Saturated Fats

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I downloaded the following information from the Internet:
The Benefits Of Saturated Fats

The much-maligned saturated fats-which Americans are trying to avoid-are not the cause of our modern diseases. In fact, they play many important roles in the body chemistry:

• Saturated fatty acids constitute at least 50% of the cell membranes. They are what gives our cells necessary stiffness and integrity.
  • They play a vital role in the health of our bones. For calcium to be effectively incorporated into the skeletal structure, at least 50% of the dietary fats should be saturated.
  • They lower Lp(a), a substance in the blood that indicates proneness to heart disease.
  • They protect the liver from alcohol and other toxins, such as Tylenol.
  • They enhance the immune system.
  • They are needed for the proper utilization of essential fatty acids. Elongated omega-3 fatty acids are better retained in the tissues when the diet is rich in saturated fats.
  • Saturated 18-carbon stearic acid and 16-carbon palmitic acid are the preferred foods for the heart, which is why the fat around the heart muscle is highly saturated. The heart draws on this reserve of fat in times of stress.
  • Short- and medium-chain saturated fatty acids have important antimicrobial properties. They protect us against harmful microorganisms in the digestive tract. The scientific evidence, honestly evaluated, does not support the assertion that “artery- clogging” saturated fats cause heart disease. Actually, evaluation of the fat in artery clogs reveals that only about 26% is saturated. The rest is unsaturated, of which more than half is polyunsaturated
https://draxe.com/the-truth-about-saturated-fat/
https://plenavita.co.uk/blogs/news/86448707-the-benefits-of-saturated-fats

Edited by Mod to add link.

Last edited:
Reactions: jonbvn and Susikav

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hydrogen.

Fats which are not saturated (un-saturates) have some hydrogen atoms "missing" from the long chains of molecules making them up. This changes some of their properties for example, they are more reactive (ie go off quicker) and are more likely to be liquid at room temperature. Any fat that you eat, be it lard, butter, olive oil, will contain a mix of saturated and un-saturated fats

As has been indicated above, enjoy and embrace real fats, butter, goose fat, coconut oil, lard, olive oil and avoid the bleached, coloured, de-odourised, artificially constructed products of the chemical industry, such as margarine and low fat spreads and you will be just fine.
Sally

Here is something which I downloaded:

Here are the top 8 reasons not to fear saturated fats. By Kris Gunnars, BSc

Cholesterol is a molecule that is absolutely vital to life.

1.Saturated Fats Increase The Size of LDL Cholesterol
2. Saturated Fats Raise HDL Cholesterol
3. Saturated Fats Do Not Cause Heart Disease
4. Saturated Fats May Lower The Risk of Stroke
5. Saturated Fats Don’t Damage Easily in High Heat
6. Foods With Saturated Fats Are Nutritious
7. Diets High in Saturated Fat Are Good For Weight Loss
8. Saturated Fat Tastes Amazing

Bottom Line: Eating saturated fats raises blood levels of HDL (the “good”) cholesterol, which should lower your risk of heart disease.
Low-carbohydrate diets, which are usually high in saturated fat, actually make you lose more weight than diets that are low in fat. They also improve most biomarkers of health much more than low-fat diets
https://authoritynutrition.com/top-8-reasons-not-to-fear-saturated-fats/

Last edited:

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Someone suggested the Mediterranean Diet on a recent post so I have been reading up on it.

According to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_diet

In 2014, two meta-analyses found that the Mediterranean diet was associated with a decreased risk of type 2 diabetes. BUT As the Mediterranean diet usually includes products containing gluten like pasta and bread, increasing use of the diet may have contributed to the growing rate of gluten-related disorders.

I think it will be the LCHF diet for me.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I ate med diet fats more.. Ie olives, feta cheese, avocados etc.. never, never ate the carb laden pastas etc.. the old med diet is more complex than pasta.. I think you are largely thinking of the version adopted and changed version!!

See link
http://oldwayspt.org/traditional-diets/mediterranean-diet

Reactions: Freema

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I think this video explains the differences between types of fats, and their relevance, extremely well.

The video is taken from a series of presentations at the Public Health Collaboration Conference in (I think) June 2016.
The PHCUK is a fairly new organisation, with a number of highly qualified and well informed members (doctors, dietitians, consultants) who are tired of the misinformation used to justify government dietary advice and strategy.

This is a thread showing links to the other presentations, if you are interested in watching them.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/phcuk-conference-videos.103686/page-1
Two superb lectures. Thanks very much for posting the links!! @Brunneria

Reactions: Freema

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I ate med diet fats more.. Ie olives, feta cheese, avocados etc.. never, never ate the carb laden pastas etc.. the old med diet is more complex than pasta.. I think you are largely thinking of the version adopted and changed version!!

See link
http://oldwayspt.org/traditional-diets/mediterranean-diet
You may be right, I will look it up. I have never eaten olives nor feta cheese but I will give them a try. The avocados in Uganda are twice the size than anything I have seen in the UK and they have more flavour.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas Day yesterday. We did here in Uganda. My wife and I decided to spend our last Christmas in Uganda with the people we have come to love and work with these past 15 years.

The children of the Sunday School arranged a Nativity play which they practiced themselves without any teachers having an input. They made their own costumes and wrote their own lines from the Bible. Some parts were very innovative but not contradictive to the Scriptural text. The sermon was thoughtful and inspiring linking the Advent of Christ with crucifixion on Calvary.

Afterwards all the children (about 100) received a soft cuddly toy and the whole congregation (about 170) received a bottle of cold soda (outside temperature was about 80 degrees f). Many people stayed behind to enjoy lunch with us which consisted of chicken, beef, rice, roast potatoes, cabbage, and matoke (a vegetable banana), plenty of saturated fats mixed with traditional FRESH carbs.

The whole day (including lunch and the toys) was paid for by the Free Presbyterian Church in Northern Ireland.

In the evening my wife and I were still not hungry so at 9 pm we had a boiled egg and a tomato sandwich. I checked my blood sugar beforehand and it was 13.9 OH DEAR.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I didnt even realise there was two sort of versions
Of the med lifestyle!! Old and american effectively.. again a lovely member on this forum told me to make sure I looked at the old med version for foods...

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I didnt even realise there was two sort of versions
Of the med lifestyle!! Old and american effectively.. again a lovely member on this forum told me to make sure I looked at the old med version for foods...

Hello again donnellysdogs. I have now read the "Old version" and you are right, it is different - and better. A couple of reservations though: (1) I would not take the "red wine" because at 20 I was almost an alcoholic (yes I know that it is a disease but exessive drinking can bring it on) so it would be unwise of me to go down that road again (it all started with drinking too much red wine when I was 14); (2) Shell fish are scavengers and thus eat dead flesh. They can pass diseases to the eater - in fact Jews were forbidden to eat any water or sea creature which did not have fins and scales (Leviticus 11:10-12). ( I am not a Jew but their food laws make a lot of sense).

Have you noticed that the Med Diet, the Keto Diet; the LCHF Diet; and the LCHF Diet from "Diet Doctor" are all very similar. The main element in them all is LCHF with just a slight variation about "red meat" and vegetables.

One thing they don't explore is that it is almost impossible to purchase vegetables that have not been "irradiated" (even so called "organic" is not really "organic" unless you know the farmer) and all meat has been contaminated with "antibiotics". I have seen butchers add colouring to meat displayed in their shop windows and I suspect other things are added as well.

My Diabetes is BETTER in Uganda than in the UK even though I eat virtually all cards - the food is fresh.

But when I return to UK in January I will try one of the LCHF diets.

Thank you for enlightening me.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hello again donnellysdogs. I have now read the "Old version" and you are right, it is different - and better. A couple of reservations though: (1) I would not take the "red wine" because at 20 I was almost an alcoholic (yes I know that it is a disease but exessive drinking can bring it on) so it would be unwise of me to go down that road again (it all started with drinking too much red wine when I was 14); (2) Shell fish are scavengers and thus eat dead flesh. They can pass diseases to the eater - in fact Jews were forbidden to eat any water or sea creature which did not have fins and scales (Leviticus 11:10-12). ( I am not a Jew but their food laws make a lot of sense).

Have you noticed that the Med Diet, the Keto Diet; the LCHF Diet; and the LCHF Diet from "Diet Doctor" are all very similar. The main element in them all is LCHF with just a slight variation about "red meat" and vegetables.

One thing they don't explore is that it is almost impossible to purchase vegetables that have not been "irradiated" (even so called "organic" is not really "organic" unless you know the farmer) and all meat has been contaminated with "antibiotics". I have seen butchers add colouring to meat displayed in their shop windows and I suspect other things are added as well.

My Diabetes is BETTER in Uganda than in the UK even though I eat virtually all cards - the food is fresh.

But when I return to UK in January I will try one of the LCHF diets.

Thank you for enlightening me.

Thanks for enlightening me too!

Must admit I didnt do much fish and next to none red wine!! Lol. I did get used to salmon and tuna though. Tuna I still have.

Agree with all food being contaminated in some way. It annoys me that lemons etc are waxed!! Charged more for unwaxed ones in some shops!!

I try to buy organic veg now I can't grow my own. I still dont really believe in any of food nowadays being healthy
though... got no choice though.. staggering when even olive oil may not be what it says it is!!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-italian-olive-oil-producers-accused-of-fraud

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for enlightening me too!

Must admit I didnt do much fish and next to none red wine!! Lol. I did get used to salmon and tuna though. Tuna I still have.

Agree with all food being contaminated in some way. It annoys me that lemons etc are waxed!! Charged more for unwaxed ones in some shops!!

I try to buy organic veg now I can't grow my own. I still dont really believe in any of food nowadays being healthy
though... got no choice though.. staggering when even olive oil may not be what it says it is!!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-italian-olive-oil-producers-accused-of-fraud

I wonder is it possible to buy Israeli olive oil. I tend to trust them more than other Med & Middle East countries. They have more to lose if caught cheating.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I try to when possible buy my veg from local allotment shop you tend to know what your getting then,

Reactions: Kyambala