So confused....apologies for long first post

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My numbers pretty much mirrored yours on diagnosis, the improvements are set out below. I pretty much follow the diet guidelines set out in dietdoctor.com and I don't avoid saturatd fats ! 53lbs down so far :)

"

No potato, bread, rice, pasta, anything packaged, flour, sweets, sugar, No polyunsaturated vegetables oils or milk.
Plenty of natural fats - lard, butter goose and duck fat, cream, bacon & eggs , full fat mayonnaise and cheeses with above ground vegetables plus 10g onion per serving, cold pressed virgin olive and nut oils , avocados, above ground vegetables , all types of fatty meats including fat and skin, offals, prawn , crab , salmon and other fish ( 60-80g servings) , and nuts and nut oils ( 10 g servings) macadamia, brazil, walnuts, pecan, almonds, hazelnuts and nut oils , sunflower, chia, flax, hemp seeds ( 5g servings on top of many dishes) balsamic and other vinegars. above ground vegetables (max 100g servings plus 5g butter), butter creamed cauliflower and broccoli mash as a replacement for potatoes, cauliflower rice, fresh spinach as a replacement for bread, Bullet proof coffee with butter, MCT oil and cream ( one small percolator per day spread on hunger) ,within an overall calorie goal of circa 1250, under 30g carbs and under 70g protein ( i.e. 100g total)

12 wks ave cal 1305, fat 62% 92 g, protein 21% 68g , carb12% 28g net of 13g fibre, 5% whisky. 1kg per week .
Fat content 92g made up of 30g saturated, 38g mono 3g omega 3 , 13g omega 6 and 1 g transfats .(using cronometer - fats don't add - I don't know why - its what cronometer gives me!)"

achike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Nancy_B please reconfirm that your glycated haemoglobin HbA1c is a super high 97 before I can give further advice.

Meanwhile take it easy as you have joined a good forum.
1. Cut off all saturated oils and fats.
2. Go on low carb diet.
3. Eat lots of cruciferous vegetables, fruits and nuts.
4. Diet portion control.
5. Moderate exercise.
6. Avoid processed foods.
7. Drink a lot of still bottled or filtered water.
8. Drink alcohol in moderation or cut it off if you lack control.
9. No smoking all your life.
10. Control your blood pressure and blood cholesterol aggressively with appropriate medications.
Good luck.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nancy_B please reconfirm that your glycated haemoglobin HbA1c is a super high 97 before I can give further advice.

2. Go on low carb diet.
4. Diet portion control.
5. Moderate exercise.
10. Control your blood pressure and blood cholesterol aggressively with appropriate medications.
Good luck.

Sorry but I disagree-with point 1.

I don't think there is any no need to cut off all saturated oils and fats - that dramatically restricts food choices and doesn't appear to be necessary at least for some. I started off pretty much in the same position as this person 5 months ago.

I have managed to lose 53 lbs, cut blood sugar dramatically and improve all metabolic markers including cholesterol, LDL and triglycerides using LCHF (60% fat) positively embracing saturated fats in preference to other types with no medication at all. There is a lot of evidence that the vilification of saturated fats is not necessary and indeed may be counterproductive. On the other hand polyunsaturated fats - such as processed corn oils and other seed oils- seem to be best avoided .

achike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The advice I gave is standard based on research but as Type 2 diabetes is a complex condition what works for you might NOT work for another.

Moreover, the dynamics of our internal systems differs. When Nancy_B stabilizes she could experiment and use BG monitoring to see if saturated oils and fats appropriate for her like you.

DevonVee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Nanny B
I have just been told I am type 2 after 25 years of struggling withPCOS and insulin resistance. Told to eat low GI carbs after I had gestational diabetes 12 years ago. Did all that. No weight loss and now gone into Type 2. Put on Metformin ordinary and SR and have had explosive diarrhoea. Stopped last week and am now trying to go LCHF. HAVE LOST SOME WEIGHT! I know it sounds mad but when you look at the biology it does make sense. There was a tv programme on BBC where he did the diet and lost a stone. On iPlayer. I have bought my own testing strips to see which carbs I can tolerate best.
Doubt I will get them on prescription. What are the cheapest does anyone know?

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@DevonVee

Currently the cheapest strips are the Codefree. It is very popular on here for that reason.

Try here for the Codefree meter
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

Pharmacies don't sell them. There are discount codes if you buy in bulk and don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free.
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

Reactions: Freema

DevonVee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you . I have already spent about £100 trying to check. Much cheaper option. I am seeing diabetes nurse on Friday to get shouted at probably for stopping metformin but I have 2 kids and cannot manage with diarrhoea.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you . I have already spent about £100 trying to check. Much cheaper option. I am seeing diabetes nurse on Friday to get shouted at probably for stopping metformin but I have 2 kids and cannot manage with diarrhoea.
I would not worry about the meformin too much at this stage.

If you follow a strict low carb diet, like I did, then there is every chance that your numbers will improve without the medication just like mine did. You can then revisit the meds later if necessary. With the codefree metre you will be able to tell pretty quickly if things are moving in the right direction or not. good luck !

calmic5701

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Nanny_B when you take your BG take the sample from the side of your finger tip as this is less sensitive. Make sure you wash your hands well before as I have found that even small amounts of fat / grease can affect your Bg readings.
Good luck

Nanny_B

Type of diabetes
Type 2

2. Go on low carb diet.
4. Diet portion control.
5. Moderate exercise.
Good luck.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

2. Go on low carb diet.
4. Diet portion control.
5. Moderate exercise.
Good luck.
There are a few points I don't agree on here, I'm afraid, achike, particularly in the way you state them as a 'given'

1. As previously pointed out, it seems saturated oils and fats are not necessarily as 'bad' as we have been told.

3. I would suggest being very careful re fruits, as many are high in Fructose (sugar). 'Berries' are less likely to raise glucose levels as much as other fruits. Tropical fruts tend to be higher Fructose. Only by testing can one learn how a particular fruit affects one. Every person is likely to be different.

Also, vegetables also have carbohydrate content so, again, testing will determine which vegetables are better tolerated.

5. Yes, if possible, some exercise may help the Insulin Resistance

7. In my opinion, bottled / filtered water is not necessary. Ordinary tap water is absolutely fine. Hard water adds some benefits, as far as I understand. All down to personal preference but not obligatory

9. Certainly smoking is not advisable but, again, many have other issues which take priority so may be unable to stop smoking, at least for the time being.

10. I don't agree that blood pressure, nor cholestrol, needs 'agressive' control. The GP should have this in hand, if necessary. Regarding cholestrol medications, ie statins, many choose not to take statins and also many, including myself, do not agree with NICE guidelines saying that ALL diabetics should be taking them. LCHF will often improve cholestrol levels and cholestrol is in our bodies for a reason so it's not necessarily good to have them artificially lowered.

We all have a choice as to how we manage our diabetes and medications, hopefully with an informed choice and discussion with the doctor. It's not set in stone!

achike said:
"The advice I gave is standard based on research ..."
You don't mention where you have got this 'advice' from and much of the research undertaken which the NHS have taken on board is considered, by so many, to be 'flawed' so I would suggest you take this comment with a pinch of salt and do further research.

Having said all that, I appreciate your advice is well-intentioned and, in most, I would agree with. :)

Reactions: Prem51 and Freema

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as I can work out all you need to worry about is carbs, balancing what you can eat and be happy about it, and trans-fats which you should avoid entirely - oh, and apparently sunflower oil is not as good for you as had been thought. I avoid things over 10 percent carbs so I can eat enough - except for grapes which I should restrict but show a distinctly worrying lack of self control when faced with a box of huge black grapes, but it could be worse. All the healthy eating information I have had from the diabetes advice dietician seems to be likely to kill rather than cure.

AndyPoulton

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum.

Here's a great web site that explains type 2 diabetes in an easy to understand, straightforward manner:

www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

In regards to fat, the simple answer is that dietary fat doesn't make people fat, carbs do. The other thing to consider is that carbs (sugar, potatoes, wheat, etc) raise blood glucose levels. Fats do not. So eating more fat and less carbs will bring your blood glucose levels down.

Here's a great site on how to eat a low carb diet:

www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

Personally, I recommend that you (and everyone) eat as little factory processed food as possible (i.e. packaged food with labels). Eat fresh food that's been minimally processed.

Surely it's calories that make people fat, no matter how they come in to the body? The body is just a machine and we use energy to keep us alive and energy use is measured by the calories we consume. I was always taught (much simplified) that a calorie is simply being a measure of energy contained in a given food or drink.

So, if we consume more calories than we use then the excess is saved as fat and if we burn more calories than we consume then the energy deficit is filled by burning calories that the body has stored and so we'll lose weight.

The big problem is that portion sizes have grown and lifestyles have become more sedentary and so the oft quoted figures of average calories required per day is over stated.

A pond of fat contains 3,500 calories so that's how many calories extra calories you have to burn to lose 1lb in weight

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That a calorie is a calorie is not what I found. My doctor had me eating a very low calorie diet, under 1000 calories a day and I was not losing weight so he wanted to put it even lower, and soon after that I rebelled because I couldn't do anything as I was so feeble.
I tried altering the make up of what I ate to include fewer carbs, and straight away began to lose weight. I could happily eat far more calories and be losing weight every day. I read that many of Dr Atkins patients experienced the same thing, when I eventually found the book 'New diet revolution' which he wrote. As for exercise - a great way to become ravenously hungry.
When I am eating low carb I find that I radiate heat, and feel energetic, I go out of the house more and walk further - even on cold days as it affects me less. There can't be negative calories, but it certainly feels like it.
I know that I cannot substitute carbs from more starchy foods for lighter ones and still lose weight at the same rate - 5gm of beans are more than 5gm of celery for instance - when it comes to adding up the totals. There is something else going on which has been ridiculed for a long time, but successful weight loss and incidentally blood glucose control is involved.

Last edited:

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Surely it's calories that make people fat, no matter how they come in to the body? The body is just a machine and we use energy to keep us alive and energy use is measured by the calories we consume. I was always taught (much simplified) that a calorie is simply being a measure of energy contained in a given food or drink.

So, if we consume more calories than we use then the excess is saved as fat and if we burn more calories than we consume then the energy deficit is filled by burning calories that the body has stored and so we'll lose weight.

The big problem is that portion sizes have grown and lifestyles have become more sedentary and so the oft quoted figures of average calories required per day is over stated.

A pond of fat contains 3,500 calories so that's how many calories extra calories you have to burn to lose 1lb in weight

On the surface, this seems to make sense. But if, to put it at its most extreme, I ate 1000 calories a day of Mars bars, I'd undoubtedly lose weight but it's not sustainable. I'd be ravenously hungry all the time because I'd be in a constant state of blood sugar highs, release of insulin to deal with them, then crashes before starting the whole cycle over again. For a T2 diabetic, good blood sugar control would be all but impossible.

Since all carbohydrates turn into sugar in the blood, it seems much more logical to keep them down and replace with dietary fat (which doesn't spike blood sugar levels). It's perfectly possible to maintain a calorie deficit with a low carb, high fat diet. In fact portion control, and fasting if liked, is very much easier because of the lack of hunger. Fats are filling and satisfying. :)

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables

Nope. www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/success-stories

Reactions: kittypoker

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
My nurse today issued me with a blood testing kit with all the little needles and test strips and said they will top up my prescriptions free of charge so very lucky in that area.

If you haven't got an exemption certificate make sure you get your Doctor to fill in the correct forms for you so that one can be issued. Having diabetes doesn't automatically mean free prescriptions unless you have the certificate. Obviously if you live in Wales or Scotland this doesn't apply or being over 60. :)

Nanny_B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I h
If you haven't got an exemption certificate make sure you get your Doctor to fill in the correct forms for you so that one can be issued. Having diabetes doesn't automatically mean free prescriptions unless you have the certificate. Obviously if you live in Wales or Scotland this doesn't apply or being over 60. :)
I have one, it arrived in the post today!

Reactions: Japes and CarbsRok

achike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Control of Diabetes Type 2 is complicated as it is complex. What works one person might NOT work for another. There are genetic factors affecting individuals.