A diet and exercise plan that actually works for insulin resistance?

jettcrash11

I have insulin resistance. My insulin level fasting is 24/25. I've been having trouble losing the hundred pounds I put on for more than a year now. I eat pretty healthy and I do exercise, sometimes I eat carbs. But when I do or don't eat carbs it doesn't make much of a difference. I went to a doctor recently and they said to cut out carbs completely. Which is something I plan to do. But is there anybody out there with insulin resistance that reversed it and lost weight? And if so what did your diet plan look like for the day and how much exercise did you do? I really want to fix this and the answers I found online so far are too mixed and confusing to put into a daily lifestyle. I need a plan that works for this issue and that will help me get rid of this weight now.

Reactions: Looseboy

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Pretty much every T2 is insulin resistant to one degree or another because hyperinsulinemia is the first stages of developing T2 long before blood sugars rise. Too much insulin causes the resistance. Reducing or eliminating carbs can help reduce insulin levels in the body which will help with insulin resistance and weight loss. Exercise at any level will help too. It may be worth talking to your doctor about metformin as well. Very low carb will help with weight loss but it is a lifestyle change, not a diet. If you lose the weight with low carb and then go back to old eating patterns the weight will come back at an astonishing rate. (voice of experience here :banghead:o_O) Just remember that even at no carb the weight may take time to come off and it can go in fits and starts so don't get discouraged. Also make sure you are eating enough fat to keep you from constant hunger. Good luck.

Reactions: Looseboy

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @jettcrash11

If you want a suggested plan, try looking at the Dietdoctor website. There is a lot of general information about cutting out carbs and also a 14 day plan to get you started:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/diet-meal-plan

Also have a look at the low carb forum which has a thread where people share what they've eaten during the day:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-461#post-1472742

Personally I am eating around 20-30g carbs a day. I've gradually built up exercise - just walking, so no expensive gym fees - by looking for ways to add extra walking into my days. I now get off the train a stop earlier in the morning on the way to work, and return back to that station on the way home and where possible, go for a brisk 20 minute walk at lunchtime. As I lost weight and got a bit more mobile, I increased the pace. In essence, you need to find something you can sustain.

Since your doctor has advised you to try cutting out carbs, you'll be able to get good advice from them on how the change in diet might interact with any medication you are taking. Good luck and do come back and ask as many questions as you like.

I'm also going to tag @daisy1 who will send some information for newbies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Serena51
S

serenity648

I have insulin resistance. My insulin level fasting is 24/25. I've been having trouble losing the hundred pounds I put on for more than a year now. I eat pretty healthy and I do exercise, sometimes I eat carbs. But when I do or don't eat carbs it doesn't make much of a difference. I went to a doctor recently and they said to cut out carbs completely. Which is something I plan to do. But is there anybody out there with insulin resistance that reversed it and lost weight? And if so what did your diet plan look like for the day and how much exercise did you do? I really want to fix this and the answers I found online so far are too mixed and confusing to put into a daily lifestyle. I need a plan that works for this issue and that will help me get rid of this weight now.

Can you tell me what you mean by your insulin fasting level? And how do you know your problem is insulin resistance? I am surprised your doctor told you to cut out carbs completely - are you in the UK?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I would have a look at Jason Fung's blog Intensive Dietary Management.
He goes into a great deal of fascinating detail about the cause and practicalities of insulin resistance, as well as giving some excellent advice on dealing with it.

Here is a link.
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/?s=insulin+resistance

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Newcastle Diet, and exercise.

Seems to do the trick definitely, those who have followed the diet fully appear to have much improved insulin resistance.

Certainly losing a lot of weight quickly is a very important factor.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Weight training and low carb worked for me