Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
This is from Amazons Page about the Low Carb High Fat Food revolution. If you read the book you will be wondering if everything you were taught is false. I believe in science and if it's not proven scientifically that cholesterol will kill you, and that the research that proves it's dangerous is faulty, why be scared of getting high cholesterol?? That said, if you do have a history of heart attacks I would follow my doctors advice. I am not a medical person!

Low Carb High Fat Food revolution..

You hear miraculous stories in the news all the time—a man loses 370 pounds, another is able to return ten of his twelve medications at the pharmacy, and an epileptic child suddenly stops having seizures—each experiences a miraculous change in health, all from simply changing his or her diet. Fascinatingly, these stories all have one thing in common; the subjects started eating the opposite of what they had previously been told was healthy. The dietary guidelines they had learned growing up had failed them.

Medical science has long turned a blind eye to such stories. But now the tide is changing, as more and more major studies are being conducted on what the body truly needs to survive—and the findings are alarming. The belief in eating less fat and less saturated fat is mistaken. Inadvertently, this advice may be the biggest reason behind the obesity and diabetes epidemic. It’s time to take a stand; it’s time for real food again!

In Low Carb, High Fat Food Revolution, Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt takes the offensive by exploring the severe systematic failures on which many of today’s dietary guidelines are based. For Eenfeldt’s patients, the solution has been a low-carb, high-fat diet that allows you to eat your fill—and still lose weight. The book concludes with a guide section full of tips and recipes—everything you need to start your own food revolution.
Not from a book that is making someone rich but:

"Atherosclerosis, or hardening of the arteries, is a condition in which plaque builds up inside the arteries. Plaque is made of cholesterol, fatty substances, cellular waste products, calcium and fibrin (a clotting material in the blood). Atherosclerosis is a type of arteriosclerosis."

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

"Atherosclerosis, or hardening of the arteries, is a condition in which plaque builds up inside the arteries. Plaque is made of cholesterol, fatty substances, cellular waste products, calcium and fibrin (a clotting material in the blood). Atherosclerosis is a type of arteriosclerosis."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed...o-link-between-cholesterol-and-heart-disease/
You can find anything you want on the net, but is it scientifically proven? I bet I can find as many sites saying cholesterol is safe as you can find the opposite :) And you don't have to buy the book to start a low carb diet. Just eat good food :D It's the medical companies that is getting rich from unnecessary medication. Much bigger money than some authors of cookbooks getting rich. I usually wouldn't follow any fad diet, but when I can prove to myself with my BG meter that my blood sugar is getting lower, I'm feeling healthier, look slimmer, I would be stupid going back to my ice cream and chips days. If you feel good with whatever you eat, that's just great :)

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
I agree, it is what unofficial Newcastle dieters on this forum have done off their own bat. The original ND re-feeding wasn't LCHF.
I was referring to the ND as practised by members of the forum. Sorry for not making that clear. The combo of ND and LCHF seemed to work for a number of forum members.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
View attachment 22666
Hi, You really have to make up your own mind about fat. Do you believe what everybody says, like the earth is flat as a pancake, or what science says but hasn't caught on yet with mainstream society, the world is round as a ball?. The only way is to research, google, read books and then decide. Just because everyone tells you something it might not be the truth. I believe that's what happened with cholesterol and fat, but I can't tell you what you should think. Facts show that a low carb diet is good for BG and that you will lose weight. If you don't want to starve that leaves you with fat to eat.

Lipids, also known as fats, play many important roles in your body, from providing energy to producing hormones. You wouldn't be able to digest and absorb food properly without lipids. Of course, eating more fat than you need can lead to weight gain, but in proper amounts lipids are a healthy part of your diet.

You also need to remember, when everyone tells you something, it might really be the truth.

And that most facts on google have absolutely no provenance, and that books are written solely to make money for the authors, and the best way to sell is to tell the reader a story they want to hear.

Then make up your mind.

Hotpepper20000

We have to remember that for some high fat low carb does not work as well as it does for others. Something that works for me doesn't mean someone else will be successful with the same path.
The goal is to be healthy both mentally and physically. I choose to be moderate fat and low carb it helps with control of my BG. I do have to keep an eye on the number of calories. But I find it easier when I don't eat too many carbs because then don't tend to over eat.

