threads on here and everyone is so kind to take the time to help, I was told I was diabetic over the phone I haven't seen a doctor, it took a few weeks to even see a nurse and I was feeling a little lost, no advice, what to do, what to eat, when to eat and lots of contradictions, but here people take time to share the experience that they have and not only does that make me feel confident to follow the suggestions and advice, I don't feel lost any more. :)
That must be difficult with an eating disorder, I'm trying to keep track of the things that causes me to spike and avoid them and my metformin has suppressed my appetite to the point that I almost make myself eat at times in order to take my tablet, but some of the recipes I'm seeing look really tasty and I'm looking forward to trying them. But for you.... your disorder must really make a big impact on your spikes. So I guess you are fighting 2 battles.

@mo53 I haven't really been counting carbs but you've made me realise that I should. I've cut out all sugar, white bread and flour based products are at a minimum. but I seemed to have hit a level and cannot drop any lower. So I think monitoring my carb intake will help me get my BG down and keep it down. I don't think that app works on an android only an iphone but I can use it from my pc and keep track. Thank you.

@CherryAA Bread doesn't take me over 9, I'd prefer it stayed under 8 (I'd prefer if it had no effect on my BG :) ) luckily as my appetite has started to diminish I have lost my craving for high carb large meals. In the past I would never consider eating any meal without bread to make me fill full, but looking at the souffle omelette or a steak I can see me eating either of them without bread so I will see if I can cut right back. I'm getting some multi vitamins today, but I cannot think of a way that I can eat vegetables unless they were hidden so I couldn't see, smell or taste them, The most powerful memory from my childhood is being force to eat a sprout as a 5 year old and over 50 years later I can remember with horror the nausea it caused me. But I love fruit (even green fruit :) ) so I hope the nutrients are still in them but obviously they have natural sugar and they do not come with a food label to tell me which is high or low. The only thing I have been told is grapes and bananas are high in sugar.

Reactions: Serena51

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I lurvvve sprouts! I think my troubles stem from being overweight and I lost over 10 stone so ive counted calories all my life.i was admitted to hospital once weighing in at 5 and a half stone)I thought I looked wonderful!!) After years of counting calories I now have to count carbs but in the back of my mind I get conflicting thoughts and have trouble separating the 2 conditions.my aim at the moment is just to eat without vomitting which I did yesterday (albeit just the once) but I was so pleased myself.now today ive tested and its over 18. I dont know how I should be feeling,should I feel unwell,shaky,sick,lightheaded ????? Ive no idea.being diabetic has its own problems and wish everyone well who is struggling but we will sort it together.without this site I just couldnt do this,I would have given in by now. I like to tell everyone out there how I'm doing (the ups and downs) and I know ive got friends who will help and give me invaluable advice.good luck to everyone who isnt finding it easy. It does rather take over your life doesnt it? X

C

catherinecherub

Hi @DavyG,

There is nothing to stop you from making your own baked beans. Buy some dried haricot beans and follow the instruction as to how to cook them. Make your own tomato sauce using toms, herbs and spices and then try them and see if your meter accepts this dish.
The beans come under the heading of resistant starches and this article explains how they work within the digestive system.
https://authoritynutrition.com/resistant-starch-101/

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DavyG this thread is really interesting with all the different ideas. How do you keep track of your carbs and calories? I find the myfitnesspal website really useful for this.
I use cron-o-meter because it gives the full range of nutrients and assumes that fat is good not bad.

DavyG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Jogreen21 I'm just trying to find a way to make food appetising or to incorporate beans somehow... I'm still amazed I can eat fried food... the first thing I did was empty my fridge and freezer of eggs and bacon and cheese and threw away my frying pan and deep fat fryer ( I bought a Halo+ healthy fryer for a once a month treat) I wish I had found this site earlier :) but my problems are trivial compared to the difficulties you face. Increased medication and now I'm getting good advice to follow will make a great difference for me but you have to overcome 2 things.

@mo53 you keep finding these gems, I'm looking through the recipes and thinking "that's nice and it's quick and simple, even I could do it" thank you :)

@catherinecherub Thank you, there is so much I have taken for granted or just never took the time to learn. $ types of starch and they react differently depending on their preparation AND they can be included in a low carb diet. It opens up a lot of new options.

@CherryAA Thanks that works on my android :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is one of my amazing culinary skills to make three eggs and a bit of something out of the fridge into a meal for two.
The trick is to have the bowl in which you whisk the egg whites absolutely clean, not a trace of fat.
When they are stiff put them into a frying pan with already melted butter and spread them out. Leave the pan on a gentle heat. In another bowl have the yokes, beat them, then add just a little tepid water and beat them again, then pour the yokes into the centre of the whites - it will sink to the bottom and form a layer there. Cook for a little while, until the bottom is showing a little colour, then put the pan under the grill and toast it gently until the top begins to colour. You need to have already cooked mushrooms to add on top when the omelette is within half a minute of being ready to serve. To get mine to fold over I have to tip one side up and slice through the layer of yoke, or it just opens up again.
Keep one pan just for making omelettes, never wash it, just wipe it clean with a soft cloth.

