Just feel like giving up

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

It's been some time since I've been on here last and everything was going well until last Thursday when my sister decided to move back in and all she's done since being back is saying that I'm not eating healthy, that I shouldn't be eating high fat foods and that the diet doctor site is misleading. She thinks that because I eat bacon, eggs, cheese and cream most days that I am damaging my health, even though I'm losing weight and my blood sugar's have stabilised.

She thinks I'm not eating right and that she knows diabetics who can eat what they want, drink what they want and have stabilised blood sugars. We always have massive arguments about what I eat as she thinks that I should eat what she eats, but all she eats is cornflakes, chicken, sweet potato, corn and rice.

Tonight though, I've hit breaking point as she came in when I was cooking a steak in butter sauce with cauliflower rice, told me that it is not healthy and saying that I should not eat red meat and that I should consider waiting until my parents finish work and cook together, implying that I'm selfish as I'm only thinking about myself. She makes me so irate, that I can't even stand to be stay home when it's just me and her.

I've just had enough of her as she thinks she is right all the time, even though she's not and now I'm sitting in a pub, getting ****** and about to order a double bacon and cheese burger.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
Hello,

It's been some time since I've been on here last and everything was going well until last Thursday when my sister decided to move back in and all she's done since being back is saying that I'm not eating healthy, that I shouldn't be eating high fat foods and that the diet doctor site is misleading. She thinks that because I eat bacon, eggs, cheese and cream most days that I am damaging my health, even though I'm losing weight and my blood sugar's have stabilised.

She thinks I'm not eating right and that she knows diabetics who can eat what they want, drink what they want and have stabilised blood sugars. We always have massive arguments about what I eat as she thinks that I should eat what she eats, but all she eats is cornflakes, chicken, sweet potato, corn and rice.

Tonight though, I've hit breaking point as she came in when I was cooking a steak in butter sauce with cauliflower rice, told me that it is not healthy and saying that I should not eat red meat and that I should consider waiting until my parents finish work and cook together, implying that I'm selfish as I'm only thinking about myself. She makes me so irate, that I can't even stand to be stay home when it's just me and her.

I've just had enough of her as she thinks she is right all the time, even though she's not and now I'm sitting in a pub, getting ****** and about to order a double bacon and cheese burger.
Awwww that's terrible for you

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Siblings can be a pain in the butt.. You sound like you are doing really well with weight loss and stabilised blood sugar.
She sounds a right "know it all" and obviously knows very little. Point her to this site and tell her she needs educating.
P.S Don't eat the bun with that burger ;)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

oh I am sad to hear that you suffer from a silly sisters interference... , puuuh what to do and what to advice you is hard to come with any really good suggestions... maybe if you were able to move for yourself then you could at least show her the door..., but maybe the best advice right now it to say a mantra on the inside of your head every time she comes with her betterknowingly talks... repeat in your head ; "bug.er bu.ger bu.ger untill she has finished her talking and don´t repeat her ...

Reactions: daisyduck

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

Oh dear. I'm sorry you're finding your sister such a challenge. If it's any consolation, when my brother and I were growing up, we fought not just like dog and cat, but like a pack of dogs and a clowder of cats. My poor parents!

Please don't let this become any more than a metaphoric bump in the road.

In your shoes, I'd be trying to think of something I could challenge my brother to. For instance, as you are now successfully trimming up (big congratulations on that), if she carries any spare poundage, could you challenge her to stick to a diet of her choice for, say a month? That way she might realise how managing things isn't such a breeze, and with lucky you would lose more than her! The challenge would have to be more than week though, as we both know anyone embarking on a diet loses a disproportionately large amount in the first week, but it's mainly water.

I do hope you can find a way through this.

(What's your total weight loss now, because I seem to recall you had made a good start on this bit a while ago?)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sisters - they seem to have an instinctive ability to make us angry.
I suspect that all you can do is tell her to shut up about it, your diet is not open for negotiation as your health depends upon you controlling your blood glucose levels, and that is what you intend to do.
If she realises just how serious you are about it she might stop yanking your chain, but you might need to repeat yourself for it to sink in.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@akindrat18
Stick to your guns!!! Don't let your sister ruin your life!!!!

You're clearly doing well, both with losing weight and keeping your glucose levels stable so don't let your sister spoil all that hard work.

You are the one who is responsible for what you eat and you've already chosen the way you feel is right for you, which seems to have already proven itself. Maybe with time, your sister will come round to your way of thinking but, in the meantime, stick with it and stay confident that you CAN do this, in spite of your sister creating such waves.

Basically, it's nothing to do with your sister how you eat. I presume your parents understand what you are working towards. I wonder how they are reacting to your sister being such an upstart having come back into the household? Any chance of parents being onside?

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Siblings can be a pain in the butt.. You sound like you are doing really well with weight loss and stabilised blood sugar.
She sounds a right "know it all" and obviously knows very little. Point her to this site and tell her she needs educating.
P.S Don't eat the bun with that burger ;)

Fat chance of that happening, she said that she's spoken with a nutritionist and that bacon and cheese should be eaten sparingly. Also I did eat the bun.

Oh dear. I'm sorry you're finding your sister such a challenge. If it's any consolation, when my brother and I were growing up, we fought not just like dog and cat, but like a pack of dogs and a clowder of cats. My poor parents!

