Breakfast is "dangerous"

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
In my brain, sugar and cereal are not health food, diabetic or not. But that's just my OCD diet.

No they are not. Unfortunately, I think the public has been told/trained to think it is and have followed this advice most of their lives. It's little wonder diabetes is an epidemic problem world wide. I just wish I knew then, what I know now.

willabudhabi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Really interesting and hits home with me. I eat 1 weetabix with sugar free soy milkmand still spikes up to 300 some mornings will try this.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't function without having breakfast. First thing I do when I wake up between 6 and 7am is put the kettle on to make a brew and then have a bowl of cereal, porridge or 3 - 4 weetabix.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that cereal isn't a healthy breakfast for anyone, non-diabetics may tolerate it, but that doesn't mean there are health benefits attached to eating it.

I am in the minority here. For so many years I believed that breakfast was an important meal. Now I agree with @bulkbiker that some of us need to do 16:8 fasting, my first meal is brunch at 11.00. As regards liver dump, I find that one cup of tea with whole milk is enough to stop it, I don't need to eat.

We all eat breakfast, some just eat it at lunch time instead, we still break the fast whether that is at 8 am or 2 pm.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Everyone is different but as of some people's breakfast being dangerous. Yep! Not mine thou. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't function without having breakfast. First thing I do when I wake up between 6 and 7am is put the kettle on to make a brew and then have a bowl of cereal, porridge or 3 - 4 weetabix.

I don't wish to be harsh Akindrat, but look what that sort of breakfast has done to you and your levels. You know that particular breakfast is dangerous for you. Good to see you back posting and I hope all is well. :)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think the point is we are all different and it depends what works for you. Personally I agree that breakfast is the best meal of the day as there are so many wonderful LCHF options. For me skipping breakfast doesn't work - I need to fuel my body with something LC otherwise my BG rises and goes on rising - fasting doesn't work for me at breakfast. I can skip lunch but not breakfast. I also feel queasy and light headed if I don't eat breakfast. As to the man in the article comparing breakfast to smoking??? Seriously?? I had years on porridge/cereal, OJ, Toast , fruit and thinking it was healthy. Probably why I am where I am today.

Reactions: noblehead

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I accidently slipped into 16 / 8 fasting because I was just not hungry at traditional breakfast time. On some days I would not "break my fast" until 13.00, a 19 hour fast. As a result I now eat just 2 meals a day with no snacking. Don't those doing LCHF still feel full from the previous days dinner?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm currently doing a 16/8 fast (more like 17/9) although I do have a cup of tea for breakfast. Other than that no food from previous dinner until next lunch. I thought I'd find it hard, but I really don't. I just don't feel hungry at all. Maybe this is because I'm retired so don't have to rush about and go to work.

Reactions: Energize

heli2010

Type of diabetes
Type 2
unfortunately that was my downfall too Ive had 3 weetabix for breakfast everyday since I was about 7 and sometimes I would have it in the evening totally shunning anything cooked I realise now that what I thought was a healthy option was anything but.

juliagc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise
Reactions: SHELLEB

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To me, for T2D, dinner after sunset may be more dangerous... :D

SHELLEB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
juliagc

that is interesting. May I ask what you had for breakfast?

My glucose level was 9.2 on waking today. Toast & cereal (even low sugar ones) will make it spike.

So I am looking for low carb, high fat options, but this is very new to me. Have previously gone for low carbs & low fat.

Thanking you in anticipation