douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
right. you are not supportive of LCHF. you are neutral. OK. Got it.
I didn't say that either, so I'm not quite sure what you got.
I believe in letting people decide their own fate, based on as many facts as possible.

Last edited:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
approx 30 full time workers, at average $40,000 pa is $1.25 million straight off that assumed total you have. Then all the costs, video links, website fees etc etc. and you think he is making a killing at this?
No, he's growing a brand, like any business would be.
The company profit is listed as about 10% of turnover.
The company assets are a quarter of a million euros last year.

Last edited:

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed...o-link-between-cholesterol-and-heart-disease/
You can find anything you want on the net, but is it scientifically proven? I bet I can find as many sites saying cholesterol is safe as you can find the opposite :) And you don't have to buy the book to start a low carb diet. Just eat good food :D It's the medical companies that is getting rich from unnecessary medication. Much bigger money than some authors of cookbooks getting rich. I usually wouldn't follow any fad diet, but when I can prove to myself with my BG meter that my blood sugar is getting lower, I'm feeling healthier, look slimmer, I would be stupid going back to my ice cream and chips days. If you feel good with whatever you eat, that's just great :)
True that you can find all sorts of information. My arteries are free from plaques (cardiac MRIs and ultrasounds during some cardiac research) and I want to keep it that way. If you had read the link you posted that even the researchers acknowledged the inadequacies of their research!

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No, he's growing a brand, like any business would be.
The company profit is listed as about 10% of turnover.
The company assets are a quarter of a million euros.

So you are objecting to someone making a living while transforming millions of lives for the better. As far as I am concerned, as I said above - even if he was keeping all the money for himself I would not begrudge him a single penny of it since he has had the effect of not only transforming my life and my health but that of hundreds of thousands of others. In fact he isn't making a huge killing of it - as he says the profits are reinvested in growing the band of workers who help to spread the message. You could only object to that if you objected to the message. Why do you object to the message when it has improved the health of so many people? Why would you want people to be kept sick and ignorant rather than have someone make a living from what they do to help?
Again I note the membership numbers have doubled in under 9 months on a site where all the information you actually need to be able to follow the LCHF way of life including recipes and food lists and science links etc are free so he must be doing something right.
He is giving people facts - you claim to believe in giving people facts so what is your problem with this particular site?
He gave up his doctors practice to concentrate on spreading a message he believes in and that has worked for so many and he has to pay for the offices and website and wages of his workers out of those membership fees.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Dr Andreas Enfeld has indeed written a book but he also runs a not for profit website that gives all the information on LCHF absolutely free. You don't even need to register so i hardly think you can accuse him of wanting to be rich. It includes ideas for meals and links to the science backing up the ideas.

You can also find much evidence to support the theory that cholesterol is actually just protective and is present where inflammation has caused damage. Inflammation which can be caused by high carbs. So blaming cholesterol is like blaming firemen for fires because they are present at the scene. Reducing the number of firemen is not going to help put the fires out.
If Cholesterol is in part causing arterial plaques then I would rather have it low than high. I have been on a statin since taking part in the ASCOT study, have low cholesterol and no plaques.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
So you are objecting to someone making a living while transforming millions of lives for the better. As far as I am concerned, as I said above - even if he was keeping all the money for himself I would not begrudge him a single penny of it since he has had the effect of not only transforming my life and my health but that of hundreds of thousands of others. In fact he isn't making a huge killing of it - as he says the profits are reinvested in growing the band of workers who help to spread the message. You could only object to that if you objected to the message. Why do you object to the message when it has improved the health of so many people? Why would you want people to be kept sick and ignorant rather than have someone make a living from what they do to help?
Again I note the membership numbers have doubled in under 9 months on a site where all the information you actually need to be able to follow the LCHF way of life including recipes and food lists and science links etc are free so he must be doing something right.
He is giving people facts - you claim to believe in giving people facts so what is your problem with this particular site?
He gave up his doctors practice to concentrate on spreading a message he believes in and that has worked for so many and he has to pay for the offices and website and wages of his workers out of those membership fees.
Are you sure that the Diet Doctor is pointing you to all the science or just that which supports his ideas? It is amazing how persuasive a charismatic character can be. Remember the MMR doctor - now struck-off. An interesting look at the Diet Doctor and science: http://plantpositive.com/37-cherry-picked-research-by-a/

By the way, he did not give up a career in clinical research or as a consultant in cardiac health or nutrition. He was only a GP.

