Breakfast is "dangerous"

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Maybe he should have just changed his breakfast?
What was he eating to get those spikes, cornflakes?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is why I avoid all carbs if I eat breakfast.
It is either protein (e.g. ham), or protein AND fat (e.g. eggs and bacon), or just fat (e.g. coffee and cream).
No breakfast spikes at all, that way.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I think he's right in a way. When I'm not on this Blood Sugar Diet I often enjoy a low carb cooked breakfast with only a slight rise in BG but if I have any carbs at all it goes high and stays high all day even something like full fat yoghurt with berries will send it soaring.

Reactions: Freema

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hmmm. Breakfast is a dangerous meal.... If you are eating starchy foods that blow up your blood glucose levels. If you aren't, then it's slightly different I'd suggest!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Very lacking in information. I don't skip breakfast, my levels don't sky rocket post breakfast either. Example, my fasting is about 5, I consume around 900 to 1000 cal at breakfast. 20g of carbs. Lunch time (Next meal) I'm at about 5 or less. I'm T2, but not medicated and follow a LCHF diet and exercise. I got the impression he ate too many carbs and didn't understand how to control his levels, but as I said. A lot of info lacking.

Great it worked out for him. That certainly wouldn't work for me, due to the calorie reduction. Personally, I think it's reckless and irresponsible for someone in a position like his to push a certain method, just because it worked for them. However, controversial statements like his get attention and he wants to sell a book. Each to their own as they say.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Yes, I suspect Terence Kealey was eating the usual suspects. I tend to save breakfast for the weekend these days and it is usually eggs and bacon/kippers, which only raise BS slightly. During the week I try to only have Bulletproof Coffee and nothing till lunch, unless I'm absolutely starving or hadn't eaten much the evening before. Even then it's usually only a fat bomb or a pot of scrambled egg from one of the more enlightened coffee shops.

As with everything, it's horses for courses.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nonsense.

It's common knowledge that we are typically most insulin resistant in the morning. There is no disputing that fact.

That alone doesn't make breakfast "dangerous"...

ANY diabetic who builds a meal based upon starchy carbs WILL more than likely see a BG spike. The fact that we are most insulin resistant early in the day, would make breakfast seem like the enemy to those who are a little thick...

Instead of simply saying that breakfast is as bad as smoking, he should have opted for a breakfast not based on carbohydrates.

The media seriously grinds my gears.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Just had this conversation with my mum !

She's not a diabetic but eats fruit and cereal for breakfast and is forever saying 'it's the best meal of the day' she wasn't impressed when I told her what my meter tells me if I eat the same so don't think she will change anytime soon. Sadly for me if i'm high when I wake I either have to skip or eat a lump of cheese or ham as I do find it difficult starting the day without something to munch on, however if I have porridge or muesli it can take me until lunchtime to come back down into range.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Best meal of the day as far as I'm concerned and certainly not dangerous :)(but obviously I'm not a type 2 like the chap in the article).

@Tophat1900 post sums it all up perfectly.

Last edited:

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If the picture of the breakfast and his quote are anything to go by it's not a surprise that his levels rocketed.

“At first I always ate breakfast, basing my meals on starchy foods,” he said.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Coco Pops dodger wins Nobel Prize

Hurrah! :joyful:

My breakfast puts a stop to my liver dump. It is also a zero carb source of nutrition. Remember nutrition? I am keeping it.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I think that missing any meal, especially breakfast, (break fast) is a bad idea as the lack of food then drops bg levels and then even mild exercise, like moving around or even thinking, would cause the liver and muscles to release glycogen and thus raise bg levels.

" He bought a glucometer to test his blood-sugar levels and noticed a pattern - after he ate breakfast, his levels would rocket.
“At first I always ate breakfast, basing my meals on starchy foods,” he said."

It seems to me that he started off well enough but then failed to identify the root of problem correctly.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also find that a LCHF brekkie stops my liver dump and from then on my BS lowers throughout the day, with my lowest readings coming early evening. Strangely, my diabetic nurse suggested I only test when I know I'll get the lower readings and not bother checking my morning readings when I know they'll be higher. I check anyway, because I want to know what's going on.
My LCHF brekkie choices are things like bacon and eggs, coffee and cream with a few brazil nuts, poached egg on ham, salami and cheese. I used to not bother with breakfast at all, but by lunch would be so hungry that I stuffed any carby item in sight.

Hotpepper20000

I find with the LCHF way of eating I'm less hungry. So have become more attuned to my body.
If I'm hungry I eat. Morning or not.
My A1C is 38 and I have lost 50 lbs.
My opinion is we each have to find what works for us.

Reactions: DM500

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that missing any meal, especially breakfast, (break fast) is a bad idea as the lack of food then drops bg levels and then even mild exercise, like moving around or even thinking, would cause the liver and muscles to release glycogen and thus raise bg levels.

" He bought a glucometer to test his blood-sugar levels and noticed a pattern - after he ate breakfast, his levels would rocket.
“At first I always ate breakfast, basing my meals on starchy foods,” he said."

It seems to me that he started off well enough but then failed to identify the root of problem correctly.

Sorry Sid have to disagree.. I reckon that skipping breakfast (16:8 fasting) along with LCHF are what helped to control my errant blood sugars. Certainly brought them under control quite fast and have helped with weight loss too. I think that intermittent fasting alongside dropping most carbs is a very powerful combo to control blood sugar levels and start to reverse Type 2.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Best meal of the day as far as I'm concerned and certainly not dangerous :)(but obviously I'm not a type 2 like the chap in the article).

@Tophat1900 post sums it all up perfectly.
If you eat what most people think is apt for breakfast I would say that for Type 2's breakfast is probably the most dangerous meal of the day. Sweet, sugary cereals are possibly the worst thing we could eat and would lead to a sugar spike and crash which would induce very strong hunger pangs mid morning.

Reactions: Freema

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If you eat what most people think is apt for breakfast I would say that for Type 2's breakfast is probably the most dangerous meal of the day. Sweet, sugary cereals are possibly the worst thing we could eat and would lead to a sugar spike and crash which would induce very strong hunger pangs mid morning.

Hence why as a type 2 the guy in the article should keep away from such meals as the one you've mentioned above, I'm sure the low-carb type 2's on this forum could offer up some alternative breakfasts should he take the plunge and join-up :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I don't eat cereals in the morning and I will not stop eating breakfast :mad: quote :- Terence Kealey, 64, believes breakfast is a “dangerous meal” and hopes that in 10 years time it will become as socially unacceptable as smoking cigarettes. That, was enough for me :arghh: