1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1: Fish...NOT the dish!!!

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Postleneo, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Postleneo

Postleneo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi guys... thought i would have a really healthy low carb meal for my tea last night so thought i would try a Youngs Gastro cracked black pepper cod fillet (17.7g carb) and medetaranian salad with a little oil so estimated about 20g carb in total for meal. calculated dosage and bolused 20 mins before eating thinking great... maybe get really nice line not spike too much... determined to be healthy!!... but no.... no spike at all... infact slowly started dropping after about 45 mins....and carried on!!... so much so had so correct and stabalise levels with gluco tab and digestive buscuit!! Any one else have problems with supermarket packet fish??.. ie the carb amount stated on the packet is NOT actually the case???

2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

The Young's Gastro fish is rather nice and we often buy it when it's on offer, maybe next time bolus just before eating or after to see what results you get, but carb wise I think the packaging info is spot-on and I've not had any issues to date.

3. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

I wouldn't have counted the salad. Also, I have found a few ready meals that are slightly off in carb counts. I usually cast my eye over the ingredients to double check. Some meals will count carbs in things like carrots, etc, that most Type 1s don't count. I've no idea what was in the fish you had, but it could be something like that.

4. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Fish is mainly protein so with that being the main ingredient I would suspect the rise was very gradual and later than your insulin peak.
    As others have suggested perhaps bolus just before you eat and see if that helps.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook