Porridge - good or bad for breakfast

Kevin10896

Hi. I want to add some variety to my low carb diet. Is porridge good or bad in this regard? It keeps me feeling full for longer but oats must be a carbohydrate. Any advice?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Try a small serving and see how it affects your blood sugar. Some people are ok with porridge, some aren't.

We're all different :)

Reactions: dbr10 and Freema

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I want to add some variety to my low carb diet. Is porridge good or bad in this regard? It keeps me feeling full for longer but oats must be a carbohydrate. Any advice?

Hi and welcome!

We all seem to have different responses to carbs like porridge, bread and rice. Some people are OK with them, and other aren't. Also how we manage our diabetes, with medication, or diet, can make a huge difference too.

Are you on any medication?
And do you have a blood testing meter?
Ideally you would be able to eat some porridge then test to see if it raises your blood glucose, but if you are type 2 you probably haven't been issued with a blood glucose testing meter.

If you are looking for alternative choices for a low carb breakfast, we have had some great suggestions on various threads. I will post a couple of links so that you can see what I mean. :)

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/t2-low-carb-breakfast-on-the-go-ideas.113414/

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/breakfast-ideas.111677/#post-1310616

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Just keep the portion size down. I prefer oats with cold milk (muesli) as 'stewed' oats can in theory cause more of a sugar spike due to cell breakdown.

Reactions: dbr10 and azure

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Milk is also a danger food for us, so you may find it best to water it down or just use water and no milk, but testing will tell you. Again it depends which meds you are on.

It actually helps us give better advice if people put their diabetes medication in their signature. And also which type of diabetes you have!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I could make porridge with water, then add cream - and still get a huge spike which would keep my numbers high right into next day - I just can't eat grains. For some people it is fine, others, no way - you really have to test to see what is right for you.

Reactions: dbr10 and Prem51

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I have the porridge that is in pots and you just add water. I find they are ok for me

M

ME_Valentijn

It's not really a "low" carb food, though some people can handle it. It made me feel quite sick when I tried it a few weeks ago, but I was already hyperglycemic and producing elevated amounts of ketones at the time. Your mileage may vary :D

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have a bowl of porridge most mornings made with 40gm of oats and water. My BG is usually at a good level 2 hours after I've eaten.

As others have said, we all deal with it differently, so it's best to test before and after to see how it affects you.

Reactions: Prem51 and azure

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was wondering about porridge because I occasionally have it for breakfast. Usually I make myself a one egg omelette with cheese for breakfast.

I need to do a blood test 2hrs after eating some porridge to see if it spikes my Blood Sugar, which means taking my Accu Chek Mobile meter to the office during the week. At weekends I don't eat breakfast and use it as an opportunity to do some intermittent fasting. Fortunately, Accu Chek have sent me a free carry case for my meter after doing their online product registration.

Reactions: Prem51

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to have a 'cuppa porridge' every morning as part of my health eating plan until I started testing my blood sugar, then it became a no no as it raised my level too high. The annoying thing is I only started having it regularly last summer when I was diagnosed and they also found high cholesterol so I though this would be a good lifestyle change and I was on a winner, some winner that turned out to be. Like it's been said we are all different so give it a try and see what it does to you, you may be in luck and can tolerate it.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,
Welcome.

What meds are you prescribed for diabetes control? Are you T1, T2, pre D?
As a T1 insulin. For me milk is a "wild card". As Azure said we are all different. But the "insulin dependant" have the oportunaty of bolusing for the carbs... ;)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to have a 'cuppa porridge' every morning as part of my health eating plan until I started testing my blood sugar, then it became a no no as it raised my level too high. The annoying thing is I only started having it regularly last summer when I was diagnosed and they also found high cholesterol so I though this would be a good lifestyle change and I was on a winner, some winner that turned out to be. Like it's been said we are all different so give it a try and see what it does to you, you may be in luck and can tolerate it.
Eating LCHF has lowered my cholesterol far more than the diet I was put on with that end in mind.

Reactions: Prem51 and zand

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good morning I have 40g of porridge with a few raspberries/blueberries every morning a small rise in BG but its good for me mentally so its worth it;)

Last edited:
Reactions: mark3888

sweetbloodsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cilantro, liver, rudeness, cruelty, impatience, prejudice, hatred. kale
Sadly, had to give it up and I used to eat it almost every day. Sends my BS to the moon. Try peanut butter and low sugar jam on toast for feeling full.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Love porridge, just this minute finished a bowl of it :)

Bg testing will determine if you can handle oats or not @Kevin10896

Reactions: wiseowl_123

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good morning before porridge and raspberries 5.2
1 hour after porridge 8.1
2 hours after porridge 5.2

Robkww

Thought I'd test to check my earlier view I was OK with porridge - 5.2 before and 6.1 after 2 hours. One of the lucky one's, keep taking the oats!

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did a test today .. Blood sugar was 6.2 before eating some porridge for breakfast and 10.2 two hours afterwards. Looks like porridge is raising my blood sugar a bit too much.