Prof Roy Taylor of Newcastle University

JoycieW

Just discovered the work of Roy Taylor about reversal of T2D. Some interesting videos available on YouTube. Has anyone tried a 15% weight loss? Did it make a difference? How did you cope?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just discovered the work of Roy Taylor about reversal of T2D. Some interesting videos available on YouTube. Has anyone tried a 15% weight loss? Did it make a difference? How did you cope?

I haven´t done it in the Newcastle way, did 6 month on 1000 calories right from my diagnosis, have lost 37 kg now from my maximum weight now 76.5 kg today.. my diabetes is inder coontrol my HbA1c is in the non diabetic level.. my total weight loss is 32.45 % , I also did intermittent fasting for 4 month....which also helps a lot
It also seems I can eat a rather high level of carbs without much trouble now... but if I did that continuingly my diabetes will surely show again its terrible dragon head.. but my blood glucose numbers return to normal rather fast from a high carb level meal now .. sometimes even lower than right before the meal... like 5.6 to 7.2 and then back to 5.2 after eating 75 grams of carbs in one meal.
But added to this picture I need to say that I do exercise very very much to regain insuline sensitivity in muscles where if one do build up the body its muscles to a maximum, one can raise insuline sensitivity around 30% on average, and it seems to have worked for me...

every thing you can do to help your body counts.. so if one has the possibillity to both do diet count carbs and do exercise and build muscles... then do it all for God sake..... the better ones chances are to return to normal or almost normal,
I will keep considering myself being diabetic as when I would not take care I am sure I would get diabetes again..

Last edited:
Reactions: jonbvn and JoycieW

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I lost just over 15% of my weight. It didn't make any difference at all to my T2. It works for some people so it's worth a try :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I might try it once new insulin regime settled in. So no confusion.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
When I was diagnosed the diabetic nurse, dn, said they would me in touch about the Desmond course and told me about the 600 calorie per day diet which involved buying the optifast drinks. Years ago a shake diet was very popular and a couple of colleagues made thenselves very ill. After a bit of research I was sure that diet was not for me. A major part of that decision was reading about peoples experiences with the diet. They lost weight but then returned to their old diet and put it all back on again. It takes about 6 weeks to create a "new normal" and I just did not feel the need to lose a lot of weight fast. I know some people have reasons to do so. For me slow and steady weight adjustment with a "better" eating patten for life is the way to go but we are all different. If you are on meds you often need to be careful with any change in your diet and imho any diet that restricts the calories to that extent should only be undertaken with close medical supervision and my health profesionals simply to not have that sort of time available to them.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
MIne did, it worked brilliantly, and reversed my diabetes.
I haven't read anyone that reversed their diabetes on the Newcastle diet, and still returned to their old way of eating?

Any links?

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am sure that the most important factor in obtaining a reversal/remission/resolution of T2D is significant weight loss, and it seems the quicker that is achieved the more likely you are to reach one of the above.

Reactions: ickihun

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

It's actually not too hard to cope.
You have a target, you get there.
After a couple of days, you realise eating until you are full is just habit.
Eating beyond being full is just boredom.
So I do something else.

And when you get to your target, you aren't obliged to eat like an idiot, and put it all back on, although I do agree, some say they will.
That's the difference in people though.
It's down to you.
Food doesn't 'push itself into you.

Upside, you can have a good night out so long as you get on the scales the next day.

I have just been out, to a local beer festival.
About 5 pints (of the really bad 'liquid bread')
Beefburger, on a nice, soft white roll.
Slice of cake, with a jam filling.
Tested when I got back

Yes, if I have no willpower, and do it every night, I'll put in weight, and be back to square one.
I bought bathroom scales.
If my weight goes up, I find if I reduce the amount of calories I eat, it goes down again.

Reactions: Fleegle

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @JoycieW

There are people who have success with Newcastle diet method. Professor Taylor also supports the approach of Dr Michael Mosley, in his book 'the 8-week blood sugar diet'.

You may find more information and several threads about this topic in the Food and Nutrition section, Low calorie diets. You get to this by clicking the tab 'Forums' which is just above the title of your thread here.