DavyG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Resurgam well that with a little cheese is my dinner this evening :) The recipe I saw added the yolks by folding them in before any cooking but I've never managed to fold anything into egg whites and keep the air in, so this way is perfect thank you :)

I'm going to get some mushrooms and haricot beans now

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Its such a lot of numbers isnt it.? I'm overwhelmed by them all its numbers numbers numbers lol
I'm sure one day it will all click into place but for now I just need to concentrate on eating and not vomitting (which I might add I havent done for over 24 hours x

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
every single hour is a victory and even if at some point you do, your next goal is to last for longer - you can do it !

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you like cheese toasted you may manage a lidl high protein roll with lots of cheese toasted on it I also make a crustless quiche by buttering a small oven proof dish filling with softened walnuts (in butter) beaten egg and a few blobs of strong blue cheese stick in the oven for about 20 mins or until.the egg is set
CAROL

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Found that if I ditched te "Heinzesque" beans and made my own baked bens (proper haricot - type beans, bacon lardons, & home-made tomato sauce) my blood didn't peak that badly!
Must be that for me, beans release their carbs slowly enough that my insulin response can just cope with them.:cool:

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
thank you @SWUSA_ I love mushrooms so that's good to know I can have them several times each week. I also love cheese and I've cut myself down on it because I used to have cheese on toast so too much bread and way too much cheese but, scrambled egg and cheese sounds great and I wouldn't feel the need to overuse the cheese :) in fact I think I could eat that without any bread.

@CherryAA Thanks I'll get some balsamic and put some flavour back into my meals. Both my parents ate everything meat, fish or vegetable. Unfortunately although I tried every vegetable that they tried I cannot stand them, I can eat a very small amount of carrot if I hide it in some tomato soup or eaten with meat or potato, but things like cabbage, cauli, sprouts, swede, parsnip, turnip, sweet potato are all disgusting, as for salad veg, I have (maybe 10 times in my life) eaten a lettuce leaf in a BLT or bacon cheeseburger and only because it is tasteless and I didn't mind. but no onions, garlic, cucumber, avocado, squash or anything else like that, I've tried them all and I'd fast if the only other option was to eat them.

I love meat, I'll eat any from snake to dinosaur if I could find it ;)
Should I be taking some vitamin supplements to offset my lack of vegetables? I do love all fruit, dairy and nuts but they seem to be a bit of a minefield knowing some are high in sugar or fat. My friend in America said a little peanut butter on a cracker is ok as an occasional treat.

At present I'm avoiding flour as much as I can, I eat around 1 to 2 slices of wholegrain bread per day and the one time I had a small slice of apple pie and a spoonful of ice cream my BG went from 6.1 to over 14 when I checked it 2 hours later, it panicked me, especially as previously I'd eaten a small piece of pork pie that was very fatty and the pastry only made my bg go to 9
I would talk to your doctor or dietitian next time about vitamin C supplements-I do not know what other medications you are taking and if it would interfere. It does sound like your diet may be deficient there-rose hip tea also has vitamin C. Half a cup of lemon juice also has 93% of the vitamin C needed for a day. If you put lemon juice on a steak it makes the iron more easily absorb into your body.

Last edited:

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Its such a lot of numbers isnt it.? I'm overwhelmed by them all its numbers numbers numbers lol
I'm sure one day it will all click into place but for now I just need to concentrate on eating and not vomitting (which I might add I havent done for over 24 hours x
Great job Jo! (I'm at two weeks now.)

DavyG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@carty That sounds delicious :) I live opposite a lidl's.

@Resurgam I "managed" a souffle omelette, it looked like something they would send back to the kitchen... my cooking is awful :) but it tasted fantastic and 2 hours later my BG had barely risen... that's quick and easy and I will make it look as good as it tastes :)

@CollieBoy I am soaking haricot beans now, and I like the bacon being included but I thought lardons are very salty

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Great job Jo!
Great job Jo!
@carty That sounds delicious :) I live opposite a lidl's.

@Resurgam I "managed" a souffle omelette, it looked like something they would send back to the kitchen... my cooking is awful :) but it tasted fantastic and 2 hours later my BG had barely risen... that's quick and easy and I will make it look as good as it tastes :)

@CollieBoy I am soaking haricot beans now, and I like the bacon being included but I thought lardons are very salty
Lardons are salty but when you start cooking at home you are going to be eating less salt overall and may need the sodium. For now if you want to make them less salty-soak them in water in a separate bowl from the beans and discard the water before you add them to the beans-you are getting so handy in the kitchen already!

Reactions: DavyG