Manager wants to see my appointment letter

rhiannab13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have my diabetic eye screening coming up and I let my employer know saying:
"I have an appointment on... due to the nature of this appointment I would be unable to travel into work afterwards or work from home. Please let me know if this is ok or if you would like to discuss this further"
My managers response was, "This is fine but I would like to see the appointment letter"
Now, I know she has the right to ask to see this, I do feel that she approched this wrong as I was open to discuss the topic as it was affecting a whole day and feel that maybe this should have been done prior to her asking for the appointment letter, but nevermind.
My question is, am I allowed to redact some info on the letter? And how much is acceptable? I want to take out all information relating to diabetes. Am I being really petty by doing this? Or is this ok? She will still see the appointment data, time and location, and the office NHS letter header etc. Would this be sufficient? Or would it cause more problems?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @rhiannab13 I don't know where you stand legally, however for the sake of ensuring you are in a position to attend the appointment I would just take the letter in to show her, I don't think there is any issue with her seeing any of the content on this, as she knows you are type 1 so it shouldn't be a problem.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would just show the letter to your boss......

I used to do it but my boss trusts me now....

thats the place you want to be aiming for in the boss/employee relationship...

Reactions: Jane1955 and Prem51

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
What are you concerned about in your letter? Does it contain phrases like "poorly controlled diabetic" or go into detail about the extent of retinopathy? If it does, I would take that as an opportunity to have an open discussion with your manager about the condition.

Personally, I'd just show the letter (or text message as is often the case for us these days).

Reactions: gvintagedrken

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take a photo of the letter on my phone and email it to my manager.
She says 'thanks' and that is the end of it.
It is just a tick box exercise she is required to go through to verify my absence from work in case there are any repercussions at a later date.

Reactions: gvintagedrken

rhiannab13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What are you concerned about in your letter? Does it contain phrases like "poorly controlled diabetic" or go into detail about the extent of retinopathy? If it does, I would take that as an opportunity to have an open discussion with your manager about the condition.

Personally, I'd just show the letter (or text message as is often the case for us these days).

Well that's what I wanted to do to be honest. To have a discussion so I could explain the reason the appointment takes the entire day (but I also wanted to give her a chance to not have to discuss it if she didnt want to)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Mine always took a few hours afterwards to recover, but normally a morning of afternoon covered it quite well.
I guess they could ask why you wanted the whole day off.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am quite fortunate in that I take a whole day of paid leave for any diabetic appointments, this covers the time to travel back and forth to the workplace and the travel to hospital.....

I even have to go to Ophthalmology every 3 months now and its still OK....I have a good boss though...;)

rhiannab13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine always took a few hours afterwards to recover, but normally a morning of afternoon covered it quite well.
I guess they could ask why you wanted the whole day off.
I have never really recovered that fast unfortunately... I had an appointment around midday and was still recoiling from light at 7PM - I was the idiot on the underground with sunglasses on!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Seems like a reasonable request from your employer and nothing to be concerned about, when you show them the letter take the opportunity to explain what the Eye Screening entails. Good luck.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @rhiannab13 On my last apt I asked if it was necessary for the drops and was told that as long as the images were clear then drops weren't necessary, so I had the screening done without, now I guess it depends on who you see on the day and what they require, but as long as they get very clear images they are ok to do the test without the drops so it can lessen the impact on your day.

Voodoorising

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your employer is entitled to ask as others have said. Leaving out the point you are Diabetic is like your in denial or have some thing to hide. It can work to your advantage at times for example in my job I due to its nature I don't really have fixed meal times and when things get a bit busy or mad and I need to go eat its easy for me to say sorry boss I need to go eat before my BS drops. He knows I am diabetic and doesn't argue the point we're as before I was diagnosed he would.

The point is as a diabetic you are covered under the equalities and disability act. Your employer owes you a duty of care and your entitled to go to any appointments related to your illness.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think your manager just wants to be able to say 'I saw the letter' if there is ever any question asked from higher up the chain. Management can be fraught and full of accusations and blame.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Your employer is entitled to ask as others have said. Leaving out the point you are Diabetic is like your in denial or have some thing to hide. It can work to your advantage at times for example in my job I due to its nature I don't really have fixed meal times and when things get a bit busy or mad and I need to go eat its easy for me to say sorry boss I need to go eat before my BS drops. He knows I am diabetic and doesn't argue the point we're as before I was diagnosed he would.

The point is as a diabetic you are covered under the equalities and disability act. Your employer owes you a duty of care and your entitled to go to any appointments related to your illness.

You are entitled, but at times it is difficult for the employer to know what you are entitled to.
They have a duty to make reasonable adjustments, the definition of 'reasonable' usually becomes the issue.
Even on this thread, it appeared the same appointment or eye screening seems to have ranged from taking a brief period, without any eye drops, to half a day, to an entire day.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @rhiannab13 On my last apt I asked if it was necessary for the drops and was told that as long as the images were clear then drops weren't necessary, so I had the screening done without

**dreams of the day **
I have to remind them each time that I am a poor dilater,and need the stronger drops. They seem unsure, but I press it - it only wastes everyone's time if they don't give me them.
I don't need sunglasses afterwards, even in strong sunlight.
** adds this feature to his list of 'being a bit odd' **

At least I'm fully functional afterwards - more time saved !
Geoff

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have my diabetic eye screening coming up and I let my employer know saying:
"I have an appointment on... due to the nature of this appointment I would be unable to travel into work afterwards or work from home. Please let me know if this is ok or if you would like to discuss this further"
My managers response was, "This is fine but I would like to see the appointment letter"
Now, I know she has the right to ask to see this, I do feel that she approched this wrong as I was open to discuss the topic as it was affecting a whole day and feel that maybe this should have been done prior to her asking for the appointment letter, but nevermind.
My question is, am I allowed to redact some info on the letter? And how much is acceptable? I want to take out all information relating to diabetes. Am I being really petty by doing this? Or is this ok? She will still see the appointment data, time and location, and the office NHS letter header etc. Would this be sufficient? Or would it cause more problems?

If I answer this from a people manager's perspective, your Manager is likely only covering her own back.

You have described to her that you need time off for your appointment, plus whatever is left of the working day when it'over. Unless she satisfies herself this is necessary, she could be setting a precedent that if folks have an appointment, they're off for the remainder of the day. That could be more than half a day or 10 minutes for all we know.

I can't imagine she'll be interested in the content for the letter, but in your shoes, I'd point out the text within the letter reminding you it is unsafe to drive after the examination and on that basis you may need someone to attend with you.

All she is probably doing is to ensure lots of morning appointments don't become whole day absences.

Good luck with your scan. I had mine yesterday.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with others that your boss is just covering her back.

If there is something in the letter you really don't want your manager to see then you may be able to arrange to show the letter to someone in HR instead? I've seen this in policies about doctors notes.

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
Whenever I have appointments for eye checks,diabetologist, etc I always ask for an appointment as late as possible so it doesn't affect my whole day.Then so just need to leave half an hour before the end of my working day to get to my appointment and then recover in my own time at home late pm/evening.
If my appointment is too early in the day I just reappoint it.