Highest amount of insulin?

NaziaB

Hi guys, Nazia here!

I have serached for this question on the net and different websites are giving me different answers. I understand that everyone injects different amounts of insulin per day BUT what is the highest amount of insulin somone can inject before it becomes dangerous.

Also, for people that use insulin pens, how many mls of insulin does it usually hold?

I am doing doing a business proposal and am thinking about redesigning insulin pens to make the needle part "painless". And have got suggestions from diabetic people of somehow making them smaller as well. I need to know how much insulin these pens hold so that i can figure out what size to make mine.

Also, what does it mean by units? How does units differ from mls?

Thank you for your responses. :)

Last edited:

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your first question does not have an answer I'm afraid. So much so I'm not even going to go into detail about why it cannot be answered.

The "universal" size of an insulin pen cartridge is 3ml.

Reactions: DBolding and NaziaB

NaziaB

Your first question does not have an answer I'm afraid. So much so I'm not even going to go into detail about why it cannot be answered.

The "universal" size of an insulin pen cartridge is 3ml.

Ok and how many units is that?

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I remember the original Novopen had cartridges even smaller than my pump cartridges - that was in the 1980s, and they held 1.5ml. A right pain as they needed replacing more often. I much preferred the 3ml pens. Mind you, the original Novopen did look very much like an actual pen.

Reactions: SimonCrox

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's the ergonomics of the pen too. You can't have something too small else it will mess up the ease of injection. I've always had 3ml pens/cartridges and wouldn't want anything different (apart from my pump : D )

@NaziaB The answer to your question is it totally depends on the individual (and what they're eating, of course).

Reactions: NaziaB

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's the ergonomics of the pen too. You can't have something too small else it will mess up the ease of injection. I've always had 3ml pens/cartridges and wouldn't want anything different (apart from my pump : D )

@NaziaB The answer to your question is it totally depends on the individual (and what they're eating, of course).

Agreed. Some pens like the old "Lilly"? Came with an "adaptor" to help those with dexterity issues to dial a dose & inject...

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin is only dangerous if you use more than you need. Go and research T2 diabetes, in extreme cases you will find examples of 100's of units per day due to insulin resistance.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I remember the original Novopen had cartridges even smaller than my pump cartridges - that was in the 1980s, and they held 1.5ml. A right pain as they needed replacing more often. I much preferred the 3ml pens. Mind you, the original Novopen did look very much like an actual pen.

Was that the one that was made of a similar plastic as a "Windows 95" computer hard drive case? I kept breaking mine.
More sturdier these days! :)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Was that the one that was made of a similar plastic as a "Windows 95" computer hard drive case? I kept breaking mine.
More sturdier these days! :)
Not plastic - my first one was brushed metal, very slender and very, very heavy. Actually I wish I still had it - it was quite attractive as a 'thing'. Before dial-a-dose ones - you unscrewed the lid, then screwed it on to the other end of the pen, and a little button would pop out and that was the plunger. Two clicks, two units, at a time.
:)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
image.jpeg
Just found this pic - thanks Google - which I love, as it shows an example of the first Novopen I ever had, together with an example of the last Novopen I ever had!

Reactions: himtoo

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
View attachment 22467Just found this pic - thanks Google - which I love, as it shows an example of the first Novopen I ever had, together with an example of the last Novopen I ever had!

Wow! That is sheer quality..:cool:
I use the brushed metal style these days. But was never offered this back in the late 1980s.
(I have a choice of clour with the reusables.)

I was at college. & at time my old plastic one got sat on by a dance student. (It was a dance school.)
She couldn't understand why I was so upset she broke it.... :banghead:

Reactions: Snapsy

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Actually I wish I still had it - it was quite attractive as a 'thing'.

That's taking me back, @Snapsy , I remember my metal novopen, they were pretty damned classy! Wouldn't look out of place as a piece of James Bond kit from Q. Then the bic biro version came in and it all went downhill from there... The old times, the old times...

Reactions: Snapsy

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok and how many units is that?
I see @librarising has answered the unit query for you:)

I must admit that I do find the current Novo Nordisk pens a bit too large for my needs. As a guy I like ALL my equipment to have as small a footprint as possible, because everything is in my pockets. So for me, the smaller my equipment can be - the better.

I think an option of 1.5ml cartridges, especially for those of us on lower amounts of insulin, would be beneficial. I have no need for a single 60u bolus or basal dose, which is what my current pen can offer. Further, a 3ml cartridge of basal insulin will last me nearly a fortnight (including air shots to prime my injections). Would I trade a cartridge lasting me one week less for a smaller pen? Definitely:)

The same is true for bolus insulin. I eat a normal amount of carbs (150-200g) per day; and use an ICR of 1:10. That would mean a 3ml cartridge of bolus insulin would last me on average (2 meals, 2 air shots + 1 correction and 1 air shot) somewhere in the region of 13 days. Again, if I halved the life of my cartridge - I'd still be happier with the smaller pen.

Most of us are never far from our fridges, so changing pen cartridges more often isn't a big deal, especially if the end result is a smaller pen. I'm in and out of it permanently when I'm at home, so when I'm grabbing milk for a coffee or a bit of cheese to snack on - I could easily grab a fresh cartridge:)

I'm sure the cost to the manufacturer of increased amounts of packaging/glass casings would come into the argument somewhere; but how much of an impact that may have I don't know.

Last edited:

NaziaB

What do glucose monitors run on? i.e. do they all run on batteries?

Does anyone have one that uses a charger?

Do people prefer rechargeable or to run on batteries? Judging by responses I'm assuming batteries would be better.

In terms of my business proposal, would people prefer my wristband to be rechargeable or to run on batteries?
I would have to think about cost effectiveness as mentioned by @Resurgam so if using rechargeable, it would probably raise the cost of the wristband?

How about solar power? Credits to @andcol

Thank you for your responses. :)

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The batteries last for years, rechargeable would not be cost effective.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What do glucose monitors run on? i.e. do they all run on batteries?

Does anyone have one that uses a charger?
I use this one, which technically uses the power from my smartphone:

http://mydario.co.uk/smart-meter/

Almost all BG meters use CR2032 button cell batteries which usually last well over a year and are around 50p each for brand leaders such as Duracell.

Bayer's Contour NEXT ONE, LINK 2.4 and USB models are all rechargeable. There may be others but I don't know as I've never used any Bayer products.