Type 2 Breakfast timing?

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
Good day folks, I was just wondering how many of you have your breakfast as soon as you get up in the morning?! or do you have something to eat say 2 hours after you are up? like myself! thing is I often get up with my highest bg number of the day and it rises as the morning goes on. should I have something to eat straight away on rising and take my meds, then have a breakfast meal little later? thing is hubby walks dog early morning and then we both have breakfast around 9am. I have never felt like breakfast first thing, just a cup of coffee. what do you all do?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the problem of BS starting to rise as soon as I got out of bed. It took me a long time to work out what to do in my particular case. I stopped breakfasts and as soon as I get up I have a coffee with lots of cream. That stops the rise in its tracks and I start to come down again. Since doing this I have had my best pre-lunch levels ever, and am not hungry. It seems to be the fat in the cream and zero carbs that does it, for me at least.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have the same issue - blood sugar rising between waking and breakfast. I get up very early and am not hungry, so wait until I get to work to have breakfast. Have tried eating something fatty (cheese/avocado) very quickly after getting out of bed, but it didn't work for me.

In the end I just decided to be patient and gradually both fasting level and the rise between waking and breakfast have gone down. Yesterday for instance I was 5.8 on waking and 6.8 before breakfast. This morning I even had a small decrease from 6.4 to 6.2. Just last week, one day I was 7.7 on rising, tried eating half an avocado straight after testing, but still went up to 8.8 before eating my regular breakfast. Haven't sustained the improvement over a long period, but the trends are good so trying not to get thrown by the odd high number.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
I had the problem of BS starting to rise as soon as I got out of bed. It took me a long time to work out what to do in my particular case. I stopped breakfasts and as soon as I get up I have a coffee with lots of cream. That stops the rise in its tracks and I start to come down again. Since doing this I have had my best pre-lunch levels ever, and am not hungry. It seems to be the fat in the cream and zero carbs that does it, for me at least.

I will try that. Is cream allowed on a fasting diet?

Reactions: ickihun

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
I don't have cream in coffee but we use evaporated full cream tinned milk! which makes a delish cuppa! I used to have a banana when i got up and well before breakfast but they are too high carb aren't they?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have cream in coffee but we use evaporated full cream tinned milk! which makes a delish cuppa! I used to have a banana when i got up and well before breakfast but they are too high carb aren't they?
hmm evap milk is quite carby.. at almost 13g per 100ml - double cream in comparison is only 2.6g per 100ml. I know which I prefer.
And yes bananas are also very carby.
Eggs and bacon much better option or just skip breakfast altogether.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Have you looked on the tin to see the total carbs? I had a quick look at Carnation. It is 12% sugar. That would half kill me!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I will try that. Is cream allowed on a fasting diet?

I have no idea. I don't fast as such. I just skip breakfasts and eat normally at lunch and tea. If you try it, make sure you test throughout the morning to see what is happening.

Reactions: AM1874

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
100mls of evaporated milk might seem alot but I don't drink half that through a day! I thought it was essential to have breakfast.....most important meal of the day?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Some days it gets to mid afternoon and I haven't eaten anything - and only drunk water. I am not fasting, my body is just resting, I think - and doesn't want to be bothered with food.
If I was still looking after children or going out to work I might do things differently, but these days I am pretty much laid back and don't have many rules.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
100mls of evaporated milk might seem alot but I don't drink half that through a day! I thought it was essential to have breakfast.....most important meal of the day?
absolute cobblers..

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Liver block is the most important meal of the day. On rising!

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Coffee and cream don't work for me. Egg and bacon or cheese omelette ASAP seems to slow my rise down.

Experimented with fasting the other Sunday morning - BG kept rising and made it up to 11.3 by 11 am - much to the fascination of the person next to me on the sound desk at church!

Trial and experiment seems to be the only solution

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A shower first thing after getting up is what raises my Glucose level. Sometimes I've got time to come down and have a coffee with cream, and some cheese, beforehand and I don't get such a rise in Glucose levels then. However, up, loo and straight into the shower is best for me, apart from glucose levels so still trying to work out a solution ;)

Reactions: Ultramum

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Good day folks, I was just wondering how many of you have your breakfast as soon as you get up in the morning?! or do you have something to eat say 2 hours after you are up? like myself! thing is I often get up with my highest bg number of the day and it rises as the morning goes on. should I have something to eat straight away on rising and take my meds, then have a breakfast meal little later? thing is hubby walks dog early morning and then we both have breakfast around 9am. I have never felt like breakfast first thing, just a cup of coffee. what do you all do?

The best thing is to walk the dog with him.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Coffee and cream don't work for me. Egg and bacon or cheese omelette ASAP seems to slow my rise down.

Experimented with fasting the other Sunday morning - BG kept rising and made it up to 11.3 by 11 am - much to the fascination of the person next to me on the sound desk at church!

Trial and experiment seems to be the only solution

Yes, it is all trial and error. Yogurt with only a few berries was dreadful for me and kept me up till lunch time. Then I tried a soft boiled egg. It did help a bit, but was clearly not enough fat. The coffee and loads of cream just hit the mark for me as there is more fat in the cream. My rises weren't ever as extreme as yours because I start around low to mid 5s and ended in the 6s, but it was bad for me and needed resolving. Now I stay in the low to mid 5s all morning.

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
The best thing is to walk the dog with him.
I do sometimes but we have a particular routine, he has early onset dementia and it is his little bit of independence and routine.