1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Breakfast is "dangerous"

Discussion in 'Fasting' started by Tabbyjoolz, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

No they are not. Unfortunately, I think the public has been told/trained to think it is and have followed this advice most of their lives. It's little wonder diabetes is an epidemic problem world wide. I just wish I knew then, what I know now.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. willabudhabi

willabudhabi Type 1 · Newbie

Really interesting and hits home with me. I eat 1 weetabix with sugar free soy milkmand still spikes up to 300 some mornings will try this.

3. akindrat18

akindrat18 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I can't function without having breakfast. First thing I do when I wake up between 6 and 7am is put the kettle on to make a brew and then have a bowl of cereal, porridge or 3 - 4 weetabix.

4. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

I agree that cereal isn't a healthy breakfast for anyone, non-diabetics may tolerate it, but that doesn't mean there are health benefits attached to eating it.

I am in the minority here. For so many years I believed that breakfast was an important meal. Now I agree with @bulkbiker that some of us need to do 16:8 fasting, my first meal is brunch at 11.00. As regards liver dump, I find that one cup of tea with whole milk is enough to stop it, I don't need to eat.

We all eat breakfast, some just eat it at lunch time instead, we still break the fast whether that is at 8 am or 2 pm.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Everyone is different but as of some people's breakfast being dangerous. Yep! Not mine thou. :)

6. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

I don't wish to be harsh Akindrat, but look what that sort of breakfast has done to you and your levels. You know that particular breakfast is dangerous for you. Good to see you back posting and I hope all is well. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think the point is we are all different and it depends what works for you. Personally I agree that breakfast is the best meal of the day as there are so many wonderful LCHF options. For me skipping breakfast doesn't work - I need to fuel my body with something LC otherwise my BG rises and goes on rising - fasting doesn't work for me at breakfast. I can skip lunch but not breakfast. I also feel queasy and light headed if I don't eat breakfast. As to the man in the article comparing breakfast to smoking??? Seriously?? I had years on porridge/cereal, OJ, Toast , fruit and thinking it was healthy. Probably why I am where I am today.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I accidently slipped into 16 / 8 fasting because I was just not hungry at traditional breakfast time. On some days I would not "break my fast" until 13.00, a 19 hour fast. As a result I now eat just 2 meals a day with no snacking. Don't those doing LCHF still feel full from the previous days dinner?

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

I'm currently doing a 16/8 fast (more like 17/9) although I do have a cup of tea for breakfast. Other than that no food from previous dinner until next lunch. I thought I'd find it hard, but I really don't. I just don't feel hungry at all. Maybe this is because I'm retired so don't have to rush about and go to work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. heli2010

heli2010 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

unfortunately that was my downfall too Ive had 3 weetabix for breakfast everyday since I was about 7 and sometimes I would have it in the evening totally shunning anything cooked I realise now that what I thought was a healthy option was anything but.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. juliagc

juliagc Type 2 · Member

That is very interesting. My glucose level is high when I wake up (9.1) After I have breakfast it starts going down. I will try what happens if I don't eat till lunch.

• Like Like x 1
  12. kokhongw

kokhongw I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

To me, for T2D, dinner after sunset may be more dangerous... :D

13. SHELLEB

SHELLEB Type 2 · Member

juliagc

that is interesting. May I ask what you had for breakfast?

My glucose level was 9.2 on waking today. Toast & cereal (even low sugar ones) will make it spike.

So I am looking for low carb, high fat options, but this is very new to me. Have previously gone for low carbs & low fat.

Thanking you in anticipation

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook