Type 1: Fish...NOT the dish!!!

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys... thought i would have a really healthy low carb meal for my tea last night so thought i would try a Youngs Gastro cracked black pepper cod fillet (17.7g carb) and medetaranian salad with a little oil so estimated about 20g carb in total for meal. calculated dosage and bolused 20 mins before eating thinking great... maybe get really nice line not spike too much... determined to be healthy!!... but no.... no spike at all... infact slowly started dropping after about 45 mins....and carried on!!... so much so had so correct and stabalise levels with gluco tab and digestive buscuit!! Any one else have problems with supermarket packet fish??.. ie the carb amount stated on the packet is NOT actually the case???

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The Young's Gastro fish is rather nice and we often buy it when it's on offer, maybe next time bolus just before eating or after to see what results you get, but carb wise I think the packaging info is spot-on and I've not had any issues to date.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi guys... thought i would have a really healthy low carb meal for my tea last night so thought i would try a Youngs Gastro cracked black pepper cod fillet (17.7g carb) and medetaranian salad with a little oil so estimated about 20g carb in total for meal. calculated dosage and bolused 20 mins before eating thinking great... maybe get really nice line not spike too much... determined to be healthy!!... but no.... no spike at all... infact slowly started dropping after about 45 mins....and carried on!!... so much so had so correct and stabalise levels with gluco tab and digestive buscuit!! Any one else have problems with supermarket packet fish??.. ie the carb amount stated on the packet is NOT actually the case???

I wouldn't have counted the salad. Also, I have found a few ready meals that are slightly off in carb counts. I usually cast my eye over the ingredients to double check. Some meals will count carbs in things like carrots, etc, that most Type 1s don't count. I've no idea what was in the fish you had, but it could be something like that.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Fish is mainly protein so with that being the main ingredient I would suspect the rise was very gradual and later than your insulin peak.
As others have suggested perhaps bolus just before you eat and see if that helps.