Reactions: kumera

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just finished reading "The Food Revolution" by Dr Andreas Eenfeldt MD, aka Diet Doctor. It was really good. I grew up in the 70s and believed from an early age that fat is BAD, Cholesterol is BAD, low fat very good and high cholesterol something to avoid. Now I know there's NO scientific reason behind this. People started getting heavier and sicker the more processed food, flour and carbs they ate. I'm angry too as my mother was a T2, and she struggled with her weight and had diet margarine on her bread, never butter, never losing any weight, BG getting worse, and dying from complications at 61 years of age. In the book it's explained how it's almost impossible to lose weight with high sugar in your blood, causing high insulin, which causes fat cells to grow and making you hungry, the book explains it much better, obviously. I'm still scared of fat and high cholesterol after being brainwashed for years to believe its bad for you, BUT, from today I will eat as much fat as I want, healthy or not, I am not scared of cholesterol anymore. People that got heart-attacks ate fat, yes, but also loads of carbs, and no low fat diet has helped to lower your chances of heart attack. It's a fact! Go LCHF :)
Knowing what you know now, it is right that you are angry that your mother died early due to diabetic complications. The statistics indicate that people with T2 were dying 10 years early due to being overweight and not controlling blood sugars. Millions of people have died unnecessarily due to poor diet advice. You could describe it as a diabetic holocaust.

Reactions: geefull and kumera

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Dr Andreas Enfeld has indeed written a book but he also runs a not for profit website that gives all the information on LCHF absolutely free. You don't even need to register so i hardly think you can accuse him of wanting to be rich. It includes ideas for meals and links to the science backing up the ideas.

You can also find much evidence to support the theory that cholesterol is actually just protective and is present where inflammation has caused damage. Inflammation which can be caused by high carbs. So blaming cholesterol is like blaming firemen for fires because they are present at the scene. Reducing the number of firemen is not going to help put the fires out.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dr Andreas Enfeld has indeed written a book but he also runs a not for profit website that gives all the information on LCHF absolutely free. You don't even need to register so i hardly think you can accuse him of wanting to be rich. It includes ideas for meals and links to the science backing up the ideas.

You can also find much evidence to support the theory that cholesterol is actually just protective and is present where inflammation has caused damage. Inflammation which can be caused by high carbs. So blaming cholesterol is like blaming firemen for fires because they are present at the scene. Reducing the number of firemen is not going to help put the fires out.

$9 a month for membership, unless he has a different website the 'The Diet doctor', as that's the one google takes me to?

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
$9 a month for membership, unless he has a different website the 'The Diet doctor', as that's the one google takes me to?

Yes you can pay for membership which opens up further videos etc on health and helps to pay for the team he has working on the website to spread the message. However you do NOT need to sign up or pay any money at all to benefit from the site and get access to the low carb challenge etc. You evidently don't approve of low carb high fat and that's your prerogative but it has helped thousands of people lose weight and get off diabetic medications and so i do not think you should deride it. There are other ways like the Newcastle diet but for a great many people they would prefer not to suffer the deprivations of such a low calorie diet. Low carb high fat is a lifestyle diet that can be maintained for life and not a quick fix. We all agree there is more that one way to change the course of Type 2 diabetes and I really do not see why you choose to denigrate those that have helped many thousands of people just because it is a different way to the one you chose.
I did choose to pay the membership fee despite not actually feeling a need to view the additional videos (which to be fair he often puts on the free site anyway) because I believe the message is an important one to get out there to the people who need it and can benefit from it.
The site is www.dietdoctor.com

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes you can pay for membership which opens up further videos etc on health and helps to pay for the team he has working on the website to spread the message. However you do NOT need to sign up or pay any money at all to benefit from the site and get access to the low carb challenge etc. You evidently don't approve of low carb high fat and that's your prerogative but it has helped thousands of people lose weight and get off diabetic medications and so i do not think you should deride it. There are other ways like the Newcastle diet but for a great many people they would prefer not to suffer the deprivations of such a low calorie diet. Low carb high fat is a lifestyle diet that can be maintained for life and not a quick fix. We all agree there is more that one way to change the course of Type 2 diabetes and I really do not see why you choose to denigrate those that have helped many thousands of people just because it is a different way to the one you chose.
I did choose to pay the membership fee despite not actually feeling a need to view the additional videos (which to be fair he often puts on the free site anyway) because I believe the message is an important one to get out there to the people who need it and can benefit from it.
The site is www.dietdoctor.com

Why?
I point out the dietdoctor charges $9 a month, which you said you pay, (but claim his website is
not for profit, when even he doesn't claim that) and in some way I'm a heretic that evidently doesn't approve of low carb high fat?

I admire him personally.
30,000 members, at $9 a month, $3.24 million a year.
Call it two and a half million pounds per annum he's making out of his website.
Nothing wrong with that, but you'd think he'd build a hospital or two occasionally?

Last edited:

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why?
I point out the dietdoctor charges $9 a month, which you said you pay, (but claim his website is
not for profit, when even he doesn't claim that) and in some way I'm a heretic that evidently doesn't approve of low carb high fat?

Why what?

