kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just finished reading "The Food Revolution" by Dr Andreas Eenfeldt MD, aka Diet Doctor. It was really good. I grew up in the 70s and believed from an early age that fat is BAD, Cholesterol is BAD, low fat very good and high cholesterol something to avoid. Now I know there's NO scientific reason behind this. People started getting heavier and sicker the more processed food, flour and carbs they ate. I'm angry too as my mother was a T2, and she struggled with her weight and had diet margarine on her bread, never butter, never losing any weight, BG getting worse, and dying from complications at 61 years of age. In the book it's explained how it's almost impossible to lose weight with high sugar in your blood, causing high insulin, which causes fat cells to grow and making you hungry, the book explains it much better, obviously. I'm still scared of fat and high cholesterol after being brainwashed for years to believe its bad for you, BUT, from today I will eat as much fat as I want, healthy or not, I am not scared of cholesterol anymore. People that got heart-attacks ate fat, yes, but also loads of carbs, and no low fat diet has helped to lower your chances of heart attack. It's a fact! Go LCHF :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Since discovering the same information as you have. I have found that saturated fat helps with my health and I fry my eggs and other foods.
I was brain washed by my doctors and dsns for well over a decade and just kept putting weight on!

Reactions: bkr

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
The LCHF diet is not about eating kilos of fat of any description. The Newcastle research was about calorie restriction.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The LCHF diet is not about eating kilos of fat of any description. The Newcastle research was about calorie restriction.

I'm not sure what the Newcastle diet has to do with it? LCHF and ND are 2 different eating plans. The ND is temporary for 8 weeks and often with artificial food. LCHF is a way of eating that hopefully lasts a life time. The less carbs you eat the more fat you need. It has to be balanced. No-one suggests eating kilos of butter at one sitting, just ditching any low fat highly processed alternatives and no longer being afraid of the real thing.

LIAnneB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just finished reading "The Food Revolution" by Dr Andreas Eenfeldt MD, aka Diet Doctor. It was really good. I grew up in the 70s and believed from an early age that fat is BAD, Cholesterol is BAD, low fat very good and high cholesterol something to avoid. Now I know there's NO scientific reason behind this. People started getting heavier and sicker the more processed food, flour and carbs they ate. I'm angry too as my mother was a T2, and she struggled with her weight and had diet margarine on her bread, never butter, never losing any weight, BG getting worse, and dying from complications at 61 years of age. In the book it's explained how it's almost impossible to lose weight with high sugar in your blood, causing high insulin, which causes fat cells to grow and making you hungry, the book explains it much better, obviously. I'm still scared of fat and high cholesterol after being brainwashed for years to believe its bad for you, BUT, from today I will eat as much fat as I want, healthy or not, I am not scared of cholesterol anymore. People that got heart-attacks ate fat, yes, but also loads of carbs, and no low fat diet has helped to lower your chances of heart attack. It's a fact! Go LCHF :)
I cannot find the book The Food Revolution by Dr Andeas Eenfeldt on Amazon can you please tell me where I can get it..Thank you

S

serenity648

Are there different types of fat, eg. 'Good' fats my body uses for energy and 'Bad' fats that make me put on weight and clogs up my arteries?

If so, which are the good and bad ones, and how does my body know how to use them differently?

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
I'm not sure what the Newcastle diet has to do with it? LCHF and ND are 2 different eating plans. The ND is temporary for 8 weeks and often with artificial food. LCHF is a way of eating that hopefully lasts a life time. The less carbs you eat the more fat you need. It has to be balanced. No-one suggests eating kilos of butter at one sitting, just ditching any low fat highly processed alternatives and no longer being afraid of the real thing.
LCHF was, following The Newcastle research, the follow-on diet from the severe calorie restriction for 8 weeks. It was the severe calorie restriction that was found to bring about the remission/medication reduction.

You state that in taking in fewer carbs you need to have more fat in your diet. I am not sure that that is necessarily so. If you are still carrying excess fat in your body than that fat will supply the energy you need. It is only when you have reduced your body fat to normal levels that you would need to increase the dietary fat to avoid the body starting to utilise muscle material for energy - not good as the heart is a muscle!

Low fat does not necessarily mean highly processed. Lean protein/meat is not, as a rule, highly processed.

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
LCHF was, following The Newcastle research, the follow-on diet from the severe calorie restriction for 8 weeks. It was the severe calorie restriction that was found to bring about the remission/medication reduction.

You state that in taking in fewer carbs you need to have more fat in your diet. I am not sure that that is necessarily so. If you are still carrying excess fat in your body than that fat will supply the energy you need. It is only when you have reduced your body fat to normal levels that you would need to increase the dietary fat to avoid the body starting to utilise muscle material for energy - not good as the heart is a muscle!

Low fat does not necessarily mean highly processed. Lean protein/meat is not, as a rule, highly processed.

Low carb high fat also works completely independently of the ND. Many people seem to have found they can reduce medication/ induce remission by following LCHF without the severe calorie restriction of ND. Most people lose weight effortlessly and without hunger following Low carb high fat lifestyle. I prefer LCHF and intermittent fasting over a severe deprivation diet like ND though if you are willing to put yourself through it then no doubt it works for some.
Also not all diabetics are carrying much if any excess fat and if you are cutting out carbs you do need to have something to replace it with. The point is that fat (apart from trans fat) is not bad for you and does not make you fat (in fact seems to make you thinner than the equivalent amount of carbs) so there is no reason to eat low fat unless you want to.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
I agree that not all diabetics are overweight but many are. For a lot of diabetics losing weight will increase insulin sensitivity and also lead to reduced BP and better results for the other issues of metabolic syndrome.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Saturated fats are the healthy ones. Polyunsatured fats are the unlhealthy man made rubbish.
Please do your research before you hit the keyboard. Good foods like olives and avocados have polyunsaturated fat in them and are not unhealthy man made rubbish.

Reactions: Avocado Sevenfold

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please do your research before you hit the keyboard. Good foods like olives and avocados have polyunsaturated fat in them and are not unhealthy man made rubbish.

Nearly everything with fat in it has elements of mono, poly and saturated fat. I think @Jamesuk9 means that vegetable oils that are high;y processed contain a high proportion of PUFA's which aren't considered very good for us, although I wouldn't want to put words in his mouth. If you look at the ratios of poly unsaturated to saturated fat in say corn oil and avocado oil they are very different beasts.

Reactions: Ultramum

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
I agree with you. There is a need, however, when you are dealing with health issues, not to make unfounded statements. A lot of people are looking for advice or learning.

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I cannot find the book The Food Revolution by Dr Andeas Eenfeldt on Amazon can you please tell me where I can get it..Thank you
It should be on Amazon, the title is: Low carb High fat food revolution. I bought mine from Mighty Ape NZ but I think they're sold out :) low fat high carb food revolution.jpg

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I was referring to processed fat. I am fully aware of the benefits of natural healthy fat. I did say man made.

Reactions: Ultramum

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's right, I started off eating low carb, low fat as I was worried about eating fat. I did lose weight fast, but it was not a diet I could have sustained over a longer period of time. I just kept losing weight and couldn't stop the weight loss until I added more fat. I started using actual cream in sauces instead of low fat versions, added more nuts, ate the chicken skin after keeping away from it for years. Had creamy Havarti in my salads.. and I'm full after every meal now. The only fat I keep away from is trans fat as it's not natural!

Saturated fat refers to a group of fatty acids, each with its own properties and characteristics. Some of the saturated fatty acids may be healthy, while others less so, and more research needs to be conducted so consumers can make better diet choices. Despite saturated fats potential health benefits, saturated fat has long been associated with increased risk of heart disease, stroke, and even cancer. While such evidence is controversial, it still doesn't hurt to limit intake of saturated fats. The key word being limit and not eliminate. Don't substitute anything with trans fats, or margarine, as they are now seen as being even worse for health than natural saturated fats.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
LCHF was, following The Newcastle research, the follow-on diet from the severe calorie restriction for 8 weeks.

No, it wasn't. It was the Mediterranean diet that was the recommended follow on plan.

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is from Amazons Page about the Low Carb High Fat Food revolution. If you read the book you will be wondering if everything you were taught is false. I believe in science and if it's not proven scientifically that cholesterol will kill you, and that the research that proves it's dangerous is faulty, why be scared of getting high cholesterol?? That said, if you do have a history of heart attacks I would follow my doctors advice. I am not a medical person!

Low Carb High Fat Food revolution..

You hear miraculous stories in the news all the time—a man loses 370 pounds, another is able to return ten of his twelve medications at the pharmacy, and an epileptic child suddenly stops having seizures—each experiences a miraculous change in health, all from simply changing his or her diet. Fascinatingly, these stories all have one thing in common; the subjects started eating the opposite of what they had previously been told was healthy. The dietary guidelines they had learned growing up had failed them.

Medical science has long turned a blind eye to such stories. But now the tide is changing, as more and more major studies are being conducted on what the body truly needs to survive—and the findings are alarming. The belief in eating less fat and less saturated fat is mistaken. Inadvertently, this advice may be the biggest reason behind the obesity and diabetes epidemic. It’s time to take a stand; it’s time for real food again!

In Low Carb, High Fat Food Revolution, Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt takes the offensive by exploring the severe systematic failures on which many of today’s dietary guidelines are based. For Eenfeldt’s patients, the solution has been a low-carb, high-fat diet that allows you to eat your fill—and still lose weight. The book concludes with a guide section full of tips and recipes—everything you need to start your own food revolution.

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
GoodVSBad.jpg
Are there different types of fat, eg. 'Good' fats my body uses for energy and 'Bad' fats that make me put on weight and clogs up my arteries?

If so, which are the good and bad ones, and how does my body know how to use them differently?
Hi, You really have to make up your own mind about fat. Do you believe what everybody says, like the earth is flat as a pancake, or what science says but hasn't caught on yet with mainstream society, the world is round as a ball?. The only way is to research, google, read books and then decide. Just because everyone tells you something it might not be the truth. I believe that's what happened with cholesterol and fat, but I can't tell you what you should think. Facts show that a low carb diet is good for BG and that you will lose weight. If you don't want to starve that leaves you with fat to eat.

Lipids, also known as fats, play many important roles in your body, from providing energy to producing hormones. You wouldn't be able to digest and absorb food properly without lipids. Of course, eating more fat than you need can lead to weight gain, but in proper amounts lipids are a healthy part of your diet.

Reactions: Guzzler