1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Porridge - good or bad for breakfast

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Kevin10896, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Kevin10896

Kevin10896 · Newbie

Hi. I want to add some variety to my low carb diet. Is porridge good or bad in this regard? It keeps me feeling full for longer but oats must be a carbohydrate. Any advice?

2. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

Try a small serving and see how it affects your blood sugar. Some people are ok with porridge, some aren't.

We're all different :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi and welcome!

We all seem to have different responses to carbs like porridge, bread and rice. Some people are OK with them, and other aren't. Also how we manage our diabetes, with medication, or diet, can make a huge difference too.

Are you on any medication?
    And do you have a blood testing meter?
    Ideally you would be able to eat some porridge then test to see if it raises your blood glucose, but if you are type 2 you probably haven't been issued with a blood glucose testing meter.

If you are looking for alternative choices for a low carb breakfast, we have had some great suggestions on various threads. I will post a couple of links so that you can see what I mean. :)

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/t2-low-carb-breakfast-on-the-go-ideas.113414/

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/breakfast-ideas.111677/#post-1310616

• Like Like x 4
  4. Robkww

Robkww · Well-Known Member

I keep porridge with water, small portion daily, as part of my low/moderate carb diet and have no problem with it. Agree with @azure, we are for sure all different - give it a try and measure.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #4 Robkww, Feb 17, 2017 at 5:07 PM
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  5. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. Just keep the portion size down. I prefer oats with cold milk (muesli) as 'stewed' oats can in theory cause more of a sugar spike due to cell breakdown.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Milk is also a danger food for us, so you may find it best to water it down or just use water and no milk, but testing will tell you. Again it depends which meds you are on.

It actually helps us give better advice if people put their diabetes medication in their signature. And also which type of diabetes you have!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I could make porridge with water, then add cream - and still get a huge spike which would keep my numbers high right into next day - I just can't eat grains. For some people it is fine, others, no way - you really have to test to see what is right for you.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ally1

ally1 Type 2 · Expert

I have the porridge that is in pots and you just add water. I find they are ok for me

9. ME_Valentijn

ME_Valentijn · Guest

It's not really a "low" carb food, though some people can handle it. It made me feel quite sick when I tried it a few weeks ago, but I was already hyperglycemic and producing elevated amounts of ketones at the time. Your mileage may vary :D

10. Inchindown

Inchindown Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have a bowl of porridge most mornings made with 40gm of oats and water. My BG is usually at a good level 2 hours after I've eaten.

As others have said, we all deal with it differently, so it's best to test before and after to see how it affects you.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Art Of Flowers

Art Of Flowers I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was wondering about porridge because I occasionally have it for breakfast. Usually I make myself a one egg omelette with cheese for breakfast.

I need to do a blood test 2hrs after eating some porridge to see if it spikes my Blood Sugar, which means taking my Accu Chek Mobile meter to the office during the week. At weekends I don't eat breakfast and use it as an opportunity to do some intermittent fasting. Fortunately, Accu Chek have sent me a free carry case for my meter after doing their online product registration.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Johnjoe13

Johnjoe13 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I used to have a 'cuppa porridge' every morning as part of my health eating plan until I started testing my blood sugar, then it became a no no as it raised my level too high. The annoying thing is I only started having it regularly last summer when I was diagnosed and they also found high cholesterol so I though this would be a good lifestyle change and I was on a winner, some winner that turned out to be. Like it's been said we are all different so give it a try and see what it does to you, you may be in luck and can tolerate it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hi,
    Welcome.

What meds are you prescribed for diabetes control? Are you T1, T2, pre D?
    As a T1 insulin. For me milk is a "wild card". As Azure said we are all different. But the "insulin dependant" have the oportunaty of bolusing for the carbs... ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Eating LCHF has lowered my cholesterol far more than the diet I was put on with that end in mind.

• Like Like x 2
  15. wiseowl_123

wiseowl_123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good morning I have 40g of porridge with a few raspberries/blueberries every morning a small rise in BG but its good for me mentally so its worth it;)

• Like Like x 1
    #15 wiseowl_123, Feb 18, 2017 at 2:04 AM
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  16. sweetbloodsher

sweetbloodsher Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sadly, had to give it up and I used to eat it almost every day. Sends my BS to the moon. Try peanut butter and low sugar jam on toast for feeling full.

• Like Like x 2
  17. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Love porridge, just this minute finished a bowl of it :)

Bg testing will determine if you can handle oats or not @Kevin10896

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. wiseowl_123

wiseowl_123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good morning before porridge and raspberries 5.2
    1 hour after porridge 8.1
    2 hours after porridge 5.2

19. Robkww

Robkww · Well-Known Member

Thought I'd test to check my earlier view I was OK with porridge - 5.2 before and 6.1 after 2 hours. One of the lucky one's, keep taking the oats!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Art Of Flowers

Art Of Flowers I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I did a test today .. Blood sugar was 6.2 before eating some porridge for breakfast and 10.2 two hours afterwards. Looks like porridge is raising my blood sugar a bit too much.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook