Mrs May has her chips!

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
I see on the news last night and this morning, the reporters are all passing comments on Mrs May looking awkward ting a cone of chips on her campaign trail yesterday; however no-one yet has linked it to her T1, and I would expect she would not want to eat too many and risk a spike in her BGs, when it might be difficult to take her meds? I have often wondered how she (and other folk in very public life) manage to keep good control when diet choice may throw up issues during a working day.

Certainly being on lchf, the last thing I would want would be to be handed a pile of chips and expected to consume in front of the camera (I'm used to being filmed, though not much since diagnosed with D).

Reactions: dbr10 and Freema

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
That's interesting but then the media are pretty stupid aren't they.

I'm sure TM would be very good at politely refusing something that would affect her health.

Reactions: KezG and dbr10

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No reason why she cant eat chips (i do sometimes and i eat below 20g carbs a day, on average. And if i do have chips it is occasionally, and just a few).

I doubt if the cameras tracked every bite of the whole portion, and even if they did, she could cover it with insulin.

Its amazing what newspapers will manufacture news out of... Lol.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I see on the news last night and this morning, the reporters are all passing comments on Mrs May looking awkward ting a cone of chips on her campaign trail yesterday; however no-one yet has linked it to her T1, and I would expect she would not want to eat too many and risk a spike in her BGs, when it might be difficult to take her meds? I have often wondered how she (and other folk in very public life) manage to keep good control when diet choice may throw up issues during a working day.

Certainly being on lchf, the last thing I would want would be to be handed a pile of chips and expected to consume in front of the camera (I'm used to being filmed, though not much since diagnosed with D).

I think she may just incorporate diabetes into her lifestyle, rather than letting it become her lifestyle.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Brunneria, @Debzz_ - I think the main concern here is more the difficulty of administering exogenous insulin in the public eye; rather than "what's wrong with a diabetic eating chips?". When you're one of the most likely people in the country to make headline news; you're probably even more likely to do so with an insulin pen hanging out your abdomen or a cone of chips in one hand and a BG monitor in the other:)

As far as I can see, that was the focal point of @Nidge247's post.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Could she be a pumper?

She was started on insulin injections and she now injects herself four times a day while keeping a close watch on her blood sugar levels and what she is eating — not always easy when you’re a politician on the global stage. (Source - Dr Roger Henderson - Spectator, Health - Diabetes, July 2016)

Most news reports have said that she takes four insulin injections a day, and there has been no mention of her using an insulin pump or a continuous glucose monitor (CGM). (Source - Miriam Tucker, WebMD UK Health News, July 2016)

Leaving Number 10 after a fantastic tour and standing outside the famous black door with my omnipod insulin pump on my back and my FreeStyleLibre on my arm reminded me that I can do anything I put my mind to.

Theresa May lives with type 1 diabetes and studied geography at university. Two similarities with me – perhaps I could be the next Prime Minister!
(Source - Lydia Parkhurst, JDRF, No 10 visit March 2017)

So, maybe not.

lindisfel

Expert
Degree in geography! Well, May may be able to trump Trump she'll know where Brussels is!
She was started on insulin injections and she now injects herself four times a day while keeping a close watch on her blood sugar levels and what she is eating — not always easy when you’re a politician on the global stage. (Source - Dr Roger Henderson - Spectator, Health - Diabetes, July 2016)

Most news reports have said that she takes four insulin injections a day, and there has been no mention of her using an insulin pump or a continuous glucose monitor (CGM). (Source - Miriam Tucker, WebMD UK Health News, July 2016)

Leaving Number 10 after a fantastic tour and standing outside the famous black door with my omnipod insulin pump on my back and my FreeStyleLibre on my arm reminded me that I can do anything I put my mind to.

Theresa May lives with type 1 diabetes and studied geography at university. Two similarities with me – perhaps I could be the next Prime Minister!
(Source - Lydia Parkhurst, JDRF, No 10 visit March 2017)

So, maybe not.

Reactions: Bluetit1802
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I don't think that lady has any doubt what's good for the country!
Problem is, I don't agree! :) and there is no viable alternative. :)

That's a new thread then :)