Hope this will be of use.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I would have done the Newcastle Diet had I known about it. Instead I lost circa 13% of diagnosis weight by building up my work out regime, to silly levels, reducing obvious carbs, but still having home made soda bread with mackerel / salmon and also home made xylitol based cakes. This got me HbA1c's of 41 and 42. I then switched to LCHF and a smarter HiiT based exercise plan for a HbA1c of 35. I have switched again to heavier weights whilst having loads of berries and nuts, which has netted a HbA1c of 36 - this can get me lower fbg, but I think the heavy berries and nuts keeps my awake average at mid 5's. I know when I have bacon, eggs, mushrooms my operational average is lower. I am now going to lower my intake of berries and nuts, and am biasing towards vegetables (with heavy weights and HiiT) - loving it.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I would have done the Newcastle Diet had I known about it. Instead I lost circa 13% of diagnosis weight by building up my work out regime, to silly levels, reducing obvious carbs, but still having home made soda bread with mackerel / salmon and also home made xylitol based cakes. This got me HbA1c's of 41 and 42. I then switched to LCHF and a smarter HiiT based exercise plan for a HbA1c of 35. I have switched again to heavier weights whilst having loads of berries and nuts, which has netted a HbA1c of 36 - this can get me lower fbg, but I think the heavy berries and nuts keeps my awake average at mid 5's. I know when I have bacon, eggs, mushrooms my operational average is lower. I am now going to lower my intake of berries and nuts, and am biasing towards vegetables (with heavy weights and HiiT) - loving it.

Have you reversed your T2?
What are you like on a carb heavy meal?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Have you reversed your T2?
What are you like on a carb heavy meal?
Hi @douglas99, I am comfortable with using "reversed" as my regime has not seen diabetic A1c's for 2 years. I know I could eat less and exercise more if needed, and would have done anything to obtain normal numbers.

I could not face a carb heavy meal, due to previously eating what I thought was healthy most of the time, just to end up with diabetes, e.g. punnets of grapes, home made pancakes with unsweetened lemon juice, bananas, oranges, over a litre of pure orange juice a day (I was doing these to excess as well as extra strong mints (had no idea how sugary these were)). I would have maybe 4 pints of orange and lemonade a year at networking, no other fizzy drinks and no sugar in tea or coffee. So mentally I hate mainstream carbs, I have researched rice, potatoes, pasta, bread and similar and they are not for me, and never liked really sweet desserts. I have no idea how many calories I consume, I think it is around 3000 - 3250 a day, as I normally do an extra large bowl of berries, nuts, yogurt, seeds and spices for breakfast. For my second meal my wife normally does a LCHF meal, and I follow with a regular size bowl of berries, nuts, etc again. In reality I am conceptually a failed vegan, I eat less meat, as it sits heavy with me and love fish.

Last edited:

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My cgm reading are now in the non diabetic range the vast majority of the time, two recent carby meals did cause spikes, t the 9.s but the numbers had come well back down within 90minutes.

i lost 26 kilos about 22% body weight, but the biggest driver to the blood sugars is that I did that via a low carb diet.

its way to early to tell if I reversed anything - but everything seems to be under control with NO DRUGS via this method.

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Although I was not necessarily trying to lose weight, I lost about 18% of my diagnosis weight on LC diet. It didn't cure me, but low carb does help with control.

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Although I was not necessarily trying to lose weight, I lost about 18% of my diagnosis weight on LC diet. It didn't cure me, but low carb does help with control.
Same for me, lost 12% of body weight, BMI of 20 now, not cured, but steady BG on low carb diet.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone tried a 15% weight loss? Did it make a difference?

No weightloss over the last 2 years. My weight has remain fairly constant around 75kg +/- 2kg.

But my glucose control has improved significantly. FBG 5.0~5.5 mmol.

Low carbs heavenly fats and occasional fasting is my preferred choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Speedbird

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
YES INDEED It worked for me. Go to google and look for Guardian newspaper uk Richard Doughty type 2 reversed and see the little video from Carlos.Richard was my height so his weight story was my guide, and Carlos was such a heroic story that way my inspiration. Good luck

Reactions: Serena51 and Freema

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Same for me, lost 12% of body weight, BMI of 20 now, not cured, but steady BG on low carb diet.
Some of the people need to go BELOW BMI 20. Some need to lose 20% of previous weight.

Reactions: Freema