The website says 'optional membership' and he explains the charge thus:
"The goal of the Diet Doctor organization is to empower people to revolutionize their health. Membership fees – if you choose to stay after the free month – goes to fair wages for the people who work all day improving this site (Team Diet Doctor).
We show no ads, have no products for sale and accept no industry money or sponsorships – ever. The membership fees are our sole source of revenue. We’re fully funded by the people.
Any surplus is reinvested into growing the organization, and we’re growing rapidly. Currently we’re 11 full-time co-workers and many freelancers. Every dollar of your support will be used to the best of our abilities to empower more people."

I'm not sure where you got the 30000 members from. Not every one that follows his website pays the membership - you can get all you need from the free areas of the site.

So do you approve of low carb high fat or not? Every time I have mentioned LCHF in any post you have jumped in and not in a supportive way as far as I can see so if you do support low carb high fat then I have seen no evidence of this and if you do why would you not be supportive of dietdoctor.com - that makes no sense to me. You have previously said you have done ND and been successful on it and that's great and presumably the right choice for you but others may choose another path.

S

serenity648

Why what?

"The goal of the Diet Doctor organization is to empower people to revolutionize their health. Membership fees – if you choose to stay after the free month – goes to fair wages for the people who work all day improving this site (Team Diet Doctor).
We show no ads, have no products for sale and accept no industry money or sponsorships – ever. The membership fees are our sole source of revenue. We’re fully funded by the people.
Any surplus is reinvested into growing the organization, and we’re growing rapidly. Currently we’re 11 full-time co-workers and many freelancers. Every dollar of your support will be used to the best of our abilities to empower more people."

So do you approve of low carb high fat or not? Every time I have mentioned LCHF in any post you have jumped in and not in a supportive way as far as I can see so if you do support low carb high fat then I have seen no evidence of this and if you do why would you not be supportive of dietdoctor.com - that makes no sense to me. You have previously said you have done ND and been successful on it and that's great and presumably the right choice for you but others may choose another path.

Some people seem to object to anyone being able to actually pay bills and eat while spending their lives improving ours.I expect if these people doing the research and making websites to help us had private means, they would be slated for being rich or something too.

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people seem to object to anyone being able to actually pay bills and eat while spending their lives improving ours.I expect if these people doing the research and making websites to help us had private means, they would be slated for being rich or something too.

Yes it's odd isn't it. Personally I would not object even if Dietdoctor was reining in the money for himself (which he isn't) because I am eternally grateful to him for transforming my life and my health in such an amazing way.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Why what?

I'm not sure where you got the 30000 members from. Not every one that follows his website pays the membership - you can get all you need from the free areas of the site.

Erm, he doesn't exactly hide it.
But I doubt many do the maths.

Quick facts about Diet Doctor

Purpose: Empowering people everywhere to revolutionize their health.
Mission: Making low carb simple.
Values: Trustworthiness, Simplicity, Inspiration, and Goodness.
Founded in 2011, after Swedish beginnings in 2007. Learn more
Fast-growing, now 12 full-time co-workers and about 20 freelancers, moderators and partners. Do you want to join us? Visit our careers page.
Over 150,000 visits per day, making it the largest low-carb site in the world.
No money from industry, no products for sale, no ads.
Fully funded by the people – over 30,000 members.
Free (membership optional).

https://www.dietdoctor.com/about

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Fast-growing, now 12 full-time co-workers and about 20 freelancers, moderators and partners. Do you want to join us? Visit our careers page.

And your problem with this is?
You haven't answered my question on whether you are supportive of Low carb high fat or not (as an option just like ND is)
Oh and I realised I was looking at the old membership numbers of 17500 in July last year. Any site that gives away everything you need for free and yet still manages to double it's membership numbers in under 9 months must be doing something right!

Last edited:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I don't really care either way what anyone chooses to eat to be honest.
Find the diet that suits you.
And I have no problem with answering you question as to where the figure for 30,000 members came from.
I can't help it if you don't like the answer.

I just like to dispel the smoke and mirrors, even if some facts some a bit bothersome occasionally.
Everyone deserves the right to choose wisely.

S

serenity648

approx 30 full time workers, at average $40,000 pa is $1.25 million straight off that assumed total you have. Then all the costs, video links, website fees etc etc. and you think he is making a killing at this?

S

serenity648

I don't really care either way what anyone chooses to eat to be honest.
Find the diet that suits you.
And I have no problem with answering you question as to where the figure for 30,000 members came from.
I can't help it if you don't like the answer.

I just like to dispel the smoke and mirrors, even if some facts some a bit bothersome occasionally.
Everyone deserves the right to choose wisely.
right. you are not supportive of LCHF. you are neutral. OK. Got it.