Last edited:

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If Cholesterol is in part causing arterial plaques then I would rather have it low than high. I have been on a statin since taking part in the ASCOT study, have low cholesterol and no plaques.
Everyone is free to make their own choices but its good to have both sides of the story and for me there was enough scientific evidence that cholesterol was not a major factor in heart disease for me to be sure I would never take a statin. As it happens the low carb high fat diet improved my lipid profile significantly so my doctor no longer offered me a statin anyway. And I hope that by avoiding the damage done by high carb diets ,the cholesterol I do have will not be having to repair any damage so wont be making any plaques. There does also seem to be evidence that higher cholesterol is better than low for older people and that taking a statin has not helped women in general. I'm also not prepared to risk the side effects and have heard too many stories of people effectively crippled by them and so no longer taking the exercise which would have been helpful in keeping them healthy. The fact statins are known to increase blood sugar levels is also a worry and their effects on coQ10 which is not mentioned by UK doctors (though it is prescribed along with statins in Germany). The artificial lowering of what is acceptable levels also seems to coincide with statin manufacturers wanting to push more drugs on to us.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Are you sure that the Diet Doctor is pointing you to all the science or just that which supports his ideas? It is amazing how persuasive a charismatic character can be. Remember the MMR doctor - now struck-off. An interesting look at the Diet Doctor and science: http://plantpositive.com/37-cherry-picked-research-by-a/
Everyone is free to make their own choices but its good to have both sides of the story and for me there was enough scientific evidence that cholesterol was not a major factor in heart disease for me to be sure I would never take a statin. As it happens the low carb high fat diet improved my lipid profile significantly so my doctor no longer offered me a statin anyway. And I hope that by avoiding the damage done by high carb diets ,the cholesterol I do have will not be having to repair any damage so wont be making any plaques. There does also seem to be evidence that higher cholesterol is better than low for older people and that taking a statin has not helped women in general. I'm also not prepared to risk the side effects and have heard too many stories of people effectively crippled by them and so no longer taking the exercise which would have been helpful in keeping them healthy. The fact statins are known to increase blood sugar levels is also a worry and their effects on coQ10 which is not mentioned by UK doctors (though it is prescribed along with statins in Germany). The artificial lowering of what is acceptable levels also seems to coincide with statin manufacturers wanting to push more drugs on to us.
I was part of a lengthy international piece of research called the ASCOT study. The statin arm of the study was terminated before it was due for ethical reasons. The findings of protection against cardiac events were so positive that it was no longer ethical to keep those who were not on a statin in that situation. Ethics demanded that all participants be given a statin. As to the side effects - you never hear from those who have no problems with taking them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Struma

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

By the way, he did not give up a career in clinical research or as a consultant in cardiac health or nutrition. He was only a GP.
Actually yes I am pretty sure and also that plant positive is a vegan advocacy site and we all know vegans are opposed to sat fat on principle as it mostly comes from animal sources. I've read that piece before and looked at the evidence and this guy quoted Taubes as if Diet doctor doesn't agree with Taubes when in fact he has videos by Taubes on his site. Much of the rest is slightly over the top diet doctor bashing. If you go through all the studies over the years that have been used to support the protective effects of whole grains etc they are just about all comparing whole grain vs refined grain or high carb with higher carb. There have not been any studies that properly compare a ketogenic diet vs a low fat vegan diet My view is that both ketogenic and vegan diets may be successful in helping people with diabetes as the extremes of low fat and high carb do seem to work for some ,while low carb and high fat seem to work for many more.
What we might all agree on is the Eatwell plate doesn't work well for any diabetics. Beyond that whether you choose vegan or LCHF is probably a mater of personal preference and body chemistry and also I have seen for myself that LCHF works so the science on dietdoctor while interesting is secondary to the fact that it simply works for me and for thousands of others.
I only mention that he gave up being a doctor - I know he was a GP - to illustrate the fact that he had to make a living somehow and if that is through the member subscriptions enabling him to devote himself full-time to dietdoctor.com then that is all good!

Last edited:

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was part of a lengthy international piece of research called the ASCOT study. The statin arm of the study was terminated before it was due to for ethical reasons. The findings of protection against cardiac events were so positive that it was no longer ethical to keep those who were not on a statin in that situation. Ethics demanded that all participants be given a statin. As to the side effects - you never hear from those who have no problems with taking them.
But there does seem to be far more than the 10% who suffer side effects. Plus presumably like all studies there is a pretrial period during which anyone with an adverse reaction would be excluded before it started. Plus this article suggests that the differences were more to do with the BP lowering effects of other medications in the trial. And LCHF also lowered my BP
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/stor...ny&s=39016f66281a3835afe7d85e2d4ffa14f5ba08bd

S

serenity648

I didn't say that either, so I'm not quite sure what you got.
I believe in letting people decide their own fate, based on as many facts as possible.
exactly. you are neutral, not in favour of any particular diet, but in favour of whichever diet someone chooses, which works for them. I am the same.

I am in favour of LCHF for me, at this time, as that works for me. And in favour of sharing my experience to help others make their own choices.

So its seems like (please dont faint, I know this is rare) we agree!!!:)

Reactions: kumera
S

serenity648

He gave up his job, whatever it was, so needs to earn a living while working on his new business. I have no problem with that.

