Waitrose coffee shop madness

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reduced fat or full fat cream is the real question, though?? :wideyed: I don't believe I can trust cream to actually be proper cream any longer...

Robbity

Agreed, which is why I am ultra careful when having "cream" on anything in cafes and restaurants.

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have just been on official Diabetes UK site and they advocate low fat yogs as a treat, do they not know it has more sugar than high fat?!

Reactions: Ultramum

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went into a Waitrose coffee shop today.

I ordered a coffee and asked for cream

" We don't serve cream"

Ok, then can I have full fat milk please

"We don't serve full fat milk "

"We can only serve healthy options these are - skimmed milk, semi skimmed milk and soy. We are not allowed to serve anything else with our hot drinks. "

Is it any wonder the incidence of diabetes grows by the minute !
Forget Waitrose. Try Costa or Starbucks. I don't usually have a problem, although Starbucks like to charge extra. Probably got bills to pay; or not

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:banghead::bigtears:

Well at least they didn't do what happened to me in a cafe. I ordered a BLACK coffee and was asked by the waiter if I wanted milk or cream. I pointed out that black meant black, no milk or cream. He said he had to bring a jug of one or the other as it was policy.
I often get asked if I want milk with my black coffee.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find that a sweeping statement. My Endocrinologist advised me against the high fat part of the LCHF diet as I am slim. Low carbohydrates is fine.
Where do you get calories?

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have 100% skimmed milk in my tea because that's my personal preference. I can't abide creamy tea. I don't see any rise in my levels after drinking a mug full of tea with this milk.
Not creamy tea. No. Oh dear.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Agreed, which is why I am ultra careful when having "cream" on anything in cafes and restaurants.
Some of the spray can stuff is quite high carbs and only has a passing resemblence to real cream.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just been on official Diabetes UK site and they advocate low fat yogs as a treat, do they not know it has more sugar than high fat?!
Probably. Logic doesn't gave much to do with the standard diet advice.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not necessarily you can get low fat yogurts that are also low sugar

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reduced fat or full fat cream is the real question, though?? :wideyed: I don't believe I can trust cream to actually be proper cream any longer...

Robbity
I never have cream so don't know if it is proper cream or not but when offered cream I think we should at the least expect it to be the real stuff

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:banghead::bigtears:

Well at least they didn't do what happened to me in a cafe. I ordered a BLACK coffee and was asked by the waiter if I wanted milk or cream. I pointed out that black meant black, no milk or cream. He said he had to bring a jug of one or the other as it was policy.

Sometimes I think the world has gone mad and sometimes, just sometimes I would like to meet one of these 'Policy' deciding morons and shove his/her head down the toilet and flush it. More and more I think as a species we are in some way going mad as we evolve, or could it just be a British thing where our brains somehow end up functioning more like our a*se? I think so

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As someone who used to work for Lyons Tetley and tasted foods in storage to determine their shelf life - I would have to protest about the liquid being served in Starbucks being described as coffee.
I make lots of coffee from the bricks of ground coffee sold in Lidl - which is surprisingly good and so very fragrant, and add a little cream. For tea I make a pot of liquorice and mint, using tea bags and add nothing to it.
When out of the house I either take my own or drink water - it is safest. When I took a single sip of the Starbucks concoction I thought that I'd been poisoned.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Forget Waitrose. Try Costa or Starbucks. I don't usually have a problem, although Starbucks like to charge extra. Probably got bills to pay; or not
And forget these! Appalling coffee and "foreign" Try Pret. The coffee is organic and at Christmas they do offer cream in your coffee and chocolate it it's that which "floats your boat:!

Last edited:
Reactions: Speedbird

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
M&S do good coffee. No quibble about cream either. Although I prefer double, I think theirs is single. X

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
No cream? But I bet they'll provide all the sugar you ask for. And pastries.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Aaaah, but are you all forgetting that in Waitrose cafe you can still get coffee for nothing if you buy something else or 20p if its just the coffee?

I always have to grab a coffee in Waitrose - they have my loyalty!!

Their coffee in the cafes do taste better for being free, no matter whether its milk or cream!

Incidentally I took photos in one of their cafes as it was filthy on skirting boards, windows etc. Got a nice voucher and apology.

Had to take a 12" long ginger hair from M&S fish today back to M&S withthe packaging. Hair definitely not ours!! Got a double refund on the fish and will get told how it occurred when they investigate. As I reminded the Manager.. they are meant to wear hats covering hair in the processing places...

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I find that a sweeping statement. My Endocrinologist advised me against the high fat part of the LCHF diet as I am slim. Low carbohydrates is fine.
I think your endo needs to do a bit more research as fat doesn't make you fat or clog the arteries. It's the liver that's the main producer and controller of cholesterol and the carbs have a large part to play in this.