Please don't let this become any more than a metaphoric bump in the road.

In your shoes, I'd be trying to think of something I could challenge my brother to. For instance, as you are now successfully trimming up (big congratulations on that), if she carries any spare poundage, could you challenge her to stick to a diet of her choice for, say a month? That way she might realise how managing things isn't such a breeze, and with lucky you would lose more than her! The challenge would have to be more than week though, as we both know anyone embarking on a diet loses a disproportionately large amount in the first week, but it's mainly water.

I do hope you can find a way through this.

(What's your total weight loss now, because I seem to recall you had made a good start on this bit a while ago?)

Their is no challenging her, she needs to eat more and increase her weight as she is almost stick thin. My total weight loss is almost 6 stone as I'm down to 18 stone 11 pounds from over 25 stone.
@akindrat18
Stick to your guns!!! Don't let your sister ruin your life!!!!

You're clearly doing well, both with losing weight and keeping your glucose levels stable so don't let your sister spoil all that hard work.

You are the one who is responsible for what you eat and you've already chosen the way you feel is right for you, which seems to have already proven itself. Maybe with time, your sister will come round to your way of thinking but, in the meantime, stick with it and stay confident that you CAN do this, in spite of your sister creating such waves.

Basically, it's nothing to do with your sister how you eat. I presume your parents understand what you are working towards. I wonder how they are reacting to your sister being such an upstart having come back into the household? Any chance of parents being onside?

My parents are on my side, but my sister just won't stand down.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fat chance of that happening, she said that she's spoken with a nutritionist and that bacon and cheese should be eaten sparingly. Also I did eat the bun.

Their is no challenging her, she needs to eat more and increase her weight as she is almost stick thin. My total weight loss is almost 6 stone as I'm down to 18 stone 11 pounds from over 25 stone.

My parents are on my side, but my sister just won't stand down.

That's fantastic progress Akindrat.

If all else fails, you could buy some earplugs and keep doing what you know helps you?

Reactions: Energize

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's a brilliant weight loss. I'd let that speak for itself and perhaps challenge your sister by asking how she thinks you lost so much weight if you're eating the wrong foods. Keep doing what you're doing, but without the bun :)

Reactions: Energize

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sweetie, your health is at stake. You love your sister, of course you do, and sounds like she's a strong personality.

You can be stronger. Just ignore her, show her the door if necessary. You're no fool, you know what you need to eat to control a very serious condition. I suspect she's been disrespecting you for a very long time. What better time to fight back than now, when your life, literally, is on the line?

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's an amazing weight loss, you should be proud of yourself :)
Great to hear your parents are on your side.. perhaps they can tell your sister to back off.. If not I like the earplugs idea ;)
What you are doing is working for you.. don't let her ignorance derail you

Shine311

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being a diabetic, rude people/people with no manners!!
Well done on your weight loss, that is an incredible effort! :) You have to be strong and keep doing what works best for you! It's your life, you are in control of it, not your sister. Happy to hear that you have the support of your parents,perhaps they could speak to your sister and tell her to "back off" if you cannot get through to her? Weight loss and stabilized blood sugars, it does not get any better. Good luck and keep up the fabulous work! :):)

M

mist

Here is a cute kitten to make you feel better..

tiny_kitten.jpg

Get out of there fat Kitteh!

Tiny_Kitten616.jpg

Reactions: 75Bedford

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
even though I'm losing weight and my blood sugar's have stabilised.
@akindrat18 your results speak for themselves. Keep doing the things that are working for you! You know your body better than anyone.

Please don't let this blip affect you in the long term. Sending strength your way!

:)

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the support guys. I am down to 18 stone 7 pounds now and my parents are on my side because of the weight loss. I just now need to monitor and record my blood sugars more often now as I went to the diabetic clinic earlier this month and forgot to take my readings with me. Also I still don't understand what or how to do a insulin correction dose as my DSN has mentioned it, but had little time to go indepth with me about it. At the clinic, I was told that bariatric surgery could be a possibility next year if I don't manage to achieve progressive substantial weight loss this year.

Reactions: ME_Valentijn

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What's your BMI now? I wouldn't have thought surgery would be a sensible option for someone who has managed to lose so much weight already. I'm surprised they mentioned it at clinic at all. How much more weight do you have to lose?

Edit: Keep on with what you've been doing and you'll soon be on the next step - trying to maintain your weight. :) You've done so well already. :)

Last edited:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the support guys. I am down to 18 stone 7 pounds now and my parents are on my side because of the weight loss. I just now need to monitor and record my blood sugars more often now as I went to the diabetic clinic earlier this month and forgot to take my readings with me. Also I still don't understand what or how to do a insulin correction dose as my DSN has mentioned it, but had little time to go indepth with me about it. At the clinic, I was told that bariatric surgery could be a possibility next year if I don't manage to achieve progressive substantial weight loss this year.

You've really, really done well, and you must feel more comfortable on your path now your parents and medical team are more supportive of your way og going about things. Ignoring your sister for a minute, you must feel much happier with life, I hope.

Whilst the link I'm posting is a T1 course, it talks about carb counting and insulin dose adjustments; which I would imagine would include corrections, but please don't do anything you're not comfortable with. Are you able to be in contact with your diabetes team by phone, between appointments?

Are you working these days?