Fat to eat it or not

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well it has been a few months now since a few people said in the media said fat is not bad anymore. Just wondered how many of you then started to eat more saturated and full fats and how many are still happier doing low/lower fat. I have noticed on the forum that not so much is talked about high fat as it was and many while doing low carb still seem to be doing lower fat . The fat thing has really not taken off amongst the general public as food and dairy is still mostly promoted as low fat being better for us. How do you personally feel about it and did you start doing high fat and now do lower

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't eats loads of fat - don't particularly like it - very very little dairy and don't eat a lot of animal fat. Eat loads of avocado, evoo, a few nuts, a bit of butter. I don't look for low fat so any fat I eat is full fat but don't look for high fat either if that makes sense lol - the only thing I do eat lower fat is half fat creme fraiche but that's a taste thing not a fat thing

Reactions: matytheman

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been doing full fat dairy for the past 5 years. Apart from that, I mostly just eat the fat that comes along with the protein. I don't think I've increased/decreased as a result of anything except taste.

Reactions: dbr10

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Butter on my veg,butter on my meat, butter on my butter and cream in my coffee.. I'm now the lowest weight I have been in the last 35 years. I eat all the fat on my meat and often finish off other's if they don't want it. Keto all the way!

lindisfel

Expert
Hi, normally have three fried eggs lightly done in extra virgin olive oil. Quite a lot of olive oil that is and I soak the surplus up with flaked almonds. At lunch I snack on walnuts, some low salt cheese and usually have a few blueberries in full fat yogurt. I add a little coconut fat to my walnuts. Evening I have low salt butter with green veg and protein etc. I am at target weight and at a bmi of 22 I am slim enough already. I am not suggesting any of you should eat low salt foods but I have to. Fat is my friend else I would waste away. We are all different. D.

dipsydo

As it has been said we are all different I would not say I am high fat but I do not worry about fat and eat butter, cream and cheese but not do not drink milk as do not like it. I am not very fond of fatty meat but like crackling and really like to olives and nuts but too many nuts have too much protein in them . The fat content makes me feel full so works well for me.

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
When I first started keto in June 15 I monitored everything closely and used to eat between 100g to 140g of fat. TBH I found it hard work. I now only measure carbs but guestimate my fat intake to be in the region of 80g. Unlike some on here my cholesterol starts to rise if I go over 100g and while i'm not massively concerned about cholesterol I keep my eye on it. I alternate between butter, olive oil, cold pressed rapeseed, lard and coconut oils depending on what i'm making. In short I am a high fat advocate but not batshit crazy high fat! :angelic::hungry:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat all dairy in quantity, cook with butter or duck/goose fat, eat at least 3 small tins of red salmon a week plus other fish. I use milled flaxseed. I really do not like olives, olive oil or avocados and nor does my husband, so they are off the menu. I also have an aversion to nuts, which started when I was a child. I'm not allergic but they make me gag as soon as they hit my tongue, so they are off the menu. However, although I eat red meat I always choose lean cuts and cut off any fat and rind (this is a taste matter, not a deliberate choice). I never eat chicken skin. The only meat fat I do eat is crispy bacon. Bacon and sausages are grilled. Low fat products of any description are banned from the house.

I would also waste away if I went low fat, or even lower fat.

I lost 4 and a half stone in the first 9 or 10 months to reach goal and have maintained this since 2014. My cholesterol improved and continues to do so test on test. In fact, when first diagnosed I was given statins. Knowing no better I took them for 3 months. My first test a few months after stopping them showed better results than when I was taking them!

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Butter, double cream. high fat yogurt, olive oil. nuts. oily fish. cheeses. crackling, crispy skin on duck and chicken. Loving the lifestyle and feeling great. Fatty liver totally gone, kidneys great, 2 stones lost and rest of excess weight slowly going. skin and hair the best it's been for years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldvatr

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My diet always comes out to 80% fat yet I don't think I'm HIGH fat as it's probably the same amount or less than someone not doing lchf.

Always an avocado a day, large if possible. I used to weigh each meal for reference and I'm about 2oz per meal and sometimes a spoonful for snack.

I have about an ounce of nuts throughout the day. Maybe less

Mayo on tuna salmon or egg salad. Olive oil on dinner salad. None is gobbled.

I eat the fat that comes with my protein but never skins and always baked or sauted if fish. I buy lean red meat and lamb and cut visible fat. I do enjoy the occasional burger of course. I don't eat fatty bacon or pork sausages and prefer chicken sausages.

Just recently started eating a little cheese before dinner with my cocktail. This I put a little butter on but otherwise rarely eat butter.

My avocado sustains me better than any other fat which is why I eat some at every meal. Without it I get hungry shortly after. I keep saturated fats on the low side and nothing fried but this isnfor difestion purposes as well. Mono fats are easier on my sensitive stomach and helps keep cholesterol lower as does the avocado.

So... the question is, is this high fat because it's 80% of my diet? Or normal fat because it's not gobbled or swimming in fat? Just an average amount that most people would use.

I remember the low fat high carb days and feel my stomach bloating as I type. I never felt worse.
I also remember just eating protein and lots of red meat slathered in butter. Didn't feel so good then either.
I consider my meals balanced but many might not. Avocado and raw veg for bf. Lunch is avoacdo, 2 oz protein and some raw or cooked veg. Dinner is avocado, 2-3 oz protein, some veg and a small salad. Snacks are nuts or a scoop of avocado and recently some melted cheese and a few veg. I don't eat large anything but I do eat often. Seems if my stomach goes to long empty I get nauseous.

Sorry. Long answer to a simple question lol.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Well it has been a few months now since a few people said in the media said fat is not bad anymore. Just wondered how many of you then started to eat more saturated and full fats and how many are still happier doing low/lower fat. I have noticed on the forum that not so much is talked about high fat as it was and many while doing low carb still seem to be doing lower fat . The fat thing has really not taken off amongst the general public as food and dairy is still mostly promoted as low fat being better for us. How do you personally feel about it and did you start doing high fat and now do lower
Any diet requires some fat content. The body needs some fats and lipids to maintain a healthy internal environment, it acts as a cushioning agent around internal organs and under the skin. Too little and the internal organs can start forming adhesions. Even so, too much and it becomes harmful.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems then that people do vary in the amount of fat they eat. I for instance do not eat red meat as in pork beef or lamb do not like them I will eat venison and duck without the skin and if on the rare occasion I have sausages they have to be chicken or venison ones I also eat fish If I make a cottage pie I use Quorn or turkey mince because I hate the taste of beef mince. I eat quite a lot of full fat cheese of all kinds and I am using a little more butter than I did but I am not a cream lover and yogurts I eat can be full or low fat. I do eat a lot of avocados, eggs and some nuts and olives and use coconut, olive and virgin rapeseed oils. I suppose my fat intake apart from the cheese is more from the avocados, nuts and oils than saturated fats

Last edited:

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I eat lots of natural animal fat (beef and pork) and no plant derived fat. I feel great.

Reactions: zand

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I eat quite a bit of fat. I really enjoy all dairy except milk. I eat far more fried breakfasts since I was diagnosed. I have just discovered ghee - love it in bulletproof coffee.

All my health indicators are hugely improved and I just feel so much better. Thank you fat!

Hotpepper20000

I believe strongly that for me eating full fat has been key in keeping me full and helping me lose 50 pounds.
I have two coffees in the morning with full fat cream. And eat the skin on chicken. I eat avodocos, olives, salmon and various cheeses.
I put butter on my vegtables.
After not knowing why I felt so sick for over ten years it is such a relief to be feeling so great!!!

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I believe strongly that for me eating full fat has been key in keeping me full and helping me lose 50 pounds.
I have two coffees in the morning with full fat cream. And eat the skin on chicken. I eat avodocos, olives, salmon and various cheeses.
I put butter on my vegtables.
After not knowing why I felt so sick for over ten years it is such a relief to be feeling so great!!!
Starving yourself of lipids creates excessive hunger as the body craves fat. It is an essential part if any diet. Without it, the body becomes stressed and will drive you to seek it out. It becomes obssession and too much is absorbed to be healthy. Even body builders will tell you the same thing. They need fat to fuel their tremendous workout regimen. Prior to contests they will reduce it drastically to get that lean and cut look. But it costs them dearly over long term.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Starving yourself of lipids creates excessive hunger as the body craves fat. It is an essential part if any diet. Without it, the body becomes stressed and will drive you to seek it out. It becomes obssession and too much is absorbed to be healthy. Even body builders will tell you the same thing. They need fat to fuel their tremendous workout regimen. Prior to contests they will reduce it drastically to get that lean and cut look. But it costs them dearly over long term.
How much fat is to much and how would people know if they were having to much.