Reactions: kumera
S

serenity648

The findings of protection against cardiac events were so positive that it was no longer ethical to keep those who were not on a statin in that situation. Ethics demanded that all participants be given a statin. .
Could i please have a link or keyword to find this evidence? This is an important point as I thought statins only had a minuscule effect on cholesterol levels, and were found to have few benefits in people who naturally appear to be able to maintain levels of under 6.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

I have no problems, he obviously found a good business model, and is developing it well in the style that the customers want, and upselling to grow the business.
I think you may be getting slightly confused over the idea of a limited business though, as he and Johan are the only two shareholders, everything they plough back into the business simply increases the value of their shares, for when the company is either sold wholesale, or publicly floated, It's the classic dot com model.

I really can't see why you object to the idea it's actually a business, and a very profitable one, run in exactly the way a private company should be, for maximum growth, and maximum future returns, with minimal tax payments in the first years?

S

serenity648

I havent notice anyone object to it being a business, or referring to it as anything other than a business. Most of the posts about him have been about his business model.

My objection is to the insinuation, from you, that his is somehow inferior, or has questionable motive, because he is charging for membership.And yes, that is how I am reading your posts against him running it as a business.

My GP gets paid, he is not doing it purely out of the goodness of his heart. Its a career and a living. The two reasons for being a GP are, in my view, neither wrong nor suspect.

If this is not your insinuation, please can you expand on your views against him charging an optional membership fee to those who wish to support him by investing $9 a month to back his further research and spread his message further?

having a limited business seems sensible to me, as new businesses, in particular, are vulnerable.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It's getting quite funny now, as my first post actually said
.............I admire him personally..........

It just seems amazing there is so much disgust at discussing his actual business model.
You did all know this before right?
And did the research before committing to £85 a year?

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's getting quite funny now, as my first post actually said

It just seems amazing there is so much disgust at discussing his actual business model.
You did all know this before right?
And did the research before committing to £85 a year?

But you are not admiring him for the fact he has helped so many thousands of people to enjoy a healthy life. You are purely admiring him because you believe his business model is making him rich. We have pointed out that he is not personally getting all the membership money for himself but paying a staff and offices and has declared that they plough all the money back in to help grow the team to get the message out wider.

Now if you admired him for the message he is spreading and the good he is doing then that's one thing but you are suggesting he is just in it for the money which I think it wholly unfair. He is not upselling anything - they have no products on the site, take no ads, no sponsorship. The membership is optional and anyone can get enough info to succeed at Low carb high fat without paying a penny.

I am very happy that my money is going into helping him and his team spread the message and keep it free for those who cannot afford to pay for the information. Anyone is able to try out the free parts of the site (which is most of it including the low carb challenge, the food lists, many interviews and videos etc etc.) for as long as they want and even the benefits of membership are free for a whole month before you commit anything and you can stop at any time you like.

You can claim all you like that he is doing the whole thing just to make massive amounts of money and float it as a business but you absolutely cannot know this. And as I have said, even if he was, then on the way he is doing massive amounts of good, helping hundreds of thousands of people to lose weight and to cure/reverse type 2 diabetes and if in the end he was able to make massive amounts of money from it, I would say good on him and he would still be a personal hero for giving me back my life and my health and doing the same for what hopefully, ultimately, will be millions more.

You say you don't care what people eat but you seem to object to people getting the facts on low carb high fat if it means someone, somewhere, might get paid.for something.

If it's funny to you and you think you are right then enjoy your position of superior knowledge and I will enjoy my good health and helping others to gain it too. There is nowhere else that has such a huge body of info on low carb and related diets and takes the input of so many scientists I admire, Taubes, Fung, Dr David Unwin from this very group etc etc and gives that away for free to people who need it.

In order to choose a diet that works for you ,you need to have the facts about it. Dietdoctor.com gives people those facts about low carb diets and I hope this conversation has sent a few more people to the dietdoctor.com site.

Last edited:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I'm not sure what the Newcastle diet has to do with it? LCHF and ND are 2 different eating plans. The ND is temporary for 8 weeks and often with artificial food. LCHF is a way of eating that hopefully lasts a life time. The less carbs you eat the more fat you need. It has to be balanced. No-one suggests eating kilos of butter at one sitting, just ditching any low fat highly processed alternatives and no longer being afraid of the real thing.

I beg to differ, I have lost over 5 stone and have maintained it for over 7 years now and have never added extra fat to my diet, Im not scared of fat and dont avoid it, I just dont any eat extra as whenever I have eaten more daily fat I have put weight on.

I eat less of everything but especially carbs and I still probably eat more than I should.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I beg to differ, I have lost over 5 stone and have maintained it for over 7 years now and have never added extra fat to my diet, Im not scared of fat and dont avoid it, I just dont any eat extra as whenever I have eaten more daily fat I have put weight on.

I eat less of everything but especially carbs and I still probably eat more than I should.
As I said in a previous thread Sid, I reckon your 'not adding fat', and my normal 'high fat' probably amount to the same thing as I was very low fat before. :)

Like the thread title says we are also both eating as much fat as we want. :)