1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Breakfast timing?

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Hpetal, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Hpetal

Hpetal Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good day folks, I was just wondering how many of you have your breakfast as soon as you get up in the morning?! or do you have something to eat say 2 hours after you are up? like myself! thing is I often get up with my highest bg number of the day and it rises as the morning goes on. should I have something to eat straight away on rising and take my meds, then have a breakfast meal little later? thing is hubby walks dog early morning and then we both have breakfast around 9am. I have never felt like breakfast first thing, just a cup of coffee. what do you all do?

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

I had the problem of BS starting to rise as soon as I got out of bed. It took me a long time to work out what to do in my particular case. I stopped breakfasts and as soon as I get up I have a coffee with lots of cream. That stops the rise in its tracks and I start to come down again. Since doing this I have had my best pre-lunch levels ever, and am not hungry. It seems to be the fat in the cream and zero carbs that does it, for me at least.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I have the same issue - blood sugar rising between waking and breakfast. I get up very early and am not hungry, so wait until I get to work to have breakfast. Have tried eating something fatty (cheese/avocado) very quickly after getting out of bed, but it didn't work for me.

In the end I just decided to be patient and gradually both fasting level and the rise between waking and breakfast have gone down. Yesterday for instance I was 5.8 on waking and 6.8 before breakfast. This morning I even had a small decrease from 6.4 to 6.2. Just last week, one day I was 7.7 on rising, tried eating half an avocado straight after testing, but still went up to 8.8 before eating my regular breakfast. Haven't sustained the improvement over a long period, but the trends are good so trying not to get thrown by the odd high number.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. berylc

berylc Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I will try that. Is cream allowed on a fasting diet?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hpetal

I don't have cream in coffee but we use evaporated full cream tinned milk! which makes a delish cuppa! I used to have a banana when i got up and well before breakfast but they are too high carb aren't they?

• Hug Hug x 1
  6. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

hmm evap milk is quite carby.. at almost 13g per 100ml - double cream in comparison is only 2.6g per 100ml. I know which I prefer.
    And yes bananas are also very carby.
    Eggs and bacon much better option or just skip breakfast altogether.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Bluetit1802

Have you looked on the tin to see the total carbs? I had a quick look at Carnation. It is 12% sugar. That would half kill me!

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Bluetit1802

I have no idea. I don't fast as such. I just skip breakfasts and eat normally at lunch and tea. If you try it, make sure you test throughout the morning to see what is happening.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Hpetal

100mls of evaporated milk might seem alot but I don't drink half that through a day! I thought it was essential to have breakfast.....most important meal of the day?

10. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Some days it gets to mid afternoon and I haven't eaten anything - and only drunk water. I am not fasting, my body is just resting, I think - and doesn't want to be bothered with food.
    If I was still looking after children or going out to work I might do things differently, but these days I am pretty much laid back and don't have many rules.

11. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

absolute cobblers..

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bluetit1802

Go to work on an egg was the very best advice.

Every bit counts!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Liver block is the most important meal of the day. On rising!

14. Ultramum

Ultramum Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Coffee and cream don't work for me. Egg and bacon or cheese omelette ASAP seems to slow my rise down.

Experimented with fasting the other Sunday morning - BG kept rising and made it up to 11.3 by 11 am - much to the fascination of the person next to me on the sound desk at church!

Trial and experiment seems to be the only solution

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Energize

Energize Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A shower first thing after getting up is what raises my Glucose level. Sometimes I've got time to come down and have a coffee with cream, and some cheese, beforehand and I don't get such a rise in Glucose levels then. However, up, loo and straight into the shower is best for me, apart from glucose levels so still trying to work out a solution ;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The best thing is to walk the dog with him.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bluetit1802

Yes, it is all trial and error. Yogurt with only a few berries was dreadful for me and kept me up till lunch time. Then I tried a soft boiled egg. It did help a bit, but was clearly not enough fat. The coffee and loads of cream just hit the mark for me as there is more fat in the cream. My rises weren't ever as extreme as yours because I start around low to mid 5s and ended in the 6s, but it was bad for me and needed resolving. Now I stay in the low to mid 5s all morning.

• Like Like x 1
  18. majnoon

majnoon Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't eat breakfast, just a mug of coffee,then have something to eat at lunchtime

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hpetal

EXCUSE ME!? I assume you mean the breakfast thing?

20. Hpetal

I do sometimes but we have a particular routine, he has early onset dementia and it is his little bit of independence and routine.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook